Should CPJ be the coach in 2014?

Should Paul Johnson be the GT coach in 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know what other options we have.

Maybe let Roof run the show and bring in a up and comer spread offensive coordinator?

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I couldn't stand how he hyped up JT to play this week and he played ONE real drive. Putting him in with 1 minute left doesn't count. The playcalling was horrible. Vad and JT are undercoached. Don't know how to scan the field. They have that go to receiver that the ball is going to before the ball is even hiked. I don't mind those kind of plays when they are good well-timed curls but our plays don't look well-rehearsed.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what other options we have.

Maybe let Roof run the show and bring in a up and comer spread offensive coordinator?

I think Tech has a pretty good one on the staff by the name of Bryan Cook. He offense coaching credentials are pretty solid. Trouble is that CPJ doesn't let him have more in game input.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I haven't seen a realistic name in this thread as far as next HC goes.

We would have to take OC somewhere IMO...

I can tell you that Mike Bobinski is not a patient man...so the rest of this year is big for CPJ.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
If money wasn't an issue, the only way CPJ could save his job is beating UGA. Money is an issue though, so no way he is gone next year IMO. At this point I have no idea who we would hire to replace him, but I'm sure there is someone worth giving a shot. I've been a huge CPJ supporter in the past, but after these past two games, I just don't see it working out. Hopefully they prove me wrong and win the next 7.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

I can tell you that Mike Bobinski is not a patient man...so the rest of this year is big for CPJ.

Eric, is Patterson unrealistic? He's done a great job at TCU but wouldn't making the move to a more visible conference be appealing to him? He knows what it's like to try and recruit in an area where everybody comes to recruit.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I agree that the play calling has been questionable. Today, it started with going to JT and the diamond when what we had been doing was working before the t-o.

However, bringing up the last two years is just as ignorant now as it was two weeks ago, imo. Our O was fine, and CPJ made changes to fix theD

I have concerns, but please Eric, don't become Jim Hart or Tyler in Atlanta,

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If money wasn't an issue, the only way CPJ could save his job is beating UGA. Money is an issue though, so no way he is gone next year IMO. At this point I have no idea who we would hire to replace him, but I'm sure there is someone worth giving a shot. I've been a huge CPJ supporter in the past, but after these past two games, I just don't see it working out. Hopefully they prove me wrong and win the next 7.
Same feelin here, and looking over the past 3 years we have underperformed, I'm so optimistic but I'm really starting to think this is gonna keep happening over and over. Gotta make a change. Either CPJ make a change or Georgia Tech make a change.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

What do you think some realistic options are? Personally, the dream hire is Chad Morris, obviously. Another under the radar name could be Rich Rod. The problem with him (witch is the same with Morris) is that I don't think he would leave where he's at now. A guy I've been high on the last couple years, though unlikely, is Willie Taggart (and yes, I know USF sucks this year). Maybe another few names to look out for: Jake Spavital (OC from A&M), Tim DeRuyter (HC from Fresno), Jeff Mullen (worked with Pat White at WV; current OC at Charlotte), Phil Montgomery (OC from Baylor), or Bob Stitt (who is just a personal favorite of mine)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Eric, is Patterson unrealistic? He's done a great job at TCU but wouldn't making the move to a more visible conference be appealing to him? He knows what it's to try and recruit in an area where everybody comes to recruit.

Unfortunately he's unrealistic because what he's done at TCU can't be duplicated here due to academic constraints. That's the big problem IMHO. If we were at a normal place I'd be completely off the CPJ bandwagon.

Today I felt we were in control until he started overthinking things. He has an ability to navigate our admission pitfalls and put a decent product out there. Too bad he's shooting himself in the foot via playcalling and personnel decisions.

In terms of a realistic candidate, I don't think there are many out there. Do we go with Monken for the sake of continuity? I think we have to go with a guy that's more recruiter than coach (which I hate).

Pardon my nonsensical ramblings but this has been a long 2 weeks. When's bball season?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Best case scenario I'd like LSU to suck it hard this year and can Les Miles. If love to grab him. But that's a long long long shot. I'd like a good defensive coordinator as our next Head coach. I'm tired of watching teams pick us apart and run through and around us.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Best case scenario I'd like LSU to suck it hard this year and can Les Miles. If love to grab him. But that's a long long long shot. I'd like a good defensive coordinator as our next Head coach. I'm tired of watching teams pick us apart and run through and around us.
any specific names come to mind?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't come here even if he got fired

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Eric, I am with you on this last sentence. If this year is mediocre or falls apart, I see Bobinski putting his own stamp on the program. I really like CPJ, but the results haven't been there since '09.

After this game, I feel like I've got a pretty good idea of what we have in this team this season. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be better than last year's group.

I'm not sure who we would get as a HC. I'll say this though: there is no way a guy like Fitzgerald leaves Northwestern. That guy has turned down much better jobs.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"We all saw the same crap under Gailey and it's repeating itself under Johnson."

Gentlemen,
With all due respect, what do you expect? Do you not know the history of the Institute re football?
The record of Georgia Tech football for the 1970 through the 2013 seasons is 275 - 232 - 8. How many games over .500 is that?

For the record I voted to keep Johnson. He is doing better than most of his predecessors. (You might check me on this statement.)
But then, I am not an alumnus, so I am not sure I am entitled to a vote.

I was in church this PM and missed most off the game. So I will hold off game comments until I see the replay.

My # 2 team UT gave one to UGA and that really stinks. I can take getting beat, but not giving it away.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
First of all, I agree that the play calling has been questionable. Today, it started with going to JT and the diamond when what we had been doing was working before the t-o.

However, bringing up the last two years is just as ignorant now as it was two weeks ago, imo. Our O was fine, and CPJ made changes to fix theD

I have concerns, but please Eric, don't become Jim Hart or Tyler in Atlanta,

So his record doesn't matter? It is year 6 and there is no excuses to be had anymore. By the way CPJ was the one who hired Groh and Wommack.

I am not pulling against GT or CPJ..I would never do that...But losing to VT, Miami, UGA for the last four years is not good to me. I think GT can and should be better than that.

I am hoping we turn it around and win out...But our recent performance is not what it should be.

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
So his record doesn't matter? It is year 6 and there is no excuses to be had anymore. By the way CPJ was the one who hired Groh and Wommack.

I am not pulling against GT or CPJ..I would never do that...But losing to VT, Miami, UGA for the last four years is not good to me. I think GT can and should be better than that.

I am hoping we turn it around and win out...But our recent performance is not what it should be.

I would be nervous if you weren't at least questioning CPJ a little bit Eric. I think all of that is normal. Anyone who isn't is content being a 7-5 team is going to complain (which is what we will end up being this year). I think it's unacceptable.

Also CPJ should tell the guys that can't cut block to just stand up and block. That is what's hurting us big time.