SEC throws down gauntlet in football to NCAA

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Link

SEC says that if the NCAA doesn't allow the big 5 power conferences to legally give benefits to their players in football that they have all collectively decided they'll create a Division IV and move to that.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I still do not see how many of the schools can afford this, especially if you have to match this with women's and non revenue sports. This could alter the landscape forever. I interpet this to mean they want the NCAA to give them the rights to make the rules regardless of independents and small conferences. Could effect ND and BYU.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I still do not see how many of the schools can afford this, especially if you have to match this with women's and non revenue sports. This could alter the landscape forever. I interpet this to mean they want the NCAA to give them the rights to make the rules regardless of independents and small conferences. Could effect ND and BYU.

if they split from the NCAA they don't have to honor title 9 and believe me the AA's can afford it. That his what this is may get to. This is a start. Its about splitting from the NCAA. Once that happen your rules no longer apply.....so we will see how this ultimately progresses...do they totally split from the NCAA eventually?

It seems to me that the message is the NCAA is antiquated and if you dont' change we will...

Scubapro

Banned
I cant stand the NCAA and their double standards regarding alleged "infractions" and I would like nothing better than see them exposed for the true frauds that they are.
I think this may be the start of the process of the downfall of the NCAA. However I think this will end college athletics as we know it.
What the SEC is asking for essentially is for the school to be able to sponsor minor league football...since essentially none of their players really attend class and get an education...the SEC just wants to end the charade and give the player what they deem as acceptable (payment).
The SEC gets TONs of credit for making college football the big business that it is today. See the ESPN 30 for 30 about the start of the SEC championship....BUT if this goes thru then the SEC will be seen at the conference that killed the game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
if they split from the NCAA they don't have to honor title 9 and believe me the AA's can afford it. That his what this is may get to. This is a start. Its about splitting from the NCAA. Once that happen your rules no longer apply.....so we will see how this ultimately progresses...do they totally split from the NCAA eventually?

It seems to me that the message is the NCAA is antiquated and if you dont' change we will...

I'm not sure I follow your post. Title IX is federal law regulating institutions of higher education directly. I don't understand the point you are making about affiliation to the NCAA.

As I read the OP's link, it talked about wanting some concessions from the NCAA for greater flexibility with respect to the SA's, but the alternative was the formation of a Div IV still under the overarching auspices of the NCAA. Where did you get this idea about leaving the NCAA entirely.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
if they split from the NCAA they don't have to honor title 9 and believe me the AA's can afford it.

I don't know if this is accurate. From what I remember of the text of Title IX it doesn't mention the NCAA at all. Just "education" so it would still apply I believe.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA will cave on this. They make too much money not to. I think this could actually be good for us overall. I do not think we (by choice) have as much dirty laundry as some of the other colleges. I think this will allow us to offer some benefits to players to get them here other than an easy degree, which we do not offer.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA will cave on this. They make too much money not to. I think this could actually be good for us overall. I do not think we (by choice) have as much dirty laundry as some of the other colleges. I think this will allow us to offer some benefits to players to get them here other than an easy degree, which we do not offer.

Where will all of this $$$ come from to offer guys? Unless there is some sort of salary structure or hard limits placed on spending, a development like this could kill GT football. Money is already a huge factor in football program success. Making it more integral could never help GT in my opinion. I just don't see the $$$.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Where will all of this $$$ come from to offer guys? Unless there is some sort of salary structure or hard limits placed on spending, a development like this could kill GT football. Money is already a huge factor in football program success. Making it more integral could never help GT in my opinion. I just don't see the $$$.
$312 in clothing and aquarium tickets won't seem so bad.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

I think if you are GT you start highlighting the number of athletes that have no skills after graduating, and end up near poverty. If I were GT I would do what we do well, partner with businesses and offer employment after graduation if the NFL does not pan out. Parents are usually interested in the long term benefit of education, and scholarships are just a means to get their child an education they could not get/afford otherwise. Offer longer term benefits through partnerships that other colleges are not interested in offering.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't see where the money would come from for this from any school. Long term medical care for 85 players in a high contact sport like this would be through the roof and then you would be forced to provide the same coverage for every other athletic program on your campus. I don't see how most schools can afford this without the help from the NCAA.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
"It's not something we want to do," Slive said on the final day of the SEC meetings. "We want the ability to have autonomy in areas that has a nexus to the well-being of student athletes."

LOL

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like the idea Joey posted on FTRS (http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...gia-tech-yellow-jackets-minor-league-football). His argument is basically start up minor league football a la minor league baseball for those kids who have no interest in getting an education and let them try getting to the NFL that way. For the kids that are interested in getting an education, keep college football for them. Sure the level of competition may go down a bit, but it gives schools like Tech a better chance to succeed in the football environment when a majority of 4 and 5 star guys go the minor league route when they have no real interest in getting an education to begin with.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like the idea Joey posted on FTRS (http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...gia-tech-yellow-jackets-minor-league-football). His argument is basically start up minor league football a la minor league baseball for those kids who have no interest in getting an education and let them try getting to the NFL that way. For the kids that are interested in getting an education, keep college football for them. Sure the level of competition may go down a bit, but it gives schools like Tech a better chance to succeed in the football environment when a majority of 4 and 5 star guys go the minor league route when they have no real interest in getting an education to begin with.

That may have some unintended consequences. When faced with this competition, SEC schools like UGA would probably create majors like Attendance and Writing Your Name.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
That may have some unintended consequences. When faced with this competition, SEC schools like UGA would probably create majors like Attendance and Writing Your Name.

Im not sure if you are being completely serious or not haha, but I do not think universities would create easy majors. First, all new majors have to be approved by state board of reagents before they can even be instated. Second, with all the scrutiny UNC is under for their easy majors, I dont think other universities would want to fall under the scrutiny. Third, the majors the factories already have are pretty easy, I dont know how much easier they could get...