SEWAK going back to Southern ?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One of my Lt Colones who used to work for me in another time and place texted me today that Southern is looking hard at Brent Pye as new football coach and .............strong talk that there will be a place for Mike Sewak somewhere in the mix.........okay its just a rumor but this guy has his ear to the ground.....for those who are not happy with Mike and the OL ...this could work out.

One of my Lt Colones who used to work for me in another time and place texted me today that Southern is looking hard at Brent Pye as new football coach and .............strong talk that there will be a place for Mike Sewak somewhere in the mix.........okay its just a rumor but this guy has his ear to the ground.....for those who are not happy with Mike and the OL ...this could work out.
Luke Fickell is almost certainly going to be out at Ohio State. Who might Urban Meyer look at for Defensive Coordinator?

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Mack, ah I see Brent Pry. Hated to see Monken go, especially with the transition to FBS, but this would be a good hire. As a grad of GSU, not sure I want Sewak as an assistant though.

Last edited:

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
i've always been big on pry, mack. very aggressive DC. southern's D was top-10 in 2010 when he was onboard. the D hasn't been as good since. if you could bring brent on as HC and keep the current OC, davis, i think you'd have the right mix. brent knows the school, the traditions, the fan base. since he's a D guy he'd be less likely to tinker with the offensive side of the ball, too. the last thing southern needs going into their inaugural FBS season is a wholesale change with all new offensive coaches and a new O. it's going to be tough enough sledding as is! you bring in another staff and completely different philosophy on O and it could be years and years before things gelled.

sewak's got no prayer as HC. i don't care to see him back in any capacity, for that matter! i think his name's being bantered about because he's part of the CPJ coaching tree and everyone knows he'd run the option. whereas, if they go with a HC outside CPJ's tree the O could change drastically.

one name who's very interesting is oregon's OC. i can't say i wouldn't mind seeing that kinda O at paulson stadium! the eagles typically have speedy skill position guys. that could be a match made in heaven. but, they'd need to work on the passing game a bit more. good thing is the current RS-frosh, ellington, has touch and a decent arm. given the reps, he could be very good in an oregon-style attack.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
i've always been big on pry, mack. very aggressive DC. southern's D was top-10 in 2010 when he was onboard. the D hasn't been as good since. if you could bring brent on as HC and keep the current OC, davis, i think you'd have the right mix. brent knows the school, the traditions, the fan base. since he's a D guy he'd be less likely to tinker with the offensive side of the ball, too. the last thing southern needs going into their inaugural FBS season is a wholesale change with all new offensive coaches and a new O. it's going to be tough enough sledding as is! you bring in another staff and completely different philosophy on O and it could be years and years before things gelled.

sewak's got no prayer as HC. i don't care to see him back in any capacity, for that matter! i think his name's being bantered about because he's part of the CPJ coaching tree and everyone knows he'd run the option. whereas, if they go with a HC outside CPJ's tree the O could change.
Well I think you are right on all counts.Mike Sewak from what I heard and I am no prophet, may be a line coach or something.Yeah his days as HC are over but it would take heat off him at tech.I dont see a new OC changing anything since the recruiting Southern does is based upon the option and now as you said is not the time to tinker with sucess.I think this guy will do well since he has the experience ,has been here before and did a whale of a job at Vandy..We shall see...was going to call you about this but as usual forgot..Have a great New Year !

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Mack, ah I see Brent Pry. Hated to see Monken go, especially with the transition to FBS, but this would be a good hire. As a grad of GSU, not sure I want Sewak as an assistant though.
Like I said not sure what capacity he would fill if he came...I would think though with the heat folks have put on OL he would come to Sboro to pick up bottles after the game.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I think you are right on all counts.Mike Sewak from what I heard and I am no prophet, may be a line coach or something.Yeah his days as HC are over but it would take heat off him at tech.I dont see a new OC changing anything since the recruiting Southern does is based upon the option and now as you said is not the time to tinker with sucess.I think this guy will do well since he has the experience ,has been here before and did a whale of a job at Vandy..We shall see...was going to call you about this but as usual forgot..Have a great New Year !

happy holidays to you as well, mack! hope you had a great christmas.

as much as i don't like to see CJM go from a continuity standpoint, it's not the end of the world. he was a really, really good coach who did all the right things and brought back the traditions us eagles hold dear. if he'd won an NC i'd call him a great coach. unfortunately, he couldn't quite get the eagles there. and, i really wonder if in the end his move to army will be worth it. sure, it's a bigger paycheck for now. but, what a tough row to hoe! with the expanded stadium, more schollies, more money, and excitement of moving up in statesboro he could have this eagle team competing for a sunbelt title and a shot at a bowl game within 3-4 years, IMO. i think the offense is good enough to win games. but, the D needs the warm bodies 85 scholarships can bring and that takes some time.

whoever gets the job will have every opportunity to do well for themselves if they don't go effing things up too much! we'll see . . .

