SEC Dominance?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Even though I despise the SEC, I have to admit they have been the dominant conference for several years. And, unlike most conferences, they have not been just a top heavy conference. In years past, their #5 thru #11 teams would have been just as strong as every other conferences' #1 thru #6.

But the landscape of college football is changing. We saw it begin in the bowl games last year with FSU winning the title and Oklahoma blowing out Alabama.

This season the ACC went 4-0 against the SEC in the rivalry games. This hadn't been accomplished since 2000. Of course the SEC homers point to the fact that it was all done against the SEC east. So I went and looked at all the records for every SEC team and tried to find OOC wins that would justify the SEC west as being some sort of juggernaut. Here is the list:

Auburn beat 9-3 KSU 20-14
LSU beat 10-3 Wisc. 28-24
Ole Miss beat 11-2 Boise St. 35-13

In reality, the most impressive OOC win this season for the SEC is Ugag's 45-21 win over Clemson. Seriously, I don't know how good Miss. State really is because they haven't played anybody outside of the SEC. What I can say is that I am not nearly as afraid of playing them as I would have playing Michigan St. All of the stats say Miss. St. is better, but until I actually see them beat someone of consequence my opinion is that we can handle MSU south much better than MSU north.

Another piece of evidence that says we might be OK in this Orange Bowl - last year we hung tough with Ole Miss, and I know we are a GREATLY improved team. Has Ole Miss made the same improvement we have? Yes they stunned Alabama at home, but they got blown out by Arkansas, beat by an unusually mediocre LSU, and lost to Auburn. But Ole Miss manhandled Miss. St. in their rivalry game.

Ultimately, the bowl showdowns will give us a much clearer picture of just how good the SEC is, but I am not ready to give them any credit unless they earn it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Auburn beat 9-3 KSU 20-14
LSU beat 10-3 Wisc. 28-24
Ole Miss beat 11-2 Boise St. 35-13

These were all pretty good wins. ACC had BC over USC, VT over OhSt, 4-0 over SEC......but also had a lot of ooc losses to pull the conference down...ECU to name one.
I still think it's good to play tough ooc opponents...but SEC gets benefit of doubt for not playing in many and usually winning when they do

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought the SEC had a losing, 5-6, record against power 5 teams? I must be mistaken... they truly are dominant...
winorlose.jpg

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
SEC is the best conference, but not by the margin that media promotes it. I've got questions about how good Mississippi State really is. They came into the season not expected to do much. They played no one their 1st 3 games (as we did). UAB actually put some numbers up on them. They then became vaulted to number one in the nation off the strength of beating LSU, Texas A & M and Auburn in 3 consecutive weeks. It was later discovered that LSU, A & M and Auburn, despite being good, we are all quite beatable teams. Even though they've allowed less than 20 points a game and everyone talks about how great their front 7 is, they are the definition of bend-but-don't-break defensively. They rank 81st in ypg, several spots behind us at 65th in ypg defensively. With the exception of the Duke game, when we get in the red zone we generally punch it in on folks. Should be a good match up. I hope our team is psyched to burst the myth that every team in the SEC is so mighty and great.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
we have GT-MSU, Miami-USC, and Louisville-Uga matchups. plus the potential for FSU-Bama. Here is another opportunity for the league. I think MSU south helps us (as a program and a conference) more than the Big10 version. the few times I have seen them i haven't been impressed or rather, I didn't think they were a top 4 or 5 team when the rankings had them there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
how good are State's DT's? are we talking about '08 LSU, '09 Iowa nfl bound or less? how do they compare to Clemson's D?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
we have GT-MSU, Miami-USC, and Louisville-Uga matchups. plus the potential for FSU-Bama. Here is another opportunity for the league. I think MSU south helps us (as a program and a conference) more than the Big10 version. the few times I have seen them i haven't been impressed or rather, I didn't think they were a top 4 or 5 team when the rankings had them there.
Perhaps I am the only one but I hope Alabama bows out early in the playoffs. I would love to see the SEC sitting on the sidelines alternating between excuse making, "wait until next year," and, "Gee, we have really slipped as a conference."

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Perhaps I am the only one but I hope Alabama bows out early in the playoffs. I would love to see the SEC sitting on the sidelines alternating between excuse making, "wait until next year," and, "Gee, we have really slipped as a conference."

