Shawn Kagawa joins Georgia Tech

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Do you expect him to make an impact this season or a play a bigger depth role?

Special teams for sure. Depth role to start. Impact playing time if we get a lasting injury to either S or the nickel or if he proves himself in practice and the first 3 games. IMO he will earn some playing time in rotation. I like his energy and instincts and I believe he fits into the "ROOF" type play.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
One fine day in February, Kagawa flashed his physical abilities at the Nike combine on Oahu; his 40-yard time of 4.53 seconds was third and his vertical of 35.7 inches was second. He posted the second highest rating, and his athleticism caught the attention of University of Hawaii coach Norm Chow, who offered a scholarship a few days later. - See more at: http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/sec...ts/ultimate-warrior.html#sthash.6SGUJjHl.dpuf
I think this answers the questions about physical abilities

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have concerns that he has the speed to compete at this level. That being said, he has great instincts. Welcome.

why is that? S's are not fast....they need to get lined up, line the D up, tackle well, instincts and anticipate/play smart well. Then worry about speed. If this kid runs 4.55 or 4.6 its plenty fast to play S at the NCAA level and the NFL level. If he has good instincts, can hit he will be just fine.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/93

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hoping Mr. Kagawa relays good things back to Hawaii so we can get in on some of that Tongan talent. Utah and BYU seem to have a pipeline into those guys. They'd look good on our Dline.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hoping Mr. Kagawa relays good things back to Hawaii so we can get in on some of that Tongan talent. Utah and BYU seem to have a pipeline into those guys. They'd look good on our Dline.
Like this guy?

250px-Joe_Anoai.jpg

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not worried about his speed. While I place little stock in hand timed 40s on a single occasion anyway, it is obvious to the naked eye that he does not possess elite speed. However, he looks plenty fast to play the position at any level. Does anybody think he is slower than IJ? He appears to have instincts, athleticism, toughness, and a motor. He should be fine. We all thought Nesbitt would be a great Safety. Well, I am pretty sure this guy could keep up with Josh in a foot race. Best case, we have a guy who is a step slower version of Morgan Burnett. Worst case is that he is a tackling machine on special teams and a back up Safety. I can live with that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am not worried about his speed. While I place little stock in hand timed 40s on a single occasion anyway, it is obvious to the naked eye that he does not possess elite speed. However, he looks plenty fast to play the position at any level. Does anybody think he is slower than IJ? He appears to have instincts, athleticism, toughness, and a motor. He should be fine. We all thought Nesbitt would be a great Safety. Well, I am pretty sure this guy could keep up with Josh in a foot race. Best case, we have a guy who is a step slower version of Morgan Burnett. Worst case is that he is a tackling machine on special teams and a back up Safety. I can live with that.

Another poster pointed this out, and I agree, he doesn't look fast after 20-30 yards, but his short space quickness is above average and he reads the game well. When you're a safety, being able to read the game well and reacting to the play without "false steps" is more important than pure speed. Jemea is a great example of that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another poster pointed this out, and I agree, he doesn't look fast after 20-30 yards, but his short space quickness is above average and he reads the game well. When you're a safety, being able to read the game well and reacting to the play without "false steps" is more important than pure speed. Jemea is a great example of that.
Agree. Pure, flat out speed is always great to have. It can make up for small sins, and push you into elite category if the rest of your mental game and reactions are good enough. Conversely, you can only be so slow and remain competitive, no matter how good you read the offense, remember assignments, and tackle once you get there. Shawn is nowhere near slow enough to be in this category. I can assure you of that. I look forward to his arrival.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I saw a very good hands and ball catching ability.He sure gets a bunch of ints and then yardage on int returns.Hard to tell level of competition which is the real key.I could look good if the opponent was bad enough.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just tweeted this article out (@ShaunSwagz) - http://bigislandnow.com/2014/05/30/ks-hawaii-alum-kagawa-leaves-smu-signs-with-georgia-tech/

“After signing with SMU, I had some unforeseen problems with admissions, as well as the other two recruits from the Army that were with me,” Kagawa said. “I got released from my National Letter of Intent about a month or so ago actually, had some conversations with coach June Jones about it…He was really helpful. Coach (Rich) Ellerson also played a big part as well as coach Bob Wagner, former AD (at Kamehameha-Hawai`i).”