Techster

Helluva Engineer

sewak's got no prayer as HC. i don't care to see him back in any capacity, for that matter! i think his name's being bantered about because he's part of the CPJ coaching tree and everyone knows he'd run the option. whereas, if they go with a HC outside CPJ's tree the O could change drastically.

one name who's very interesting is oregon's OC. i can't say i wouldn't mind seeing that kinda O at paulson stadium! the eagles typically have speedy skill position guys. that could be a match made in heaven. but, they'd need to work on the passing game a bit more. good thing is the current RS-frosh, ellington, has touch and a decent arm. given the reps, he could be very good in an oregon-style attack.

Getting him would be like getting Chad Morris from Clemson. Scott Frost is going to be a hot commodity, but from internet rumors, he may be going home to Nebraska soon since Bo Pelini pretty much asked to be fired.

GA Southern needs to go after Ivin Jasper, Navy's OC and the guy calling the plays. He's been the OC for Navy since CPJ came to GT, so he's got experience. I believe he also spent some time down in the'Borough as a GA.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
happy holidays to you as well, mack! hope you had a great christmas.

as much as i don't like to see CJM go from a continuity standpoint, it's not the end of the world. he was a really, really good coach who did all the right things and brought back the traditions us eagles hold dear. if he'd won an NC i'd call him a great coach. unfortunately, he couldn't quite get the eagles there. and, i really wonder if in the end his move to army will be worth it. sure, it's a bigger paycheck for now. but, what a tough row to hoe! with the expanded stadium, more schollies, more money, and excitement of moving up in statesboro he could have this eagle team competing for a sunbelt title and a shot at a bowl game within 3-4 years, IMO. i think the offense is good enough to win games. but, the D needs the warm bodies 85 scholarships can bring and that takes some time.

whoever gets the job will have every opportunity to do well for themselves if they don't go effing things up too much! we'll see . . .
I agree......Army doesnt have Blanchard or Davis or Red Bliak anymore.yeah maybe more money but unless you win you are stuck with a program that really treats football as something for the cadets to improve fitness !No doubt Eagle land will be rocking and more folks will be in the boro than before and Tech fans may be hurt if this new guy keeps the option but that is in the future.I would have stayed in the Boro where life is quiet but you have great Docs,good shopping and all the conveniences of being a country squire.Yes misspelled Coach Blek ...I have a habit of doing that ! I would think Jeff would stay and get the program on to next level but money is hard to turn down I guess.Guess he likes snow better than knats.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Getting him would be like getting Chad Morris from Clemson. Scott Frost is going to be a hot commodity, but from internet rumors, he may be going home to Nebraska soon since Bo Pelini pretty much asked to be fired.

GA Southern needs to go after Ivin Jasper, Navy's OC and the guy calling the plays. He's been the OC for Navy since CPJ came to GT, so he's got experience. I believe he also spent some time down in the'Borough as a GA.
Guess Eagles have taken over the board but yeah big question other than who is coming is what kind of offense are they going to run ? Also by now most of the recruits are probably wondering what is going on so who gets the job needs to put fires out ..........now.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Don't most of the smaller schools wait to see who gets turned down by the bigger schools or who can't get in? I know they are recruiting, but typically GSU has some fall in their lap in February.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't most of the smaller schools wait to see who gets turned down by the bigger schools or who can't get in? I know they are recruiting, but typically GSU has some fall in their lap in February.

they're not so far down the pecking order of college football they have to wait for everyone's leftovers, haha!

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
speaking of coaches with GT ties . . . giff smith's name is starting to pick up quite a bit of steam. giff was an all-american and member of GA southern HOF. played for erk. and, everyone knows the kind of recruiter giff is. we've missed his recruiting prowess on the flats big time, IMO. a great football mind who's gotta be on the AD's short list.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope this guy leaves...He had way too much experience on the line this year. The VT game was horrible and pathetic when it comes to the Oline play. They had numerous bad games and I haven't seen 5 year guys get that much better like they should.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If Prye leaves I see Raheem Morris moving into the job as DC for Vandy which would be a nightmare for the SEC and Tech potentially.