SEC throws down gauntlet in football to NCAA

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not sure if you are being completely serious or not haha, but I do not think universities would create easy majors. First, all new majors have to be approved by state board of reagents before they can even be instated. Second, with all the scrutiny UNC is under for their easy majors, I dont think other universities would want to fall under the scrutiny. Third, the majors the factories already have are pretty easy, I dont know how much easier they could get...
I'm just saying don't underestimate how far the Georgia Board of Regents will go as boosters of the UGA football program. They already have Recreation and Magazines majors. Don't forget this is the same board of regents that took away our commerce school, merged Southern Tech with Kennesaw State, and decided UGA needed an engineering school presumably because too many mediocre engineering students from Georgia were going to Clemson and Auburn.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I knew this would happenen eventually, wasnt expecting it so soon. Say goodbye to the football we know and love, i fear this new semipro ball is going to utterly ruin the game.A very sad day for college football

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm not sure I follow your post. Title IX is federal law regulating institutions of higher education directly. I don't understand the point you are making about affiliation to the NCAA.

As I read the OP's link, it talked about wanting some concessions from the NCAA for greater flexibility with respect to the SA's, but the alternative was the formation of a Div IV still under the overarching auspices of the NCAA. Where did you get this idea about leaving the NCAA entirely.

Thank you thank you thank you... You're correct, Title IX is Federal Law and not a NCAA rule.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really like the idea Joey posted on FTRS (http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...gia-tech-yellow-jackets-minor-league-football). His argument is basically start up minor league football a la minor league baseball for those kids who have no interest in getting an education and let them try getting to the NFL that way. For the kids that are interested in getting an education, keep college football for them. Sure the level of competition may go down a bit, but it gives schools like Tech a better chance to succeed in the football environment when a majority of 4 and 5 star guys go the minor league route when they have no real interest in getting an education to begin with.
I'll go you one better: get colleges out of supporting scholarship athletics altogether. If we converted the whole kit and caboodle to Div 3 standards, we might be able to address a good many of the problems that collegiate education now faces. I just ran across some OECD figures on this. The US spends more on college, no matter how you measure it, then any other country in the organization. The reason why is revealing: we spend twice as much as our nearest OECD competitor (the UK) on what their stats people call "ancillary services" (transport, room, and board). Since no other post-secondary system in the universe has anything like the collegiate sports complex in this country, I would guess that the sports expenses ended up in there. Throw in the immense expansion of administration in our colleges - the great proportion of it unnecessary and driven by the need to be more "competitive" in areas that have nothing much to do with education - and you have the solution for why collegiate education has become so expensive here.

I don't think that's going to happen, of course. One of the members of the California Board of Regents once asked Clark Kerr what college was for. Kerr's reply catches it, "Sports for the alumni, sex for the students, and parking for the faculty." However, we all, and especially the students, would be a lot better off if it did. Like boxing, I'd miss big time college football a lot, but I'd drop it like a bad habit if the opportunity presented itself.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not for unions but I am for a system that gives students a position that will give them a voice and some "REAL" input when addressing important issues. Here is an example of what should never happen to a student. A situation occurred where the dining hall was closed for two days. Students could not leave their dorms because of the weather. When they asked the Director of Football for some assistance this is the response they received "It is against NCAA rules for us to give you any money so here is what you can do, Find some young ladies who are cooking on the campus and ask them for something to eat or their are some students moving into another dorm. Se if they will let you help them for some change". This is not first time situations such as this have occurred. Another issue is is insurance for all players. There is enough revenue being generated in college football to insure that ALL college athletes have insurance. Make it mandatory for colleges to offer a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. four years unless a student displays a clear disregard for team rules. I think the mistake we are making is that we have yet to have to have an forum with the student athletes themselves to get their input. Read what students attending at Northwestern actually requested:

Financial coverage for sports-related medical expenses, placing independent concussion experts on the sidelines during games, establishing an educational trust fund to help former players graduate and “due process” before a coach could strip a player of his scholarship for a rules violation.

The organization also wants players to receive “cost of attendance” stipends — most major-conference schools agree — and allow them to be compensated for commercial sponsorships “consistent with evolving NCAA regulations.”

There is no push for “pay-for-play” salaries.

I was privileged to speak to two young men who were committed to a D1 college. They shut down their recruiting and enjoyed their senior year. two or three weekss before the signing period, the head coach received an offer from another college and therefore the school was forced to find a head coach within a short period of time. The students leaned through the media that a new coach had been hired and therefore started calling the new coach to introduce themselves. The day before signing day they finally received a call. They were told that there were no longer scholarships available because the coach was taking the program in a different direction. I was furious but my question is how should this school be dealt with? If a student does this we are outraged and are swift to say he is immature.

