SEC throws down gauntlet in football to NCAA

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly !!!! College is about educating a population of people NOT semi pro football.
To be honest this isn't good for academic institutions at all.
For those who think it is all about education either never played or are so focused on the money that you missed what the kids are asking for. Ok I have a question and be honest with your response. Why does a college FIRE a head coach for compiling multiple losing season even though his player graduation rate is extremely high? Why is it when we talk about a kid being recruited we talk about his speed, his strength, etc.. but not his GPA? The last 3 seasons has anyone said to themselves I am thinking about not buying season tickets next year because the GPA of the athletes are not as high as I would like . If it's about education then why of a kid does not perform coaches have the right to excuse them from the team. This should not happen unless there is a disregard for team rules. Come on guys if a kid gets injured he can lose his scholarship. Several kids that are recruited are from low income families so during recruiting they are told that their child be taken care of. I don't agree with the kids getting a salary but their basic needs should be met

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
For those who think it is all about education either never played or are so focused on the money that you missed what the kids are asking for. Ok I have a question and be honest with your response. Why does a college FIRE a head coach for compiling multiple losing season even though his player graduation rate is extremely high? Why is it when we talk about a kid being recruited we talk about his speed, his strength, etc.. but not his GPA? The last 3 seasons has anyone said to themselves I am thinking about not buying season tickets next year because the GPA of the athletes are not as high as I would like . If it's about education then why of a kid does not perform coaches have the right to excuse them from the team. This should not happen unless there is a disregard for team rules. Come on guys if a kid gets injured he can lose his scholarship. Several kids that are recruited are from low income families so during recruiting they are told that their child be taken care of. I don't agree with the kids getting a salary but their basic needs should be met
At Georgia Tech. GPA and SAT are two of the first five questions.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If so, they're #4 and #5. Otherwise, you're be recruiting the captain of the chess club and math club to be your QB. :p
And you would be wrong. When you saw a kid or one was recommended, the first question asked was, "How are his grades?"

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
And you would be wrong. When you saw a kid or one was recommended, the first question asked was, "How are his grades?"
Wanna bet? I'll guarantee you that our coaches don't go to a school and ask for the top 3 GPA kids in a school and then ask "well can he play football?" That's silly to even think such.

First they look at skill set, size and athleticism. Then they ask "what are his grades"?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wanna bet? I'll guarantee you that our coaches don't go to a school and ask for the top 3 GPA kids in a school and then ask "well can he play football?" That's silly to even think such.

First they look at skill set, size and athleticism. Then they ask "what are his grades"?
I think you guys are arguing two different points and probably agree on both. Of course our coaches don't walk into the AP Calculus class and ask 'does anyone play football?" That's totally ridiculous and nobody is suggesting that. What I am suggesting is that when somebody passes the eyeball test, the first question asked is "what are his grades like?"

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys are arguing two different points and probably agree on both. Of course our coaches don't walk into the AP Calculus class and ask 'does anyone play football?" That's totally ridiculous and nobody is suggesting that. What I am suggesting is that when somebody passes the eyeball test, the first question asked is "what are his grades like?"
And you would be correct. I'll share an anecdote from back in the day.

It was gameday, about two hours before kickoff, and I had left the old AA walking down the driveway between the AA and the Heisman Gym. For you younger guys that's near where the North Stands tunnel to Callaway Plaza is today. Whereupon I met the head coach of Aiken High School in Aiken, SC. He had been an assistant at my high school when I attended. He had with him one of his players.

We exchanged the pleasantries of old friends and he said, "I would like to introduce you to one of my players, William Perry." I could see he was about 6'-1". Coach Buck stated, "He's 265 pounds and I watched him dunk a basketball yesterday! He's only 15 years old and dominates from NG." I asked, "How are his grades?"

Coach replied, "_____, he's not Tech. material."

I'm telling you this was not atypical and I doubt it has changed in the last 35 years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And you would be correct. I'll share an anecdote from back in the day.

It was gameday, about two hours before kickoff, and I had left the old AA walking down the driveway between the AA and the Heisman Gym. For you younger guys that's near where the North Stands tunnel to Callaway Plaza is today. Whereupon I met the head coach of Aiken High School in Aiken, SC. He had been an assistant at my high school when I attended. He had with him one of his players.

We exchanged the pleasantries of old friends and he said, "I would like to introduce you to one of my players, William Perry." I could see he was about 6'-1". Coach Buck stated, "He's 265 pounds and I watched him dunk a basketball yesterday! He's only 15 years old and dominates from NG." I asked, "How are his grades?"

Coach replied, "_____, he's not Tech. material."

I'm telling you this was not atypical and I doubt it has changed in the last 35 years.
But Big John Davis was, and damn glad he was.

At Georgia Tech. GPA and SAT are two of the first five questions.

How many people worldwide that know the name "Georgia Tech" would know it if we had never had a wildly successful, nationally prominent football team? The popularity of Tech football, coinciding with the growth and expansion of Atlanta as a regional center of finance, business, communication, and transportation was essential to the development of what Tech is today. Football is important.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How many people worldwide that know the name "Georgia Tech" would know it if we had never had a wildly successful, nationally prominent football team? The popularity of Tech football, coinciding with the growth and expansion of Atlanta as a regional center of finance, business, communication, and transportation was essential to the development of what Tech is today. Football is important.
Football is important in the U.S.A., but not so much outside the country.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Football is big business no doubt. College football however is a poor choice of business for schools to get into because there is no direct correlation that they actually help the institution in any way other than pride.

Anyway good article on Tyrone Portho remember him??
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...er-university-alabama-football-star-testifies

"I definitely didn't think of myself as a student first," the stocky former wide receiver said. "It felt like we were an athlete first, a student second."

Now this could be very very true and potentially damning to the NCAA;
"Protho testified after Stanford University economics professor Roger Noll, who spent two full days on the stand as the plaintiffs' chief expert to back the claim that the NCAA's rules violate federal antitrust laws."