Selling academics at Tech AND CPJ's offense

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Filling the stadium, look even back in the Dodd years when we were playing a team like FSU or any school not ND, Auburn, Tenn, or UGA, Dodd created band day to fill the South horse shoe with high school bands. It think that ended sometime in the 90s. If you want more fans at the games, simple, get the games off TV. Chances of that 0. Parking is limited, getting out of games is a night mare. And let's just be honest we keep comparing ourselves to the school in Athens. 80% of the state of Georgia is a Georgia fan, even those that never went to college.
This mindset is a problem. Getting in and out of Tech games and the traffic to and from are probably the easiest experiences I’ve encountered at a college football games. The parking really ain’t that bad if you park across the connector. These experiences are much worse at a lot of other schools.

It’s silly we can’t fill that stadium when it sits it the middle of a major city. They need to market to he surrounding areas and get people in the games at reasonable costs and build the fan base.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why the hell not? Those are fun games to watch even if not nail bighters. USCe sells those games out, UGA does, Clemson does. Why the hell cant we? Because our fanbase really only gets up for huge games. That’s pretty damn sad.

To understand attendance figures, you have to look at key drivers ... is the school urban or rurally located, presence of pro teams, density of alumni population, etc.

All these factors, taken together .. lead to an overall lower attendance figure than say, UGA.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Who read that article and thought the relevant topic to discuss was the merits and demerits of the Tech fan base? Apparently, almost all posters here.

Yet, there is no basis for seeing the fan base or game day experience as a key deterrent to recruiting, based on that article. It makes no mention of it, at all, as impactful. But, go ahead and keep navel gazing, by all means.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Somebody suggested the rise of the “warrior nerd” (my words) class in high schools across the nation. Is this true? Even if not, there’s still some out there and we seem to be bound and determined to find them with our 4 new staff positions. That’s very encouraging to me!

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always been amazed at Tech's inability to build recruiting off stellar seasons with 1990 being the best example. I have been equally amazed with the ability to build stellar recruiting off terrible seasons, 1990 being the best example also. We sucked in the mid 90's and then put together a team to beat uga three years in a row. There seems to be some sort of underlying pattern or harmonic that doesn't change thru coaches or players. The worst part of it is that when uga is down, we tend to be down also. We have lost to some pitiful uga teams in the last 40 years because we were on the down slope (Ray Goof had a winning record against us dammit). Perhaps that means the real cause is something to do with high school athletics in the state of Georgia having down periods. More likely it just means that if we get those two or three athletes in a class that turn out to be special (how the hell could you have predicted George Godsey?), we have a knack for building a supporting team. As I said many times on this board, a Tech fan has to learn to love the roller coaster. At the start of the each season, you have to think, this might be the one. And if you don't buy tickets each year, you will miss out when it is the one.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Who read that article and thought the relevant topic to discuss was the merits and demerits of the Tech fan base? Apparently, almost all posters here.

Yet, there is no basis for seeing the fan base or game day experience as a key deterrent to recruiting, based on that article. It makes no mention of it, at all, as impactful. But, go ahead and keep navel gazing, by all means.

Interesting you chose to post that “almost all posters” are off topic yet I’m not sure what your post has to do with the topic either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This mindset is a problem. Getting in and out of Tech games and the traffic to and from are probably the easiest experiences I’ve encountered at a college football games. The parking really ain’t that bad if you park across the connector. These experiences are much worse at a lot of other schools.

It’s silly we can’t fill that stadium when it sits it the middle of a major city. They need to market to he surrounding areas and get people in the games at reasonable costs and build the fan base.

I really dont understand the complaining about parking and getting out. We tailgate in lot W2. Yes it is what 1/2 mile walk to the stadium? But that is part of our tradition. We enjoy the walk to and from the stadium. stopping by CULC or the student center on the way. Going past my old EE building and seeing the changes on campus. Plus now that my daughter recently got out, we compare buildings where we may have both had classes. Or just seeing other peoples tailgate setup.

From a traffic, we always hang out about 30 minutes or so after the game for a small post game tailgate and then have an easy exit. None of that is even the slightest hindrance.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I really dont understand the complaining about parking and getting out. We tailgate in lot W2. Yes it is what 1/2 mile walk to the stadium? But that is part of our tradition. We enjoy the walk to and from the stadium. stopping by CULC or the student center on the way. Going past my old EE building and seeing the changes on campus. Plus now that my daughter recently got out, we compare buildings where we may have both had classes. Or just seeing other peoples tailgate setup.

