Shamire Devine's Hard Work

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Shamire is one of the guys I'm really looking forward to seeing this year. I love that Coach Sewak has joined him on some hikes and climbs. I think that says a lot. SD just needs to keep grinding. I think his NFL weight will be around 335-340.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm mostly glad that he's having more fun as he's buying in to expectations.

Also, can you imagine being the 5'10" buck 80 DB facing a pulling Shamire Devine?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
366 is still pretty damn big. 350 or less is still even pretty big, but would be much better. Hopefully he can make it

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
His statement “Football feels like football, but it’s more fun now,” Devine said when asked how his improved conditioning helps. “Back then, when I was fat, it sucked.” really stood out for me. I am glad he had the fortitude to stick with it during the time he felt "football sucked". You can bet he was tired of hearing about his weight and possibly thought about hanging up the cleats but instead he is working his butt off (not quite literally). That speaks volumes about his character.

Also hearing that other players on the o-line are joining him during his "bonus" workouts was great to hear. Nothing builds camaraderie like mutual suffering!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Haha, the writer does a good job capturing how droll he is. He's got this very flat affect, on top of a super dry sense of humor. Add his gigantic size, and strength, and talent and well, you've got a singular character.

He's a guy I anticipate you guys will be missing when he's gone, putting aside whatever he does on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Shamire will be just fine at 360. Like I keep saying, he's just naturally big. Losing 26lbs for a guy his size is also harder then it looks. It shows real dedication for him to keep his training schedule and diet straight over the summer. Good coaching too.

I look for lots of successful plays between GCG this year. Hope I'm right.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It's a strange thought to have, but not every player LOVES playing football. You see it last year with Gary Brown leaving the team to become an artist. You have to keep in mind that these players play football as a means of obtaining an education. So the statement about how it "sucked" playing when he was fat must have been tough. To have everyone tell him that he's such a naturally talented player destined for the NFL, but not really having your heart into it because of the physical strain. To hear that he's having fun now is incredibly encouraging. He's a great representative for Georgia Tech (especially since he's by all accounts a huge nerd). I want him to he successful and I want him to help our team. I want him in front of the mic after games showing off his personality. But most of all, I want him to leave GT feeling it was a good experience.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Good article.

Just seeing how hard our whole team worked this off season makes me think they understand the agony of defeat. I think we are going to surprise a few folks this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GREAT to hear. He's always had a pretty good self deprecating sense of humor. He's just shy around people he doesn't know.

For his health's sake, really glad to hear him dedicate himself to improving his conditioning. For his football career, I can pretty much guarantee you if he keeps this up, he just made himself millions of dollars. This guy is a potential All-American and future Sunday player. He's easily our most physically gifted OVERALL player on the team. Add more mobility for him to pull to the second level AND his natural strength? Lord, please have mercy on defenders in his path...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The sad part is that our D will be so improved that he won't get the rest in between series.

I am a betting man. Care to place a wager? Lets define "so improved". I'd put money on it that we don't finish ranked in the top 35 in total D....Or in ppd....

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am a betting man. Care to place a wager? Lets define "so improved". I'd put money on it that we don't finish ranked in the top 35 in total D....Or in ppd....

Well I hope you're disappointed, then.

Good grief. I don't want to ignore you, because you contribute some good stuff to the conversation, but your endless belly-aching about our defense seems to find it's way into every. single. thread.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well I hope you're disappointed, then.

Good grief. I don't want to ignore you, because you contribute some good stuff to the conversation, but your endless belly-aching about our defense seems to find it's way into every. single. thread.

I know it does. But ignoring someone for that is silly. And i want to lose that wager.

Just fyi. The belly aching about the d is with warrant. It statistically is what is holding us back from being a top 20 team every year under paul. The offensive numbers essentially prove it. I think we as fans have not put enough heat on this. In other fanbases it would be way worse.

Getting back on thread. Devines dedication with what is seeming to be a solid starting line should mean the O is back to top 1/3 ACC

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

LOL. Let's make it more fun.

If we are top 35 in Total D, then once a week thru 2017 you have to take my side in any GTSwarm discussion I choose with at least 5 posts and stop making your point on any topic I choose for that week, or you don't make any posts for 2 weeks as a replacement for my choices.

If we are not top 35 in Total D, then I have to abide by the same standard.