Listen FAM, all I am saying is that the NCAA has been promising for years to fix some of the issues and they have not done so yet. lol imagine a bagel with nothing on it being refereed to as a snack but if you add peanut butter of cream cheese to it then it becomes a meal. Even the President of the NCAA found this rule to be ridiculous. It took a players comments of going to bed hungry at night to get someones attention. This is why I stated the athletes need a platform to be heard. Please don't tell me about the few student groups that are invited to participate at the local colleges or NCAA meetings because if they had a voice then I think something simple as a bagel would have been dealt with a long time ago. Again let me reiterate. I am not a fan of a union but if this is the only option that will get these young men and women heard then so be it. College football will change but don't put the blame on the SEC. I think if the NCAA would have shown some sort of action to address the minor issues involving student athletes then we would not have this issue. Hey give each kid a stipend. When you get a chance read up on the homeless college football player. He did not have a home to go to during breaks when school was not in session. Fans wanted to provide support but the NCAA stated that this was against the rules. No the NCAA softened their stance but should this was not the first case in which this has occurred. I am just saying. Make an effort to address the deficiencies in the rules and let's get back to playing some good college football.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not for unions but I am for a system that gives students a position that will give them a voice and some "REAL" input when addressing important issues. Here is an example of what should never happen to a student. A situation occurred where the dining hall was closed for two days. Students could not leave their dorms because of the weather. When they asked the Director of Football for some assistance this is the response they received "It is against NCAA rules for us to give you any money so here is what you can do, Find some young ladies who are cooking on the campus and ask them for something to eat or their are some students moving into another dorm. Se if they will let you help them for some change". This is not first time situations such as this have occurred. Another issue is is insurance for all players. There is enough revenue being generated in college football to insure that ALL college athletes have insurance. Make it mandatory for colleges to offer a guaranteed 4 year scholarship. four years unless a student displays a clear disregard for team rules. I think the mistake we are making is that we have yet to have to have an forum with the student athletes themselves to get their input. Read what students attending at Northwestern actually requested:

Financial coverage for sports-related medical expenses, placing independent concussion experts on the sidelines during games, establishing an educational trust fund to help former players graduate and “due process” before a coach could strip a player of his scholarship for a rules violation.

The organization also wants players to receive “cost of attendance” stipends — most major-conference schools agree — and allow them to be compensated for commercial sponsorships “consistent with evolving NCAA regulations.”

There is no push for “pay-for-play” salaries.

I was privileged to speak to two young men who were committed to a D1 college. They shut down their recruiting and enjoyed their senior year. two or three weekss before the signing period, the head coach received an offer from another college and therefore the school was forced to find a head coach within a short period of time. The students leaned through the media that a new coach had been hired and therefore started calling the new coach to introduce themselves. The day before signing day they finally received a call. They were told that there were no longer scholarships available because the coach was taking the program in a different direction. I was furious but my question is how should this school be dealt with? If a student does this we are outraged and are swift to say he is immature.

Listen FAM, all I am saying is that the NCAA has been promising for years to fix some of the issues and they have not done so yet. lol imagine a bagel with nothing on it being refereed to as a snack but if you add peanut butter of cream cheese to it then it becomes a meal. Even the President of the NCAA found this rule to be ridiculous. It took a players comments of going to bed hungry at night to get someones attention. This is why I stated the athletes need a platform to be heard. Please don't tell me about the few student groups that are invited to participate at the local colleges or NCAA meetings because if they had a voice then I think something simple as a bagel would have been dealt with a long time ago. Again let me reiterate. I am not a fan of a union but if this is the only option that will get these young men and women heard then so be it. College football will change but don't put the blame on the SEC. I think if the NCAA would have shown some sort of action to address the minor issues involving student athletes then we would not have this issue. Hey give each kid a stipend. When you get a chance read up on the homeless college football player. He did not have a home to go to during breaks when school was not in session. Fans wanted to provide support but the NCAA stated that this was against the rules. No the NCAA softened their stance but should this was not the first case in which this has occurred. I am just saying. Make an effort to address the deficiencies in the rules and let's get back to playing some good college football.

As usual, you make some very cogent points. However, I do not expect the NCAA will do anything meaningful to address these issues being the inept organization that it is. How else do you explain Tech getting probation for $312 worth of clothing while the more flagrant offenders such as Miami, Ohio State, and LSU go unpunished?