I am excited to see how the Mighty Tide can handle OSU's apparently phenomenal 3rd string quarterback. I don't think anybody predicted the thrashing they gave Wisconsin. I certainly didn't. I thought Wisconsin could take them. Now, I know and everybody knows that OSU is definitely for real. What a STATEMENT GAME! Wisconsin was shut down completely in every single phase of the game. Everybody thought OSU would play conservative with their 3rd stringer QB having his first career start in a B1G championship game, but it was just the opposite. He let it rip and burned them alive on his passing game. Wisconsin's Heisman Trophy candidate running back, Gordon, who leads the country with 2,260 yards rushing and 26 TD's was completely shut down managing only 78 yards and never once made it into the end zone. OSU kept Wisconsin's rushing to just 2.1 yards per carry. I think Bama's going to have their hands full with Cinderella OSU who just got invited to crash the Ball.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-grades-analysis-for-wisconsin-and-ohio-state

FSU thought our triple option was tough and almost unstoppable, but we had neither a serious passing game dual-threat nor a defense that could give them real fits. If they brought their A-game to play us, they're going to need a lot more to beat Oregon which has a deadly dual-threat offense and a pretty good defense. It will be good to see the Battle of the Heisman Trophy Quarterbacks.

Prediction for Final Championship Game: Oregon vs. OSU

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU thought our triple option was tough and almost unstoppable, but we had neither a serious passing game dual-threat nor a defense that could give them real fits.
You and I were watching two different games. Our passing game was not the problem. 8-14 for 134 yds (9.6 avg & 1 TD) plus 331 yds (4 TDs) on the ground. Many offenses would kill for 331 passing and 134 rushing (4 pass TD & 1 rush TD) against the defending national champs. How much better can any offense be?

For reference FSU's D has allowed an average of 225 yds passing and 145 yds rushing before the ACCCG.

FSU's drives were 4 TDs, 3 FG, 2 punts. Say it with me now: "Our O was not the problem".

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
SEC is the best conference, but not by the margin that media promotes it. .

Agree with the above. The SEC has never IMHO been "massively" better. The differences usually aren't nearly as big as people make them out. If we had a couple more turnovers this year, or caused a couple less, CPJ would still be on the hot seat and we would be at a low level bowl game. Change maybe 3 plays this season for the better and we are a 1 loss team and in the playoffs (like Auburn last year). The fact is that improving marginally in a few areas (as well as a couple breaks) can make a huge difference. As has been pointed out, improved strength and conditioning may have been a major factor in our 4th quarter improvement. Even as we improve recruiting, I doubt we become a ton better (i.e beating GA by over 20 each year) but we should start averaging 1-3 losses a year instead of 5.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know why, but it seems like the SEC is identified with its best teams, while the ACC gets associated more with its worst teams. Now that the ACC's best teams are better than in previous years, maybe that will start to change. That is why I hope FSU can hang on again and win it all - that will help elevate our conference reputation in the long run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am excited to see how the Mighty Tide can handle OSU's apparently phenomenal 3rd string quarterback. I don't think anybody predicted the thrashing they gave Wisconsin. I certainly didn't. I thought Wisconsin could take them. Now, I know and everybody knows that OSU is definitely for real. What a STATEMENT GAME! Wisconsin was shut down completely in every single phase of the game. Everybody thought OSU would play conservative with their 3rd stringer QB having his first career start in a B1G championship game, but it was just the opposite. He let it rip and burned them alive on his passing game. Wisconsin's Heisman Trophy candidate running back, Gordon, who leads the country with 2,260 yards rushing and 26 TD's was completely shut down managing only 78 yards and never once made it into the end zone. OSU kept Wisconsin's rushing to just 2.1 yards per carry. I think Bama's going to have their hands full with Cinderella OSU who just got invited to crash the Ball.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-grades-analysis-for-wisconsin-and-ohio-state

FSU thought our triple option was tough and almost unstoppable, but we had neither a serious passing game dual-threat nor a defense that could give them real fits. If they brought their A-game to play us, they're going to need a lot more to beat Oregon which has a deadly dual-threat offense and a pretty good defense. It will be good to see the Battle of the Heisman Trophy Quarterbacks.

