Short Note for 8/14 Practice

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thursday was an up-tempo, 23-period practice in full pads, and both the offense and defense stepped up with big plays in the 11-on-11 drills to end practice.

The first-, second- and third-teams alternated drives from inside the 40-yard line, and Harrison Butker's field goal from 41 yards capped the first possession. Later in the drill, senior Zach Laskey busted free at the line and followed a wall of blockers 25 yards for a touchdown. An Isaiah Johnson interception on third-and-short was the statement play for the defense.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/14-preseason.html

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Kinda like spring ball. If the offense scores is it the offense is good or the defense bad? Or vice versa? Ready for real ball.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Now, I am left here trying to figure out how the interception happened, especially why we didn't run the ball on 3rd and short.

Armchair QB'ing a practice :)

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I give up. What is a period? Don't come back with some female curse stuff.
Periods are what the practice is dived up into for various drills and groups etc. i.e. some are just for drills for your position some are for 7 on 7 with the oline and dline doing something else. Basically anything that goes on in practice. I think most of them are about 8-10 minutes. There is usually a horn or something to signify when one ends.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Periods are what the practice is dived up into for various drills and groups etc. i.e. some are just for drills for your position some are for 7 on 7 with the oline and dline doing something else. Basically anything that goes on in practice. I think most of them are about 8-10 minutes. There is usually a horn or something to signify when one ends.
Thanks! It is a planning device to stay on schedule to meet your practice goals.
Do we do "wind sprints" at end of a practice, scrimmage or not? I hated that part of practice more than anything.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, the defense should be good and have an advantage against an offense they play everyday.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, the defense should be good and have an advantage against an offense they play everyday.
The old saw among coaches used to be that in practice defenses always start out ahead of offenses and it only begins to even up once you get closer to the season and especially as you begin to run scout team defenses. It would be a concern if the offense was dominating every practice. That would say terrible things about the defense.

I'm agreeing with you.

Animal02

Banned
It is not so much that the first string D plays the first string O every day, but that they are well aware of specific plays and tendencies.

Even back in my early H.S. days playing on the scout defense, it was pretty easier to recognize certain plays......traps etc and know to step out of the way (pissing off the coaches instead of taking the hit) Opponents will not have that advantage.

Ramblin Wrecker

Jolly Good Fellow
It is not so much that the first string D plays the first string O every day, but that they are well aware of specific plays and tendencies.

Even back in my early H.S. days playing on the scout defense, it was pretty easier to recognize certain plays......traps etc and know to step out of the way (pissing off the coaches instead of taking the hit) Opponents will not have that advantage.

I also remember times when my coach would yell to run the same play again after poor execution. "If you run it correctly, you can tell the defense what you're going to do and they still won't be able to stop it."

Wouldn't be surprised if CPJ ascribed to this same philosophy.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I also remember times when my coach would yell to run the same play again after poor execution. "If you run it correctly, you can tell the defense what you're going to do and they still won't be able to stop it."

Wouldn't be surprised if CPJ ascribed to this same philosophy.
I think I have actually seen him exercise that philosophy in games. He once ran a counter play twice in a row (was it against NC State?). They messed up the blocks the first time; he ran it again and they got a touchdown with Orwin Smith running it. I have also seen him do it on inside plays.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ will see something the defense is doing that can be exploited with a play. He will call the play twice to hit the weakness twice or a second time becasue someone on the offense just got a block wrong but the play is still there.

CPJ did it in the Syracuse game on the counter option for JT.

Animal02

Banned
CPJ will see something the defense is doing that can be exploited with a play. He will call the play twice to hit the weakness twice or a second time becasue someone on the offense just got a block wrong but the play is still there.

CPJ did it in the Syracuse game on the counter option for JT.

Other times, I think he does it to condition the defense to react in a certain way, then catch them off guard with a counter.