Shawn Jones Voted into GA Sports Hall of Fame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Jones was absolutely the best passer on the run to ever play Tech football, imho. As in:

Or:

Now, sports fans, you can't make throws like that without an arm like a cannon. You might also notice that he could run as well. I loved to watch Shawn play and I'm so glad he's in the Georgia HoF at last. Richly, richly deserved.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He was my all time favorite quarterback at Tech.
I want to have a beer with Ralph Friedgen one day. At the very top of the list of questions is this - Shawn or Joe? I go back and forth on this one myself and have never been able to settle it in my mind. Second question - did the fact that Shawn played with a great D and Joe didn't alter your game planning and/or in game strategy in any fashion? If I can set this meeting up, I will invite everyone here but understand it will be separate tabs for y'all. I will get Ralph's beers.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm surprised he wasn't elected in a long time ago. He was as reliable in crunch time as anyone who's played for us.
I agree. I don't even think our own fan base gave him his due respect. He was a great QB and fit the scheme perfectly.

The debate of Jones vs. Hamilton is really tough. I think most people would say Hamilton, but Jones has to be right there with him imo.

Congrats to him for a well deserved and long overdue recognition.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I want to have a beer with Ralph Friedgen one day. At the very top of the list of questions is this - Shawn or Joe? I go back and forth on this one myself and have never been able to settle it in my mind. Second question - did the fact that Shawn played with a great D and Joe didn't alter your game planning and/or in game strategy in any fashion? If I can set this meeting up, I will invite everyone here but understand it will be separate tabs for y'all. I will get Ralph's beers.
Count me in 😊

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Jones v. Hamliton? Dead tie, imho. Pushed to the wall, I'd take Shawn. The arm was equal to Joe's and Shawn was bigger and could run harder. Oth … Shawn also had the best crew of WRs in Tech history. How could you not look good throwing the ball with Rodriguez, Merchant, Covington, Lester, and the others to throw to?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Most on this forum did not get to see Jones play. His play the National Championship year was stellar. His being voted in the HOF is well deserved. Hamilton was also great with the tutelage of Fridgen, but Jones is arguably the best QB Tech has had play. Just my opinion.

I was at the game in the previous videos. The dawgs go up early. By the end of the third quarter, the dawg fans had their tails between their legs and the stadium emptied. What a glorious day.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Another conversation I would pay to attend.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to get Ralph to come speak to the GT Lunch Bunch at Hudson Grille.

slugboy

Staff member
Jones v. Hamliton? Dead tie, imho. Pushed to the wall, I'd take Shawn. The arm was equal to Joe's and Shawn was bigger and could run harder. Oth … Shawn also had the best crew of WRs in Tech history. How could you not look good throwing the ball with Rodriguez, Merchant, Covington, Lester, and the others to throw to?
Dez White, Steagall, Kelly Campbell, Harvey Middleton weren’t anything to sneeze at. Dez White was a blur going past everyone

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I will be there

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Hamilton had better WR core. Kelly Campbell, Dez White, Kerry Watkins, etc