Settle the F down

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We had 2 5-yard penalties on the road in a loud environment with a 1st-year coach and system on both sides of the ball. I thought that's a positive.

I actually said something to a friend about that last night. GT, in a hostile environment, under a new coaching staff with limited practice time under new schemes...and we did not give up that many penalties. That is incredible discipline and good coaching on the team's part.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
i think people are talking about this because the lack of even trying to pass was a huge surprise. I'm not saying anything more about the game than that. We all, for the most part, thought we were going to see a spread offense. To me that means a passing offense. And I'm far from mad, I think we will be 5-1 after 6 BUT I'm bewildered that we didn't even try to pass. All the arguing about the O line is fine but TO ran the ball 20 times, 15 of them were designed runs and CGC said as much when he said they planned on running he ball with TO. Even the players confirmed the game plan. Mason said they felt they could run on them, TO said they planned on running the QB. They never intended on throwing even WHEN THERE WERE 8 IN THE BOX

It’s also hard to pass when the receivers are mostly blanketed all night and the OL struggles to allow enough time for the QB to throw it.

I hated the goal line series but the lack of more passing gets a “pass” from me vs Clem. I think you will see more balance against other teams. Especially short passes which bore me to death. I can take boring if first downs and scores follow.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I actually said something to a friend about that last night. GT, in a hostile environment, under a new coaching staff with limited practice time under new schemes...and we did not give up that many penalties. That is incredible discipline and good coaching on the team's part.

It’s worthy of praise. We are rarely a heavily penalized team though.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe i’m delusional but it seemed like we got a few more 3rd down stops than normal, we also didn’t give up that automatic first drive touchdown to the other team that seemed so common the past few years.
Yeah, we actually made the other team punt , 3 times i believe.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
And no pass interference penalties against their vaunted group of WR's

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Whoa... reading some of these boards after last nights game, you would think our program is an absolute dumpster fire. Some of ya'll (yes ya'll) need to settle the F down.

1) We were playing the number 1 team in the country, who beat Bama by 4 TD's in the natty. They brought back every major skill position player... We just started the transition away from the TO. Just think about that for a moment...

2) We had around 9 months to recruit, implement and scheme a new defense and a new offensive system. The players bought in (more on that below), but it will take time.

3) There is talent, not on the level of Clemson, but outside of Alabama, I don't think there is another team that is even close to Clemson. I was encouraged by the team. They fought hard, even when they were down. Tre is a baller, Tobias can run the ball, and Graham looked the most poised in the pocket. We will be fine, and will win more than 3-4 games. I am confident of this after watching that game.

4) What we do need to do is clean up the mistakes (fumbles, muffed punt), and start to expand the offense. We do that and this team will be very good by the end of the year.

5) The most obvious thing I saw was the body language of the team. They never got down, they were encouraging one another, and they never gave up. I love this, and think this is the most important thing of a team, and one of the greatest predictors of future success. I expect that the team is ready to get up and start working on the things we need to fix. The players believe and have bought in.

I am looking forward to playing out this season, I think we will surprise a lot of teams not named Clemson.
One of our best players and team leaders muffed a punt and gave them an easy score. After our D got a 3 and out, no less. If that doesn't set the tone for how the game would play out, nothing does.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
One thing I did find humorous, was that when we finally did get into the endzone it was via the option....I guess old habits dies hard.

Don’t forget, the great Joe Hamilton use the option pitch as well. Regardless, u play to your strengths until new strengths emerge. I am highly optimistic about our prospects relative to the pre-season press.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First he has to settle on a QB, and that will show his offense, and if Tobias is it -- and I am not much of a Tobias fan -- then we saw the offense. My take from GT's view last night was this team had no identify and was woefully undersized to take on Clemson. From Clemson's view, I think they were really fortunate not to open against Texas A&M. Dabo won't say it, but they were ripe for the taking, and they might not be again this season.
Ripe for the taking.... lol.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s also hard to pass when the receivers are mostly blanketed all night and the OL struggles to allow enough time for the QB to throw it.

I hated the goal line series but the lack of more passing gets a “pass” from me vs Clem. I think you will see more balance against other teams. Especially short passes which bore me to death. I can take boring if first downs and scores follow.
As was mentioned by the commentators over and over again all game, they mostly had single man coverage on the WR with a single safety playing shallow coverage and just crowded the box just begging us to throw the ball. Instead the coaching staff had the worst possible response to that defensive strategy, run right at them! In fact one of the 4th and 1 plays they had NINE guys in the box and all within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage and our play cal was to use 7 blockers to make a hole and run the RB right into it!!! A quick pitch to the outside, a shallow WR slant, hell even an off tackle run had a significantly better chance than running it up the middle. Coach p was constantly calling the exact play that defensive alignment was designed to stop.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought our D-line played well most of the night considering who they were going against. Yes we had some major misses and allowed some huge runs, but I think there is a good base to build from

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As was mentioned by the commentators over and over again all game, they mostly had single man coverage on the WR with a single safety playing shallow coverage and just crowded the box just begging us to throw the ball. Instead the coaching staff had the worst possible response to that defensive strategy, run right at them! In fact one of the 4th and 1 plays they had NINE guys in the box and all within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage and our play cal was to use 7 blockers to make a hole and run the RB right into it!!! A quick pitch to the outside, a shallow WR slant, hell even an off tackle run had a significantly better chance than running it up the middle. Coach p was constantly calling the exact play that defensive alignment was designed to stop.

I may be conditioned to accept running into 9 in the box as an acceptable play call. :D