SEC Dominance

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone has the numbers on the SEC vs ACC games other than the "rivalry" games? I admit I'm too lazy to look them up this evening. I know Tech has dominated their SEC games (other than GA) in the last several years but it would interesting to see how the rest of the ACC has done in the last, say 10 years.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone has the numbers on the SEC vs ACC games other than the "rivalry" games? I admit I'm too lazy to look them up this evening. I know Tech has dominated their SEC games (other than GA) in the last several years but it would interesting to see how the rest of the ACC has done in the last, say 10 years.
Looks like from 2002-2012, ACC is 40-55 against the SEC.
source:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...am=Virginia&team=VirginiaTech&team=WakeForest

It even gives a breakdown of teams against the SEC. we are 8-11 (.421 winning %) and here's the breakdown for the rest of the conference:
BC: 0-1
Clemson: 11-11
Duke: 1-4
FSU: 6-9
Maryland: 1-0
Miami: 4-3
UNC: 1-2
NC State: 0-4
UVA: 1-2
VT: 2-4
Wake: 5-4

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Look at the top four teams in the SEC (Alabama, LSU, Florida and UGA). They're 4-1, 4-1, 12-1 and 9-6 against ACC, respectively. That's 29 of the 55 wins by those four teams.

Now, if we exclude Alabama, LSU and the UGA wins over GT (we just continue to crap the bed there), they've lost 17 wins and 3 losses off that record, putting the record at 37-38. I'd say that's pretty decent against "the dominant college football conference".

So, the SEC has two of the most dominant teams in college football in Alabama and LSU, who knew? Also, we haven't been able to {consistently} win against UGA, surprise!, surprise!, surprise!. I contend that Alabama and LSU would dominate most if not all conferences. Unfortunately, I think Florida and UGA would fair pretty well too. Other that that, they're an average conference. There are 2-3 teams doing the heavy lifting, and the rest tend to ride the coat tails.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Yea UGA was 1-1 against ranked opponents in the regular season. If we were to swap last years schedules with UGA, I think we both end up with the same records. They only played 2 good teams last year and got the hell beat of them, but Notre Dame didn't deserve to be in the national championship because "they didn't play nobody and we only lost 1 game in the SEC and barely lost to BAMA" I heard dozens of uga fans sayin they deserve to play a rematch for the NC against bama cause their 11-2 record was more worthy than NDs 13-0. Hate that BAMA run over ND the way they did, but UGA woulda got stomped in a rematch. You take away the blocked FG for a Td and Saban throwing on 2nd and goal from the 1yd line it's a blowout

Last edited:

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at the top four teams in the SEC (Alabama, LSU, Florida and UGA). They're 4-1, 4-1, 12-1 and 9-6 against ACC, respectively. That's 29 of the 55 wins by those four teams.

Now, if we exclude Alabama, LSU and the UGA wins over GT (we just continue to crap the bed there), they've lost 17 wins and 3 losses off that record, putting the record at 37-38. I'd say that's pretty decent against "the dominant college football conference".

So, the SEC has two of the most dominant teams in college football in Alabama and LSU, who knew? Also, we haven't been able to {consistently} win against UGA, surprise!, surprise!, surprise!. I contend that Alabama and LSU would dominate most if not all conferences. Unfortunately, I think Florida and UGA would fair pretty well too. Other that that, they're an average conference. There are 2-3 teams doing the heavy lifting, and the rest tend to ride the coat tails.
If that's how you want to compare, then you need to also remove the top 4 teams from other conferences before you compare.

USC, UF and uga will play 2 ACC games each this season. What do you think their record will be? Mind you, those games are mostly with ACC favorites.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If that's how you want to compare, then you need to also remove the top 4 teams from other conferences before you compare.

USC, UF and uga will play 2 ACC games each this season. What do you think their record will be? Mind you, those games are mostly with ACC favorites.

If you want to compare straight up, I agree with you. I wasn't really trying to do that. The only thing I was trying to point out is that if you take Alabama and LSU out of the equation (neglecting our pitiful showing against UGA), and compare the SEC to other conferences, they're more equal than not. The fact that there are two (sometimes three) nationally prominent teams at the top of the SEC any given year skews perception.

My opinion is that if you were to have conference match-ups like the ACC's done in basketball with the Big East and then the Big Ten, no one would be able to stand up against the SEC. However, if you remove Alabama and LSU from that equation, I think most conferences would stack fairly evenly, potentially favorably, against the SEC. The top heaviness of the SEC skews perception.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want to compare straight up, I agree with you. I wasn't really trying to do that. The only thing I was trying to point out is that if you take Alabama and LSU out of the equation (neglecting our pitiful showing against UGA), and compare the SEC to other conferences, they're more equal than not. The fact that there are two (sometimes three) nationally prominent teams at the top of the SEC any given year skews perception.

My opinion is that if you were to have conference match-ups like the ACC's done in basketball with the Big East and then the Big Ten, no one would be able to stand up against the SEC. However, if you remove Alabama and LSU from that equation, I think most conferences would stack fairly evenly, potentially favorably, against the SEC. The top heaviness of the SEC skews perception.
Yeah it probably does skew the perception, but it doesn't change the fact that SEC is the dominant conference. With or without the skewing.

Not to mention, pretty much every conference out there is top heavy.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I'd r
Week 1 ....UNC vs USCe, Bama vs VT and Clemson vs UGA.
id rather have fla st and Miami in place of VT and UNC, don't know if it would change the outcome but maybe help as far as scores. SEC #1 vs. Acc ##4-5) Sec #2 vs. Acc #5-6 ) Sec #3 vs. Acc #1-2 is how it's set up now.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't find where I originally read it, but I recall UNC being touted for their surprisingly good rushing defense last year. At least until they played GT, that is.

Remember that Vanderbilt almost beat USCe last year in the opening weekend... UNC has a good chance.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If ACC takes 2, then I think that'll be huge. Based on rankings, the SEC teams are the significant favorites. CU and dwags sets up for them to Clemson the game. I think UNC has the best shot because SC often goes mental.