Second-half adjustments It is especially not the case last Saturday. The team can simply play bette

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There were none. Or more accurately, very few. Everyone always credits halftime adjustments for extreme changes fortune from 1 half to the next. This is not always the case. It is especially not the case last Saturday. The team can simply play better or play worse in the second half. It happens all the time. It’s not some magical adjustment on offense or defense by your team or your opponent. It’s not always the blame or the credit on the coaches.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The calls may have been the same but the D was given some direction apparently to be more patient "reading and reacting:eek::rolleyes:" to the Wake mesh. I dunno if that qualifies as "a halftime adjustment" or not but they defended it much better in the 2nd half.

I do agree with your premise however.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There were none. Or more accurately, very few. Everyone always credits halftime adjustments for extreme changes fortune from 1 half to the next. This is not always the case. It is especially not the case last Saturday. The team can simply play better or play worse in the second half. It happens all the time. It’s not some magical adjustment on offense or defense by your team or your opponent. It’s not always the blame or the credit on the coaches.

Don't know whether this was coaching adjustments or just player common sense but from the north endzone I saw an important adjustment. Early in the game our DTs were spread fairly wide and the the inside LBs even wider. Wake was running effectively straight ahead between the 3 gaps. In the second half the announcers spoke of how the Wake runners were now turning more outside and abandoning their up the middle stuff. This occurred because our D aligned closer in the middle and forced the runners to move laterally and our D against the run got much better. I also saw on occasion (unlike last week) our Nickel moved up on the slop receiver pre snap (3 to 5 yards) instead of the usual (12 to 15 yards). Our corners on many occasions were up close on the WRs . I liked those adjustments from where ever they came.

I also notice Glanton has earned the start and he played a great game inside.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
We absolutely adjusted something defensively, because WF barely ran the RPO at all in the second half. In the first half I told my dad that they could run that play every time and never even get to third down. Well, they stopped. So something changed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IMO Coach ran more miss direction in second half.... AGREE?
Also we found some blocking calls that makes s shamire effective when he is un covered. THIS IS KEY.

But I agree with u. WE CAN PLAY BETTER.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Although the D did not play well in the first half I was actually pleased with the play calling. The D had a TON of missed tackles in the first half, or they were over pursuing/not being patient. That, imo was the biggest difference from the first half to the second. On offense we just started blocking better, we looked to have come out flat footed to start the game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We absolutely adjusted something defensively, because WF barely ran the RPO at all in the second half. In the first half I told my dad that they could run that play every time and never even get to third down. Well, they stopped. So something changed.
Tackling and not over pursuing imo.

Ok, so here is one thing that I just don't get. First drive, first and goal at the 2. We have a 400lb right guard and a B-back that can squat 600lbs. Hand him the ball and run behind Shamire. Three behind the lines plays. Some times I think CPJ just outthinks himself. As he even said about the 2 point conversions.

PJ4Prez

Georgia Tech Fan
The defensive play calling was much different in the second half. Seems we ran mostly zone in the first half with a huge cushion. Second half was more man and bump coverage.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Danny. What I noticed in the first half is that the WF RBs were hesitating a step before taking off. They were obviously waiting for their blocking to develop and that was a combination of the wide sets mentioned above and their up tempo catching us not lined up, as Coach said. This was very effective as we were not (usually) getting off blocks in time to stop plays. This ceased in the second half. Their RBs got the ball and headed directly to the hole.

As usual, at games I pay a lot more attention to the OLs then top the D; I didn't see the shift inside Danny did. I bet he's right, however.

And so is Cheese. No less a person then Coach himself pointed out that the main difference in the second half is that we played better, for reasons he couldn't explain.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so here is one thing that I just don't get. First drive, first and goal at the 2. We have a 400lb right guard and a B-back that can squat 600lbs. Hand him the ball and run behind Shamire. Three behind the lines plays. Some times I think CPJ just outthinks himself. As he even said about the 2 point conversions.
Did you watch the falcons game? 3rd and less than a yard and they pass and then run the ball on 4th but they run it sideways......

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
We had trouble “getting lined up” on defense in the first half.

I believe using a defensive timeout would be prudent before we allow an opponent to score 3 TDs on 3 straight possessions.

/
Hearing PJ say stuff like this just blows my mind. All week, the D watches film regarding themselves and our opponent, practices against a scout team and not to mention this is also the 6th game of the year BUT WE CAN'T GET LINED UP CORRECTLY.

I don't get it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hearing PJ say stuff like this just blows my mind. All week, the D watches film regarding themselves and our opponent, practices against a scout team and not to mention this is also the 6th game of the year BUT WE CAN'T GET LINED UP CORRECTLY.

I don't get it.

They were apparently running hurry-up faster than we prepared and perhaps faster than our sidelines were getting calls in to the players.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We did much better crashing in on the run in the second half, but the pass rush usually wasn't there (unless someone was unblocked on a free release). It was a net gain. I feel like the young LBs grew up a lot in this game, and I was really happy we kept letting Step cover tight 1:1 despite getting burned a few times. Let them make a play if they can.

Ultimately, I was really impressed with Wake especially offensively. It wasn't pro-level consistency, but some of those throws were simply indefensible if on the money. Their line really anticipated our blitzes and stunts to the point I wondered if they read our signals, but I'm more concerned they just knew our tendencies and exploited them with the hurry up. I hope that isn't the case with Clemson.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

It was something that's for sure. Wake was still ahead about the 7:30 mark of the third quarter. All of a sudden they could not get a third down conversion to save their life and then they missed a fourth down that really hurt them. I don't know what I would have done differently in their shoes but I personally think they stayed with the zone read dive or whatever it was for too long. I know they are enamored with that play action off the fake but I would have just thrown the ball and challenged our corners on deeper routes. Probably would not have mattered.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We did much better crashing in on the run in the second half, but the pass rush usually wasn't there (unless someone was unblocked on a free release). It was a net gain. I feel like the young LBs grew up a lot in this game, and I was really happy we kept letting Step cover tight 1:1 despite getting burned a few times. Let them make a play if they can.

Ultimately, I was really impressed with Wake especially offensively. It wasn't pro-level consistency, but some of those throws were simply indefensible if on the money. Their line really anticipated our blitzes and stunts to the point I wondered if they read our signals, but I'm more concerned they just knew our tendencies and exploited them with the hurry up. I hope that isn't the case with Clemson.

You can bet on it. They knew our tendencies on blitzes because all to often Stevie Wonder can see it coming.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You can bet on it. They knew our tendencies on blitzes because all to often Stevie Wonder can see it coming.

Our blitzes between the tackles are almost always not effective. I would rather see (our faster guys who can tackle in space) our blitzes come from the CBs or Ss from the outside in coordination with our DEs.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think that mis-snap of the ball and them recovering on their own 2-3 took alot of wind out of their sails. When did that occur?