Sewak

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think a lot of the heat that Sewak has taken is a little unfair. I'm not sure any of us really know what kind of coach he is in practice or games. We don't know what the kids are being told or how they being told. IMHO there were two things happening on the field that may POSSIBLY reflect poor coaching on his part: the inability early in the year to vary snap counts without false starting, and some confusion and missed assignments blocking in space and on the perimeter at certain times. Beyond that I am not sure what you are seeing. You may be tempted to say "Pass Blocking". Well, you have to keep in mind that some of that stuff is system related. If you go out there in super-wide splits and line up in a 3 point stance with your rear end way up in the air ready to drive block, like it is a running play, you are only going to be so good pass blocking. I don't care who you are. Could we improve some? Absolutely.

I think our guys have generally progressed well throughout their careers and use good blocking fundamentals in the run game for the most part. These things are signs of good coaching, not bad.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I disgree with you guys, and sewak holds accountability for the mediocre play of his line. For 6 years we have had mediocre OL play. Last year was another example of that. And two years prior. And every year its wait til Pauls guys mature. Well that came and went and we were still ehh. We still cant pass set. And in year 6 our rushing attack is just as much if not more hit or miss vs the big 4 than it was in year 2. So for me 6 years of common issues suggests coaching or scheme. Since the players have changed.

Also the talent thing is out there too. That is an issue we may be finally solving but they are young.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't blame sewak for all of the o-lines faults. I used to think when I would watch our guys dive at the LOS and whiff and fall on the ground not touching Anyone how irritated I was that they were taught to block that way, but then I found out they were given the option to cut block or block regularly, whichever they thought they could execute better. So not all on sewak, but our pass blocking has been atrocious at times and looks like our guys had never seen a pass rusher in their lives...

How is sewak's recruiting abilities? Is he a personable guy? He doesn't look like one but I've never really heard him talk or seen him sealing the deal on recruits.
I have never heard that about the OL having the option to cut block or drive block, thats interesting. Looks to me like if they had that option and they were whiffing as much as they were that CMS or CPJ would have required more drive blocking because they were actually good at that. Either way the OL play has to improve or we will be in for another long and frustrating season.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
No dog in this fight, but our OL talent has been awful. When a guy whiffs, that is not on the coach. Any D1 player should be able to at least make some contact with the guy straight ahead of him.

I did see quite a few guys give up on their blocks before the whistle blew. That's a coaching issue IMO.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Sewak is like a brother to PJ and see him staying as long as PJ does.Mike did good job at GSU and was popular with the fan base but got into trouble with the AD etc.He understands the blocking schemes but like others have said I think its more the guys we have blocking than the coaching.I see him at tech for along time unless PJ needs to make a change to get folks off his back.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Are you freaking kidding, no coach on the planet has done less with more more talent than Richt, look at the recruiting rankings of our school vs. theirs and then look how close the games have (mostly) been.
Naw folks dont think MR can take ours and beat folks.He has always had or it seems always good throwers and catchers and lets face it so many good athletes that can do so much without great coaching.MR is a good guy and is great around the supper table with leaning recruits and their families and every year he is in top fifteen in recruiting.Ga doesn't do that much exciting on offense but they win regular.......Nope in my mind give him our guys and his offense and he would be in deep kemchi.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I honestly have no idea how good a coach he is. I just find it a bit humerous how others who have never been to a practice can so assuredly say he stinks.
This is what I'm saying. I know the answer, it's the easy answer: when you don't know the answer, blame the coach. That said, the blame could very well be on Sewak, we just don't know. People stating their opinion, which is based on nothing, as fact is quite humorous.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Are you freaking kidding, no coach on the planet has done less with more more talent than Richt, look at the recruiting rankings of our school vs. theirs and then look how close the games have (mostly) been.

You are, I don' t think you realize it, proving my point. Think about it without emotion.

Done less with more? Very well could be true.

Yet, 1 - 12.

Fine if your goal is "close games".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You are, I don' t think you realize it, proving my point. Think about it without emotion.

Done less with more? Very well could be true.

Yet, 1 - 12.

Fine if your goal is "close games".
In a way, the closeness of the games should mirror the closeness of the recruiting classes. It doesn't come close (no pun intended), the gulf is HUGE. We are a lot more competitive on the field than on NSD.

Of course, this matters not in actual record. But it does suggest that if we close the talent gap just a little bit, we should start winning some of these games. Yes, that's a big "if" but it's doable, imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't find an average of appx. 14 points per game difference close, much less acceptable.
Most of those games are a lot closer than that. A couple of outliers get you that number. We've been in position to win late more games than not. Again, it doesn't matter in the final analysis. It only helps to define how far you have to go to meet your goal - which is winning.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
In a way, the closeness of the games should mirror the closeness of the recruiting classes. It doesn't come close (no pun intended), the gulf is HUGE. We are a lot more competitive on the field than on NSD.

Of course, this matters not in actual record. But it does suggest that if we close the talent gap just a little bit, we should start winning some of these games. Yes, that's a big "if" but it's doable, imo.

"Doable" when and by whom?

Don't see it with Sewak. And the only way, as you know, the average fan can monitor is by on the field results. And against the big boys Sewak has failed every time.

But he will be here as long as CPJ is. Probably at least 2 more years.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not a big Sewak fan, but I am not sure now is the time to upset the apple cart with the line coach. To me the definition of poor coaching is stupid penalties. I can deal with being out manned, and some guys missing assignments. If the whole line is missing assignments, then that may be coaching, but one young player missing assignments I can deal with.

Some of the stupid penalties in the VT game were not on the OL. The ABs and WRs got false start penalties as well. Chamberlain had his share, but I think he was playing due to injuries. He is also a young player who was getting beat by the DE and he probably would not have been playing if it had not been out of necessity.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't find an average of appx. 14 points per game difference close, much less acceptable.
Way to twist the discussion. I never said it was acceptable to be close, you stated that Richt could beat us with our own players if the coaches swapped players and i think that is some really stinky bait Based on the talent level recruited at each school and how competitive most of the games have been.