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
As usual, you make some very cogent points. However, I do not expect the NCAA will do anything meaningful to address these issues being the inept organization that it is. How else do you explain Tech getting probation for $312 worth of clothing while the more flagrant offenders such as Miami, Ohio State, and LSU go unpunished?
My thoughts exactly. It worked for a while but now it is time for change. The punishment handed down to Ga Tech was more of a let me show you my authority rather than hey you committed a huge violation that needs to be dealt with. Maybe everyone should have follow Alabama's lead. Just refuse to talk. The SEC is simply calling out the NCAA in an effort to force change.

Animal02

Banned
Hey give each kid a stipend.

I have been in favor of stipends for years. It will not take all the corruption out, but would get rid of some of it. Also, allow 'X" amount of travel reimbusement......some kids live half way across the country while others live across town. Why should a kid not be able to fly home at the holiday/semester break on the University's dime?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have been in favor of stipends for years. It will not take all the corruption out, but would get rid of some of it. Also, allow 'X" amount of travel reimbusement......some kids live half way across the country while others live across town. Why should a kid not be able to fly home at the holiday/semester break on the University's dime?
Because a bus cost less... only semi joking... is GT to fly Gostis home for each holiday? What about other players from around the globe? The thought is nice, but doesn't seem feasible because you are "giving" one student a higher compensation rate amount than another (for this discussion exclude the difference in out of state vs. ins state tuition).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I follow your post. Title IX is federal law regulating institutions of higher education directly. I don't understand the point you are making about affiliation to the NCAA.

As I read the OP's link, it talked about wanting some concessions from the NCAA for greater flexibility with respect to the SA's, but the alternative was the formation of a Div IV still under the overarching auspices of the NCAA. Where did you get this idea about leaving the NCAA entirely.

Ok I thought title IX was a NCAA thing not federal law. Which is dumb.

The leaving NCAA altogether was a discussion about a year ago....there still is and was serious conversation about the big 5 splitting from the NCAA altogether and changing/running their own show.

In my opinion if you look at that potential, and now the more subdued but recent comments by Slive this is a warning shot and just the start if the NCAA doesn't change.

Leaving the NCAA is more real than people think. I talked to our AD 3 years ago and he told me in a small lunch meeting that there are 3 things on the table and they were all real. One of those was GT to the big Ten. I will reveal that because it eventually didn't happen due to all the changes the last 3 years. But that was on the table. One was discussion about what to do with the NCAA, and the final was the course we took which was simply staying with the ACC....It was an interesting topic of discussion.

"The game is afoot.". I fully expect us to have semi-pro college football within 5 years.

Within five years? We have it now. Compare a player that is on full scholarship, attends and graduates with zero loan debt, to Rochambeau Jr., with the same degree, but $70,000 in student loans. This hogwash that the players don't get compensated is just propaganda.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'll go you one better: get colleges out of supporting scholarship athletics altogether. If we converted the whole kit and caboodle to Div 3 standards, we might be able to address a good many of the problems that collegiate education now faces. I just ran across some OECD figures on this. The US spends more on college, no matter how you measure it, then any other country in the organization. The reason why is revealing: we spend twice as much as our nearest OECD competitor (the UK) on what their stats people call "ancillary services" (transport, room, and board). Since no other post-secondary system in the universe has anything like the collegiate sports complex in this country, I would guess that the sports expenses ended up in there. Throw in the immense expansion of administration in our colleges - the great proportion of it unnecessary and driven by the need to be more "competitive" in areas that have nothing much to do with education - and you have the solution for why collegiate education has become so expensive here.

Exactly !!!! College is about educating a population of people NOT semi pro football.
To be honest this isn't good for academic institutions at all.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
^NCAA has pretty much shown itself to be incompetent, biased in penalties, and ineffective. So there is your upside and reasoning for leving it. And it could happen.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
^NCAA has pretty much shown itself to be incompetent, biased in penalties, and ineffective. So there is your upside and reasoning for leving it. And it could happen.

and the alternative? Government intervention? the schools "regulate" themselves?
I think people levy these statements based on isolated incidences as if everything has run amok. When the reality is that games are played, institutions are are in some way regulated in about as much as they reasonably can. They manage over 1200 institutions 3 Divisions, multiple sports, conferences, and players, and people are in a uproar over what isolated incident they read in the paper. I get it. It's not perfect somethings are antiquated, somethings need to be strengthened but NCAA is far from being completely incompetent and ineffective.