Prediction for Final Championship Game: Oregon vs. OSU
Go ducks! I can't stand Winston more than I like ACC reputation advancement. Actually, FSU winning does nothing for the league's rep.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
You and I were watching two different games. Our passing game was not the problem. 8-14 for 134 yds (9.6 avg & 1 TD) plus 331 yds (4 TDs) on the ground. Many offenses would kill for 331 passing and 134 rushing (4 pass TD & 1 rush TD) against the defending national champs. How much better can any offense be?

For reference FSU's D has allowed an average of 225 yds passing and 145 yds rushing before the ACCCG.

FSU's drives were 4 TDs, 3 FG, 2 punts. Say it with me now: "Our O was not the problem".

We didn't throw it much at all other than that one super-fast "Let's play catch up now when it's too late to make a difference" drive. If our passing game was that good, why wasn't it employed more often especially when it was needed earlier in the game? IMO, PJ waited too late to bring out the passing game into the equation. We have other weapons besides our running game, and when opposing defenses start getting the hang of what you're doing, you need to bring out some more weapons. We never fully utilized our passing game in my opinion, and I believe we brought the weapon to the fight just a bit late when the fight was already lost. FSU on the other hand maintained their dual threat all game long. Our record in bowl games under PJ is 1-5 because teams have enough time to prepare for the TO. FSU didn't have but a week to prepare for our TO, but they had our former interim DC, Kelly, who could give them some insider information. They eventually started to get more stops on us as they began to figure out our schemes. It was at this point in the game that we needed to switch it up quickly with some more passing plays in the mix. IMO, we should have been utilizing our pass option a lot more than we did during the ENTIRE game though because of its tremendous potential for big plays and keeping defenses guessing. If PJ likes to gamble so much, why didn't he gamble on some pass plays more often during the ENTIRE game instead of 4th and 6 at midfield, which was batbleep crazy in my estimation?

Last edited:

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe the SEC is the media darling in part because they have won so many national championships for so many years now lately since 2006. From 2006 onward until FSU's victory last year over Auburn, an SEC team has been the National Champion...

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html

2006 Florida 13-1 BCS Championship Game : Beat Ohio State 41-14 Urban Meyer
2007 LSU 12-2 BCS Championship Game: Beat Ohio State 38-24 Les Miles
2008 Florida 13-1 BCS Championship Game: Beat Oklahoma 24-14 Urban Meyer
2009 Alabama 14-0 BCS Championship Game: Beat Texas 37-21 Nick Saban
2010 Auburn 14-0 BCS Championship Game: Beat Oregon 22-19 Gene Chizik
2011 Alabama 12-1 BCS Championship Game: Beat LSU 21-0 Nick Saban
2012 Alabama 13-1 BCS Championship Game: Beat Notre Dame 42-14 Nick Saban
2013 Florida State 14-0 BCS Championship Game: Beat Auburn 34-31 Jimbo Fisher

Maybe, if the ACC starts winning national championships more often, we might get some more respect and especially if it's more than just ONE ACC team winning those national championships.

Last edited:

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
We didn't throw it much at all other than that one super-fast "Let's play catch up now when it's too late to make a difference" drive. If our passing game was that good, why wasn't it employed more often especially when it was needed earlier in the game? IMO, PJ waited too late to bring out the passing game into the equation. We have other weapons besides our running game, and when opposing defenses start getting the hang of what you're doing, you need to bring out some more weapons. We never fully utilized our passing game in my opinion, and I believe we brought the weapon to the fight just a bit late when the fight was already lost. FSU on the other hand maintained their dual threat all game long. Our record in bowl games under PJ is 1-5 because teams have enough time to prepare for the TO. FSU didn't have but a week to prepare for our TO, but they had our former interim DC, Kelly, who could give them some insider information. They eventually started to get more stops on us as they began to figure out our schemes. It was at this point in the game that we needed to switch it up quickly with some more passing plays in the mix. IMO, we should have been utilizing our pass option a lot more than we did during the ENTIRE game though because of its tremendous potential for big plays and keeping defenses guessing. If PJ likes to gamble so much, why didn't he gamble on some pass plays more often during the ENTIRE game instead of 4th and 6 at midfield, which was batbleep crazy in my estimation?
fry-meme-trolling-or-stupid.jpg

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan

All I'm trying to say is that PJ seemed to be playing it too conservatively with the passing game. He seemed to be playing keep away instead of put this game away. I think when it was clear they were catching on to our running schemes and getting stops we should have let it rip. Not having Smelter in the game was a factor and it showed.