Sewak

Russellm0704

Georgia Tech Fan
Our O-line obviously had a rough time last year even though we had a lot of experienced guys. Injuries did hurt.

What is the plan with Sewak? How much longer will he be around? Are we even looking at anyone else

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No plan, if what I was told is correct.

CPJ won't do a thing about it until Admin., media, mixed with fan base raise Cain.

Too big of a comfort zone for CPJ so why change?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
If Sewak leaves who will come in and be able to teach the OL the fine points of blocking Johnson's version of the spread option? Just asking.
Well sewak hasn't been doing that either. The OL drive blocks well, but that's about it. Any high school coach can teach drive blocking, we need to find somebody who isn't a liability in the coaching and recruiting departments.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What facts do we have that support saying Sewak isn't doing his job of coaching up the OL?

We can't pass block?
Against good teams, the OL gets blown up and we can't make the edge?

I really don't know how much is a talent issue and how much is coaching. For pass blocking, I'd think it's coaching and lack of practice while the other team faces OLs that predominantly pass block. For the run game, we do well against average or lousy teams. It's just when the talent on the other side is overwhelming, that our mediocre talent doesn't overcome their talent.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't blame sewak for all of the o-lines faults. I used to think when I would watch our guys dive at the LOS and whiff and fall on the ground not touching Anyone how irritated I was that they were taught to block that way, but then I found out they were given the option to cut block or block regularly, whichever they thought they could execute better. So not all on sewak, but our pass blocking has been atrocious at times and looks like our guys had never seen a pass rusher in their lives...

How is sewak's recruiting abilities? Is he a personable guy? He doesn't look like one but I've never really heard him talk or seen him sealing the deal on recruits.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
he doesn't recruit and his position performance has been avg at best. no talent? Why isn't the OL coach landing OL guys (yes I get they are responsible for regions...how many guys is sewak bringing in)? No performance...its back to coaching.

Sorry I just don't give the guy a pass. If he was a avg coach but great recruiter...ok...or vice versa...he just seems comfortable mediocre

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sewak has had his best year recruiting this year...He got Brown, Stickler and Whitley.

oh thats great; maybe he is being pushed to do it, but we can't have guys at tech be a miss at recruiting for 5 years and have one ok year on the 6th

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
oh thats great; maybe he is being pushed to do it, but we can't have guys at tech be a miss at recruiting for 5 years and have one ok year on the 6th

I wasnt arguing one way or the other...just posting that he has had his best year this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yesssss. Eric's right. I see no reason to let Sewak go. Indeed, given the injuries we had on OL this year, I think he did a great job. Recall that for most of the year we were playing a second string OG, a third string OT, and had one of our long time starting OG playing OT because we had lost both starting OTs. Given that, anyone who complains about the blocking this year – a year where we were 6th in the country in rushing and averaged almost 34 points a game – is, imho, simply looking for an argument. There are no grounds in fact, especially given Sewak's success in recruiting this year, for anything but a pat on the back and a call for him to do as good a job next year.

Here endeth the lesson.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

It would appear we can !

And, to other poster's point, how do we know this is his best year recruiting?

It really, it seems, is no longer even worth discussing.

richt takes his and beats us, and I have no doubt he could take ours and beat us. And we will continue to be brainwashed that beating UNC is the be all - end all.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
It would appear we can !

And, to other poster's point, how do we know this is his best year recruiting?

It really, it seems, is no longer even worth discussing.

richt takes his and beats us, and I have no doubt he could take ours and beat us. And we will continue to be brainwashed that beating UNC is the be all - end all.

Pretty easy actually...he landed three commits this year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
No dog in this fight, but our OL talent has been awful. When a guy whiffs, that is not on the coach. Any D1 player should be able to at least make some contact with the guy straight ahead of him.