From a traffic, we always hang out about 30 minutes or so after the game for a small post game tailgate and then have an easy exit. None of that is even the slightest hindrance.

I agree. I bought a season parking pass in the W21 lot and it is surprisingly easy to get on and off campus. This is SO much better than the days when I parked in parking deck on the corner of State and 10th.

I park in the EL lot across Spring from the Varsity, and formerly the lot behind the Varsity. Coming up W P'tree as I do, access to the lot is a breeze, and it's an easy walk to the stadium, either through the tunnel or on North Ave. I always leave as soon as I get back to the car after the game, and the only snag getting out is due to incompetent Atlanta traffic control. Nonetheless, I am usually out and on I-20 East to Augusta within 30 minutes of the end of the game.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Im not sure this is something you can market. Even in a big city. If we want to grow the fan base then we need to string together several good seasons in a row and get people talking about us. Let the marketing happen naturally. Every time we have a good year, we follow it up with a mediocre one. Personally, I think that kills us more than anything.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Interesting you chose to post that “almost all posters” are off topic yet I’m not sure what your post has to do with the topic either.

It is how one attempts to nudge people back on topic.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I bought a season parking pass in the W21 lot and it is surprisingly easy to get on and off campus. This is SO much better than the days when I parked in parking deck on the corner of State and 10th.

I meant W21 in my post. Cant go back and edit it. So much easier than the one time I went to MBS when we played Tenn.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To understand attendance figures, you have to look at key drivers ... is the school urban or rurally located, presence of pro teams, density of alumni population, etc.

All these factors, taken together .. lead to an overall lower attendance figure than say, UGA.

So very true. Atlanta in not the Pre- Falcons, Braves and Hawks (will throw in the Thrashers) sports entertainment town it was when GT WAS the king of sports in the ATL.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I park in the EL lot across Spring from the Varsity, and formerly the lot behind the Varsity. Coming up W P'tree as I do, access to the lot is a breeze, and it's an easy walk to the stadium, either through the tunnel or on North Ave. I always leave as soon as I get back to the car after the game, and the only snag getting out is due to incompetent Atlanta traffic control. Nonetheless, I am usually out and on I-20 East to Augusta within 30 minutes of the end of the game.
Your are giving away our secret!
Like the guy that told his friend about destin!

Cant wait to be in line at the varsity after we beat clemson.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Somebody suggested the rise of the “warrior nerd” (my words) class in high schools across the nation. Is this true? Even if not, there’s still some out there and we seem to be bound and determined to find them with our 4 new staff positions. That’s very encouraging to me!
I was active in football booster club at the houston high s where my son played football. In 4 years we had 3 dt and 1 og that went on to be college all Americans . All but one of the families moved to attend the school due to exemplery academics. All had great pro careers.
2 went to michigan! Are you kidding !. All but 1 could easily do gt business admin. Sam adams not so much

Not saying we will get this kind of players day one , but there are the kenny coopers types we can get.
Go jackets

TechPreacher

Banned
  1. make atlanta's hip-hop community part of GT athletics
  2. ludacris, TI, Outkast, Migos - these are all people who know how to build brands & have a entrepreneurial spirit. A Migos endorsement of GT would do more for this football program than anything anyone has mentioned so far. and i don't think many people realize that
  3. Stop kicking people off the team for smoking pot. it's so dumb and just wrong.

No. No. No.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
No. No. No.

Over 90% of all Americans between 18 - 30 support full legalization
No voting demographic favors enforcement of current laws over legalization
Strong clinical research supporting positive medical benefits (the least of which is the decreased use of opioids, the leading killer of my generation, and an epidemic among NFL players)
Almost all of the western world is moving towards legalization.
Atlanta decriminalized possession under an ounce, largely due to obscene racial disgrephancy in marijuana law enforcement

By all accounts, D Mills was a good person and an outstanding player. And yet we still have people who believe that it's the right thing to do to take away his privilege to obtain a GT education and play football so well that we make a good amount of money for a $0 salary?

I get the argument that D mills broke the rules and he must pay the price. Fine. My point is should we change the rules, which is within our right to do - it's a GT rule -, so that we don't do this to the next D. Mills. Somewhat disappointed to see that so many people think the answer to this question is no...what harm is it to you if D Mills smokes and you don't? But, i respect your opinion and we'll agree to disagree.