Shamire Devine update

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Shamire arrived at Tech almost 400 pounds...when Fall camp started he was in the 360 range. As of last week he was in the upper 350's.

The goal is to get him to 330. The rest of the Summer is going to be crucial as we need him to continue to have focus and not slack off.

Coaches were happy with his physical effort last week in the scrimmage

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We need all the help we can get on the line. Good line play is going to be critical for us to have a chance in the ACC this year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Reminds me a lot of the TJ Barnes story.

Glad he's made progress. As you say, his continued focus is crucial to him and us.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Eric, right now, is he basically the 3rd guard? What do you think the coaches want to do this year if they had their druthers? Do they see him as starting over Braun if he continues to focus and progress with his body (with maybe Braun going out to OT in that case)? Do they see him as splitting time with Braun if he can't get into the shape of an every-down OL? Or do they just see him as continuing as a backup this year and replacing Shaq next year?

I would think how the coaches see him, and thus how he sees himself this year will play a big role in his motivation. If he sees himself as a starter the team is depending on that might be more motivating than if he sees himself as a backup with next year being the year it gets more serious.

In your mind, who's better, him or Braun? How good is Devine right now, and how good can he be?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
First off he needs to be encouraged to lose weight for his own health.
I agree. BUT, how many people in real life do you think that motivates to the point that they actually do something?

My wife is in the healthcare field. Guess how she'd answer that question.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If this past Winter is any type of indicator of how hot this Summer will be (where guys truly get in shape, being out of shape in the spring is not that uncommon) then he will melt those 20lbs off

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I agree. BUT, how many people in real life do you think that motivates to the point that they actually do something?

My wife is in the healthcare field. Guess how she'd answer that question.
Yeah same here. You tell a diabetic if they don't lose weight soon you're likely going to have to take a foot or 2 from them and even that is not enough to scare them into losing weight. Not to mention that each lb above your waist torques each knee around 4 lbs give or take for speed when you walk/run. If Devine loses 70 lbs, lets say 50 of that is from his gut, his knees will be torqued 200 lbs less each step. That'll increase his longevity.

BUT Devine also has positive motivation/reinforcement to drop the weight. With his talent, if he's playing at 330 he'll be a monster and making millions in the NFL in a few years

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
How does a kid get such high ratings and regards when he is "overweight" even in high school...
Then when he gets on campus all of a sudden he needs to lose 50lbs?

The camp videos I have watched of him he is around 370lbs. He gets top lineman at the camp.
He can't play efficiently within our scheme at 370?

Let the kid eat d*** it! He will play better when he is full not famished.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
How does a kid get such high ratings and regards when he is "overweight" even in high school...
Then when he gets on campus all of a sudden he needs to lose 50lbs?

The camp videos I have watched of him he is around 370lbs. He gets top lineman at the camp.
He can't play efficiently within our scheme at 370?

Let the kid eat d*** it! He will play better when he is full not famished.
I thought he was around 330 at those camps in high school.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Makes a ton of sense to recruit a huge guy and be upset that he is a huge guy.

I was elated to sign Shamire. I have no clue how he fits with our OL philosophy.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Makes a ton of sense to recruit a huge guy and be upset that he is a huge guy.

I was elated to sign Shamire. I have no clue how he fits with our OL philosophy.

DSGB, were you there when CPJ recruited him, and have you seen him play? I am guessing that CPJ was quite up front with him that he would need to lose some weight and get in better shape once he got here, so I don't think there is anything inconsistent about recruiting him, as you suggest. Also, last scrimmage was the first time I have really had a chance to focus on him, and he is in such bad shape that I am not sure he could play in any offense right now. This is not a "CPJ offense" issue. This is an out of shape player issue. CPJ has stated a million times that he wants his OL as big as he can get them, so long as they are still mobile. I am not sure why folks have a hard time believing that.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Shamire arrived at Tech almost 400 pounds...when Fall camp started he was in the 360 range. As of last week he was in the upper 350's.

The goal is to get him to 330. The rest of the Summer is going to be crucial as we need him to continue to have focus and not slack off.

Coaches were happy with his physical effort last week in the scrimmage
Do you think his weight is the main reason he is not in the starting lineup and if he loses the weight he will break into the starting lineup?

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
shamire was 350 in high school .do to injury did not play much senior year surgery kept him from full work out after season which in turn allowed weight gain.a full year to work out and summer training should put him healthy as u guys put it .i seen him up close and he does not look overly big he has a gut (but ive seen the same gut on plenty football players nfl college ect .every thing else on the boy is solid .no one could of guess devine's weight now that its public record so many opinions. let him train do his thing stay injury free and help gt to a championship .he is over average that's what y'all wanted he can open a hole if take out two defenders at a time if told to execute the right play utilize him lay off some of the negative criticism.as far as scrimmages and non season games go .he doesn't need to go hard gt has enough injuries right now .gt needs to preserve devine for when it counts .if he can stay injury free .i know gt will be pleased

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let's see how he does this Friday. If the coaches were pleased with an effort that discouraged so many here, then I suspect something else is going on.

If Roberts doesn't return (and I sure do hope he does), then we'll need Devine to step up. I can almost guarantee that Braun will be at OT if Roberts can't answer the call. Then we'll need the big guy. If Roberts does come back, then Braun can stay at OG, Griffin can move in at OT (provided what people say here pans out) and all will be well. I hope.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, right now, is he basically the 3rd guard? What do you think the coaches want to do this year if they had their druthers? Do they see him as starting over Braun if he continues to focus and progress with his body (with maybe Braun going out to OT in that case)? Do they see him as splitting time with Braun if he can't get into the shape of an every-down OL? Or do they just see him as continuing as a backup this year and replacing Shaq next year?

I would think how the coaches see him, and thus how he sees himself this year will play a big role in his motivation. If he sees himself as a starter the team is depending on that might be more motivating than if he sees himself as a backup with next year being the year it gets more serious.

In your mind, who's better, him or Braun? How good is Devine right now, and how good can he be?

Yes as of now he is basically the #3 guard.

I think if they had a choice they would want Devine to win the job so they could move Braun to T if needed.

No I do not see him starting over Braun unless Braun goes to T.

I see him being the first guy off the bench at G and giving Mason and Braun breaks when needed.

On the bolded part...Devine is a very unique kid. What might motivate others would likely not have a impact on him.

As of right now Braun is better...I feel like people are underestimating him. He isnt a world beater but he showed some good things last year at times.

Devine is okay right now but has a long way to go.