Secondary

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I mean his DB ranking was the one basically all Tech fans were calling BS on last year. Oliver is poised to break out. Swilling should end up on an all conference team. Riq/Yeh are studs at safety. And we have plenty of quality talent behind them. I think at least 3 of those 4 are gonna get drafted when they declare. Juanyeh/Swilling are pretty much locks.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Juanyeh/Tariq are good tacklers and hard hitters, but need to work on consistency IMO. Same with Tre Swilling. All three showed that they have some skills last season.
I'm also really excited about Jalen Huff, Miles Brooks, Myles Sims, Jaylon King, and Kaleb Oliver. We have so much talent back there that we don't have an excuse for crappy Pass D this year.
Juanyeh is my favorite player on the team. Not sure why, just something about him I really like. I really hope he gets a chance to show off his recruiting skills this season.

Side note: Why is Charlie Thomas listed as a DB? I know he was on the lighter side, but he has basically been our only consistently good linebacker since he got here, at our position that we have been very weak at recently.
Also odd that Tariq at 6'2 225 is a safety, that's LB size to me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have so much talent back there that we don't have an excuse for crappy Pass D this year.

We have great athletes to be sure in the defensive backfield.However, they must have support from the front 7 in order to be successful. If we don't start generating pressure, everything else is of little or no value. no matter who is in the secondary.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
We have great athletes to be sure in the defensive backfield.However, they must have support from the front 7 in order to be successful. If we don't start generating pressure, everything else is of little or no value. no matter who is in the secondary.
very true

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Side note: Why is Charlie Thomas listed as a DB? I know he was on the lighter side, but he has basically been our only consistently good linebacker since he got here, at our position that we have been very weak at recently.

Thomas moved to DB in the offseason

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

With us in our base package its reallymore of a front 6 now. I expect we will be even heavier in 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 allignments to leverage our safety depth. Oliver and carpenter really need to be on the field together.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Juanyeh/Tariq are good tacklers and hard hitters, but need to work on consistency IMO. Same with Tre Swilling. All three showed that they have some skills last season.
I'm also really excited about Jalen Huff, Miles Brooks, Myles Sims, Jaylon King, and Kaleb Oliver. We have so much talent back there that we don't have an excuse for crappy Pass D this year.
Juanyeh is my favorite player on the team. Not sure why, just something about him I really like. I really hope he gets a chance to show off his recruiting skills this season.

Also odd that Tariq at 6'2 225 is a safety, that's LB size to me.
Agreed - have to play better. I noticed last year that our LBs and DBs often don’t play with any anticipation. They’ll see the same routes and don’t adjust their positioning. On run plays, I’ve seen illogical / inefficient angles to the ball. Like a safety running in the middle of congestion rather than shielding the outside...then the RB sees the opening and he goes untouched. I don’t know if it’s coaching or the players not effectively processing what’s in front of them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don’t get it. He was a pretty good LB. We have tons of talent at DB and low numbers at LB. Why not keep him at LB?

I didn't see the quickness, agility, or speed for CT to play DB...but I'm just a message board scout so what do I know. Will be an interesting experiment to see him at DB. He was our second leading tackler and tied for our second most sacks on the team. That's a LOT of production you're moving to somewhere else that's he hasn't played on this level.

Maybe they are trying to find their best 11 pieces on D, and if doesn't work out in Fall camp they'll move him back.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the quickness, agility, or speed for CT to play DB...but I'm just a message board scout so what do I know. Will be an interesting experiment to see him at DB. He was our second leading tackler and tied for our second most sacks on the team. That's a LOT of production you're moving to somewhere else that's he hasn't played on this level.

Maybe they are trying to find their best 11 pieces on D, and if doesn't work out in Fall camp they'll move him back.

I wouldn't read to much into him moving to DB. In all likelyhood he's still playing outside backer its jsut he and kaleb oliver will flip whose on the field situationally. Expet CT to still be a rusher and run support guy from the nickle position most downs.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Our DB's were having to cover over an incredible amount of time last year due to the lack of pressure.

My hope is that with improved DL play, we will see every other position group improve. I think its well known that we win the game in the trenches... An All world QB will look pedestrian behind a terrible OL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tre the first half of the season looked like an NFL pick. He tailed off a bit the second half.

Consistency will be the key for Tre, but he definitely has the size and skillset to be All ACC and an NFL pick.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched Derrik Allen (red shirt soph transfer from ND) at Lassister High School for three years. Derrik played CB at Lassister, but he is really a hard hitting safety with good cover skills. I can see him really getting after the QB in blitz packages and is the perfect athlete for special teams. He is a similar all around athlete like Jerry Howard, but with more speed.