Seriously....who else we gonna beat?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
So far, we have not been listed in CBS’ “Bottom 25”. FSU made the list this week. Will we be listed there eventually this year and, if so, after what game?

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Our offense is ranked 59th in total offense, 52nd in yards per play, and 53rd in scoring offense after playing by far the two worst teams on our schedule. How is that exceeding expectations? We should have lit up both of those teams.
The yards don’t bother me since both opponents were heavy run focus and you expect short fields and turnovers against that competition. The points are not good and it’s because we left so many potential scores on the field in the NIU game. If we had executed well in the game we could easily have 17-21 more points. The OL and 1 1/2 quarters of QB play has held us back from being an average P5 offense. It’ll be interesting to see if we can score a TD against Clemson.

slugboy

Staff member
We can all agree if we didn't attempt one pass in the first half of the NIL game we would have beat them by 3 TDS. The play calling was not the best.
When we went to run out the end of the game, we didn't even get a first down. Why would abandoning the pass in the first half have been effective when it didn't work at the end of the game when we had the lead and "momentum"?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is ranked 59th in total offense, 52nd in yards per play, and 53rd in scoring offense after playing by far the two worst teams on our schedule. How is that exceeding expectations? We should have lit up both of those teams.
I’m in the camp that thinks we have not met expectations in the W/L column but agree with @Billygoat91 that our offense and play calling with Yates at QB has been a pleasant surprise. Last year our offense ranked 92nd (source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overalloff/2020), and was next to last in the ACC (up from dead last in 2019). We are currently ranked 7th in scoring offense in the ACC, which is a vast improvement. I think a lot of posters were hoping to at least improve to an “average” offense this year. Ranking 52nd, even after playing arguably the two worst teams on our schedule, could still be considered average after recognizing that many other teams have “tune-up” games early in the season. For example, Virginia is currently much higher in the offense rankings and accomplished that by playing a similar schedule as GT so far. The difference is they took care of business with both teams.

We have plenty to work on, but to me, there's been a marked improvement in our offense compared to the last two years. I’m not certain how that’s going to translate into wins this year, but I think we have a decent shot to beat Duke and a few other middling ACC teams. Also worth noting that the Clemson game is not likely to be a good means of measuring our offense/playcalling improvements. I’m hoping we can score the first TD they’ve allowed this year, but that’s about all.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that having guys wide open for what would have been TD's is pretty good play-calling. Now, as for the execution...well......
The first bad throw maybe, the second I will give you, the third i am suspect. You can't keep calling plays you know your QB can't make. I agree our WR was open but that don't matter if your QB can't get it to him.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think you're both right. The playcalling was bad considering we were basically getting 7 yards every time we handed the ball off. It's a travesty we only scored 21 that game.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not seein' it.....the ONLY team that I've seen remaining on our schedule that we MAY be able to beat is Duke. From what I've seen, we realistically may only win one more game. So....will Collins survive a 2 - 12 season? I really hope not.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not seein' it.....the ONLY team that I've seen remaining on our schedule that we MAY be able to beat is Duke. From what I've seen, we realistically may only win one more game. So....will Collins survive a 2 - 12 season? I really hope not.
If you want Collins gone, it would really take a lot. The money just isn’t there. It would have to be 1-11 and we don’t even come close to being competitive in any game the rest of the season, which could happen, although, that probably still isn’t enough for him to be gone. He’s here this year and gone after next if he doesn’t figure out the coaching part of his job.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A 2-12 season would be really bad. I think we will not lose 12 games. Would you bet on it?

LibertyTurns

Banned
We will beat Dook & BC, then we will beat one of da U, Pitt and possibly UNC.

4 wins, would have been 5, but that game is now history. I really don’t think CGC is the 3 win version of Gomer.