Shotgun center snap rhythm and timing of snap for the D

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It seems that shotgun centers and pistol centers have a rhythm to making the snap since they look and blind snap. Question for former players, is this true? Is it something that is looked for by our D? Never heard it discussed and am curious.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Your point is generally correct however much of the perceived center snap "rhythm" is dependent on two distinct and separate variables:

The Center calling out blocking schemes based on the play to be run; and

The QB making audibles that impact and effect the interior blocking schemes being called by the Center before the snap is actually accomplished.

If you remember the National Championship Game a few years ago when Bama was playing I believe Notre Dame and were beating them pretty badly into the 4th Quarter, there was a major argument on the field prior to a play being run by Bama's offense because the Center and QB were doing their jobs and the QB forgot that the Center retains Veto Power until he snaps the football.

The starting Bama Center; "Barrett" and QB-AJ McCarron were yelling at each other after the QB called for a time out when the play clock was running down and he (McCarron) was coming off the field yelling at Barrett who was yelling right back at him.

If you watched the replay the QB-McCarron was clapping his hands for the Center to snap the football, but Barrett (Center) ignored that demand because he (Center) had to get the offensive line blocking correct for a blitz by the Domers. So either McCarron changed the play requiring a blocking adjustment, or the Domers shifted into a blitz requiring a split second change to be made by the Center before the ball would be snapped to prevent a potential disaster from happening.

They rythm of the shotgun snap can be easily picked up by watching the QB clapping for the football, or the center bending his headdown looking at the QB then squaring up momentarily for a second prior to snapping the football. So a D-Lineman can guess right or jump offsides and look stupid if the Center is changing up blocking schemes for a multitude of reasons.

Reinforcing the point that everyone involved in the game knows first hand, and that is the CENTER is the most critical piece of any play being run correctly BEFORE ever snapping the football to the QB.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for response. I am going to watch more closely at replays and this coming year. Didn't realize center had veto power. Seems the QB gives OK with hand claps or leg movement and center looks back and raises head and snaps. Not sure how the count enters in. My playing days were the 50s and not as complicated at NAIA level.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
@cuttysark I had no idea that the Center owns that. I had to go back and watch the Bama "shove" on youtube. Very cool. I like how Barrett responded when AJ was pitching a fit.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't get too excited. It's basically the same as a change up in a regular snap count as far as anticipating the snap. Centers practice using a different rythm to keep the D from getting a jump. It's not new in this day and age.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
@GTech63:

While everyone tries to make football more complicated than it really is, nothing has changed from your era (50's) or mine (70's) as football is still blocking; tackling; and toughness. That's is why I really enjoy CPJ's triple option offense. If you can run and stop the other team from running you will win more games than you lose.

@furant:

I was waiting for Barrett to get right into the grill of AJ as the Center is in charge of all line calls prior to the snap. AJ was out of line and he knew it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The one advantage the OL has is knowing the snap count. Remove that equation when only the center knows. Now all they can do is hold. :)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
listen. and this is really one of those things that is rumor BS and move on.

There is no advantage to any D vs the O we run with snap count and guessing based on motion. We can double count during the motion and we do. And we snap at various points in the AB motion. If it was so easy, and so simple, and such a flaw in our system...it would have been broken by now...and its not. #1 in the ACC. top in the country in many categories

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
listen. and this is really one of those things that is rumor BS and move on.

There is no advantage to any D vs the O we run with snap count and guessing based on motion. We can double count during the motion and we do. And we snap at various points in the AB motion. If it was so easy, and so simple, and such a flaw in our system...it would have been broken by now...and its not. #1 in the ACC. top in the country in many categories
I thought we were talking about the shotgun?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
How does Clemson/Oregon get the line blocking called prior to the snap? Are the assignments predetermined? I have never figured that out in a hurry up.