Shaka Smart

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Why would Jaylen come play at GT? Other than proximity, I don't see the attraction

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why would Jaylen come play at GT? Other than proximity, I don't see the attraction
Early playing time, proximity, longstanding CBG relationship (CBG gave him his 1st offer), regardless of how long he stays in school, his mother is quite interested in his academic growth (I've seen him tweet that she'd just as soon see him go to Harvard)

The bottom line is if CBG doesn't land JB, then next year needs to show a HUGE turnaround. If he does land JB and other above average arecruits for 2015, he likely gets the Derrick Favors mulligan.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Early playing time...
Are we the only ones offering that. I think our best bet to get him would be to cancel Gregory at end of the year.

I think Jaylen is a beast, but I don't know if Sheffield and a new coach might not become more appealing. Maybe I'm just really down on Gregory right now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are we the only ones offering that. I think our best bet to get him would be to cancel Gregory at end of the year.

I think Jaylen is a beast, but I don't know if Sheffield and a new coach might not become more appealing. Maybe I'm just really down on Gregory right now.

Like Eric and dtm said, it's not just playing time. The relationship is important. Now, you make a decent point that a better coach and slightly less-heralded player may be a better mix for GT. It's not like we profited all that much from keeping Hewitt just to get Favors (I know it wasn't that simple).

It's a legit question IMO although you do sound a bit down on CBG (which no one can blame you for).

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
No, we aren't the only ones offering that, but it is something that not everyone would be offering. Hence, a reason that he would want to play at GT. Maybe he grew up a Tech fan, idk.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I think we're all down on the overall situation, but there are so many moving parts to this season.

Record is way below expectations, offensive game plan is not evident, wing development has not been there. Meanwhile, absurd amounts of injuries including our best player, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd string PGs, as well as other knocks, but Daniel Miller development has been nice to see.

The seat is definitely warm, if we land JB, it should stay warm, but make it to year 5. If no JB, then the seat becomes incredibly hot next season.

Honestly, given the oppty, I think we should take JB & Sheffield.

DSGB

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, given the oppty, I think we should take JB & Sheffield.
I'd like to lock Sheffield down now. It seems we are playing him as #2 to JB. JB is the truth, but I'd like to have Sheffield squeeze some of the underperforming Guards off the roster if possible. Hopefully they are close to graduation.

I think we will have 5 ships for next year's class. JB, Sheffield, PG, 2 big men.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd like to lock Sheffield down now. It seems we are playing him as #2 to JB. JB is the truth, but I'd like to have Sheffield squeeze some of the underperforming Guards off the roster if possible. Hopefully they are close to graduation.

I think we will have 5 ships for next year's class. JB, Sheffield, PG, 2 big men.

I say bring him in if we can. Sell it as two wings rather than an either/or situation. There's enough minutes for both IMO.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Things like this are why Shaka Smart is perfectly happy making $1.5MM/year at VCU. He wants something and the school has delivered it. Money for him isn't everything, but a $25MM practice facility is nice.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
His program is as big in Virginia as UVA. He is actually bringing in classes that are as good or better than UVA. His fan base is rabid. His home game crowds are insane.

I am interested to see if Rhoads jumps though. He is due. That will greatly impact VCU.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
His program is as big in Virginia as UVA. He is actually bringing in classes that are as good or better than UVA. His fan base is rabid. His home game crowds are insane.

I am interested to see if Rhoads jumps though. He is due. That will greatly impact VCU.
Definitely something to watch. 3 assistants on Shaka's staff have already moved on to HC jobs. Where does he STOP being impressive? (Answer: he doesn't)

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Definitely something to watch. 3 assistants on Shaka's staff have already moved on to HC jobs. Where does he STOP being impressive? (Answer: he doesn't)
Well 2 years ago he lost to GT, sure he went to the sweet 16 that year iirc.

Add to the list of things he's got going for him at VCU is a cakewalk schedule.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well 2 years ago he lost to GT, sure he went to the sweet 16 that year iirc.

Add to the list of things he's got going for him at VCU is a cakewalk schedule.
I was at the game we beat him. The main reason we won was because Glen Rice got smacked across the face by Briante Weber and played angry the rest of the way, resulting in a win.

Not sure if it was a cakewalk schedule. Maybe their SOS says that, but they've certainly played some good teams this season.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Cake walk schedule?

OOC schedule of Gtown, FSU, UVA, Belmont, Wofford. To say the least he could play a cupcake schedule, such as, say, Georgia Techs.
SOS is 43, RPI 13, BPI 19. 20 games against the RPI top 150.
The A-10 is better than the Big East and SEC this year. (as a whole)
I would have to disagree that they had a cake walk season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really need the ability to edit on this site. That last post is a train wreck.
I thought the same thing. I figured out that you can edit within a certain timeframe, like 1st 10 minutes after posting, but then it goes final.

Sidenote - back to the GT-VCU game... if we ever go back to that preseason tourney in Charleston, I highly recommend it.