Shaka Smart

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I may have mentioned this previously in another thread... we were the job that year that VCU AD Teague was afraid of and I don't think we seriously considered him as a candidate. If we tried, it was cursory at best.

I emailed DRad suggesting Shaka the day of VCU's First Four game against USC. DRad emailed me back as a courtesy agreeing that "Coach Smith" was a good coach. I think I emailed him several more times during that run. By the time that run was over, we didn't have near enough money to compete and it didn't matter anyway. Unless we have our Boone Pickens, we'll never have enough money again. Shaka has since turned down offers from Illinois & UCLA nearing close to $3MM annually.

There are jobs that he'd be willing to take and could pay nicely, although he's got years & years to make money. He's happy at VCU. He's, quite literally, the King of Richmond. It's a good city, he's bringing in a top-15 class, his family is happy there. I've got a lot of respect for him. If anyone is ever in Richmond during hoops season and you can snag a ticket to a VCU game at the Stu, you should go. You'll sit there and think to yourself how you hope McCamish regains that atmosphere someday. I know I did.

The good news... while I hope CBG turns things around to develop an upward trend, I think we have the right AD in place who can identify & attract the next Shaka Smart type when the time comes, as opposed to the last AD who was great at building facilities.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I may have mentioned this previously in another thread... we were the job that year that VCU AD Teague was afraid of and I don't think we seriously considered him as a candidate. If we tried, it was cursory at best.

I emailed DRad suggesting Shaka the day of VCU's First Four game against USC. DRad emailed me back as a courtesy agreeing that "Coach Smith" was a good coach. I think I emailed him several more times during that run. By the time that run was over, we didn't have near enough money to compete and it didn't matter anyway. Unless we have our Boone Pickens, we'll never have enough money again. Shaka has since turned down offers from Illinois & UCLA nearing close to $3MM annually.

There are jobs that he'd be willing to take and could pay nicely, although he's got years & years to make money. He's happy at VCU. He's, quite literally, the King of Richmond. It's a good city, he's bringing in a top-15 class, his family is happy there. I've got a lot of respect for him. If anyone is ever in Richmond during hoops season and you can snag a ticket to a VCU game at the Stu, you should go. You'll sit there and think to yourself how you hope McCamish regains that atmosphere someday. I know I did.

The good news... while I hope CBG turns things around to develop an upward trend, I think we have the right AD in place who can identify & attract the next Shaka Smart type when the time comes, as opposed to the last AD who was great at building facilities.

Agree with this..while I have some concerns with Bobinski on the football side I am confident he will do well with basketball.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe there are some Shaka Smart disciples nearby that are getting some seasoning right now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I'm sure Coach "Smith" was really impressed by our pitch. o_O

I'd be curious to see some hot names coaching wise. I can't think of any we don't already know.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'm sure Coach "Smith" was really impressed by our pitch. o_O

I'd be curious to see some hot names coaching wise. I can't think of any we don't already know.

Same here. Would love to see a good list.

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, there's a first year HC out at New Mexico that's doing pretty good. He's had a good mentor for a number of years. Maybe he'd like to come "home."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, there's a first year HC out at New Mexico that's doing pretty good. He's had a good mentor for a number of years. Maybe he'd like to come "home."
I bet he could bring along an amazing assistant coach specializing in shooting.

All kidding aside, Price/Neal supposedly interviewed as a package deal last go around with Price as HC and Neal as Assoc. HC, if I recall correctly.

Wouldn't be opposed to that, but have to wonder if he'll want to come home or own the WAC.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I bet he could bring along an amazing assistant coach specializing in shooting.

All kidding aside, Price/Neal supposedly interviewed as a package deal last go around with Price as HC and Neal as Assoc. HC, if I recall correctly.

Wouldn't be opposed to that, but have to wonder if he'll want to come home or own the WAC.

I heard the Price/Noodles rumor too. I know a lot of folk hated the idea of Mark as head coach because of his lack of experience. I think Craig brings what you need. While I hope CBG turns things around, getting the band back together would be cool for me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I heard the Price/Noodles rumor too. I know a lot of folk hated the idea of Mark as head coach because of his lack of experience. I think Craig brings what you need. While I hope CBG turns things around, getting the band back together would be cool for me.

Count me as one against the idea. I remain of the opinion that if they hadn't played here their candidacy would be widely panned.

Plus it's not usually a good idea to put our heroes in a position to be fired.

Neal is doing quite well in his 1st year but we still have no idea how well he'll manage a program (nice way of saying he's winning with Alfords roster).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Count me as one against the idea. I remain of the opinion that if they hadn't played here their candidacy would be widely panned.

Plus it's not usually a good idea to put our heroes in a position to be fired.

Neal is doing quite well in his 1st year but we still have no idea how well he'll manage a program (nice way of saying he's winning with Alfords roster).

Worked for Roy Williams.
I haven't watched NM play this year so I don't know what they look like, but the fact is that they lost talent and still in the top 25. That speaks some volume to Neal's coaching acumen. He probably won't leave after one season though.
Mitch Henderson is someone to look at but not sure how he would be a recruiter.
I wonder if the issue with Shaka is a money thing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Money in his pocket is not the issue with Shaka. The money has been there 3 times already. NC State offered him $2MM when our job was open, he resigned at VCU for less. Illinois offered him $2.75MM and UCLA offered him something similar in the 2 subsequent years and he used those offers to keep his salary around $1.5MM (with increases) at VCU, but get extended into the 2020s, more money for his assistants, bigger recruiting budget, and an agreement for upgraded practice facilities.

Craig Neal is winning with Alford's roster that Craig Neal recruited. Several of those kids intended to transfer if he didn't get the job.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach I don't want and I know one person that may not agree with me... Ben Howland.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Money in his pocket is not the issue with Shaka. The money has been there 3 times already. NC State offered him $2MM when our job was open, he resigned at VCU for less. Illinois offered him $2.75MM and UCLA offered him something similar in the 2 subsequent years and he used those offers to keep his salary around $1.5MM (with increases) at VCU, but get extended into the 2020s, more money for his assistants, bigger recruiting budget, and an agreement for upgraded practice facilities.

Craig Neal is winning with Alford's roster that Craig Neal recruited. Several of those kids intended to transfer if he didn't get the job.

Shaka's winning percentage is outstanding.
Neal is in a good spot Albuquerque absolutely loves the Lobo's and they are the only ticket in town. He'll be there for at least 2 to 3 more seasons.
Unfortunate.

Losing to Clemson's one man team (come on Hawks grab PJ Hairston) is unacceptable.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Coach I don't want and I know one person that may not agree with me... Ben Howland.

I'm not mad at that. He hit a plateau at UCLA but I liked how he recruited, he had offensive issues but they were no where near as bad as what's going on at GT right now. I wonder how much he'd want.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shaka's winning percentage is outstanding.
Neal is in a good spot Albuquerque absolutely loves the Lobo's and they are the only ticket in town. He'll be there for at least 2 to 3 more seasons.
Unfortunate.

Losing to Clemson's one man team (come on Hawks grab PJ Hairston) is unacceptable.
Article from yesterday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-and-counting-of-winning-for-vcus-shaka-smart

Neal being there 2-3 more years is fine. CBG has at least next year and if he lands JB, the following year as well. Would need to win big with Srs +JB though.

Clemson's coach is actually really good with the right role players. The fact they have mostly role players though is what probably keeps them from winning more. Not sure I understand what the Hawks/PJ Hairston have to do with that though.