Should CPJ be the coach in 2014?

Should Paul Johnson be the GT coach in 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So his record doesn't matter? It is year 6 and there is no excuses to be had anymore. By the way CPJ was the one who hired Groh and Wommack.

I am not pulling against GT or CPJ..I would never do that...But losing to VT, Miami, UGA for the last four years is not good to me. I think GT can and should be better than that.

I am hoping we turn it around and win out...But our recent performance is not what it should be.

Fair enough. smh

gtdrew

Banned
I think Ken Whisenhunt is more realistic than some people think. How many multiple time letterwinners @ gt have also coached in super bowls? He'd have t oget a head job between now and this job opening to be off the table. I also think we cannot possibly overstate how important it is that the next HC be a Tech alum. I think "the Hill" is conquerable, but it has to be someone that has been through the ringer at Georgia Tech. The admissions board isn't just going to listen to some yahoo former OC, but a guy who graduated from Ma Tech and has come home? I think he'd get more leeway...

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Ken Whisenhunt is more realistic than some people think. How many multiple time letterwinners @ gt have also coached in super bowls? He'd have t oget a head job between now and this job opening to be off the table. I also think we cannot possibly overstate how important it is that the next HC be a Tech alum. I think "the Hill" is conquerable, but it has to be someone that has been through the ringer at Georgia Tech. The admissions board isn't just going to listen to some yahoo former OC, but a guy who graduated from Ma Tech and has come home? I think he'd get more leeway...
I'd think it would be interesting to see. The biggest problem I would have with Whisenhunt is that since he was in the NFL, he will want to run a pro-style offense, which wouldn't be very easy with the personnel we have currently.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, the guys we have aren't running the system they were recruited for very well. Would it be that much worse in a pro-style?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I would hope that it would be better. I just think that with the personnel that we have, that if we do indeed fire CPJ, they will look for someone who runs a somewhat similar offense, but possibly more dynamic.

gtdrew

Banned
If Whisenhunt is interested, he should get the job. I'm sure he'd be smart enough to hire an OC who could throw something together with what we have.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Drew, a lot of what you say is true but I just don't see him coming. He had 2 years as a collegiate assistant and moved on to the NFL. He's got a great gig as OC at San Diego and given the nature of the NFL he one firing from being an NFL head coach again. He also lack the experience recruiting and the daily grind of handling 100 plus 17-23 year old players. As much as I like him I just don't think he's going to come back to the collegiate ranks even at Tech.

gtdrew

Banned
It just makes too much sense. He's talked for years about his time at Georgia Tech being the single biggest influence into his decision to coach. And I'm telling you, I think certain higher-ups in the non-football departments would listen to a guy who did as well as he did academically at Georgia Tech.

gtdrew

Banned
Drew, a lot of what you say is true but I just don't see him coming. He had 2 years as a collegiate assistant and moved on to the NFL. He's got a great gig as OC at San Diego and given the nature of the NFL he one firing from being an NFL head coach again. He also lack the experience recruiting and the daily grind of handling 100 plus 17-23 year old players. As much as I like him I just don't think he's going to come back to the collegiate ranks even at Tech.
I think five or ten years ago you'd probably be right. I've heard more than once that his departure from Arizona left a bad taste in his mouth, and I honestly think if Tech made him a good offer he'd come home. He's over fifty now, and he could return to his home state and Alma Mater a hero.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Short answer: no

Long answer: definitely no

CPJ won't be fired because we can't buy him out, it will have to wait after next year. But man his record over the past 3 years is utterly abysmal.

He should be gone, but he won't be. Unless one of you boys can pony up around 15 million.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Rob if I remember correctly his buyout after this year would be approximately 7.8MM and I suspect it would be paid over a period of time. Hewitt's buyout was much higher so if the powers that be want to be done with CPJ this isn't going to be a barrier.