Seating in Athens

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
Heading to the game in Athens this year for the first time. Is there an area where the Tech fans usually sit, or is it more spread out?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Most of them sit outside Athens/Clarke county.

I've never had a good experience going to Sanford and son stadium.

Expect to have rocks thrown at you lol...it happens :)

Seriously, becareful . ....they weren't voted the worse fan base for nothing.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
They used to urinate off the upper level onto GT fans on the lower level. They will also scratch your car, so don't have anything GT on the car. Plus you can walk a mile and a half to the game. I went to my last game in that place in Gailey's first year.

Jmonty71

Banned
I haven't been to a UGA/GT game. Love to go. But, have never been. I've been to a couple of games at UGA. Given, not playing us. But, the people seemed ok.

Nixon_Corral

Georgia Tech Fan
uga-seating.jpg

This was the visitor's section for UT. Should be the same for GT.

Don't be put off by others' stories. I went to Athens in '12 and '14 and was fine both times. In '12 I had a bad experience with a couple frat boys at the end of the game (we were still there in the 4th when they were whipping our ***, so we were easy targets). We'd brought the To Hell with Georgia page from The Technique and were holding it up. One of them came over and stole it and tore it up, then ran off into the crowd calling us names. Pretty wuss move, honestly. I just went about my day and didn't let them get to me. But as far as actual personal violence or damage to my car or anything, nothing's ever happened. May have helped in '14 that we beat them in such shocking fashion. ;)

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
If you buy through the AA, the seats are in an armpit of the stadium. There's mostly Tech folk, but the view is terrible. I've been there twice '98 and '14. Was in the band in '98, got pelted with beer bottles and rocks, winning FG landed near me and the ball left with us.
'14, I was polite and didn't have too much problems with other fans. I think the earlier game helped. The later it is, the drunker and nastier the fans are.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Went in both 08 and 14, great experience both times. Everybody was very nice. Last time, someone even took a picture of me and my buddy at the end of the game. Took the picture a few times to make sure to get the g in the picture. We were decked out in yellow.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I went in '14. Greatest experience of my life. Had a couple UGA fans near me who were kind of jerks, but the majority treated me well despite me being one of maybe five Tech fans in the entire section.

I haven't been since 2002. Prior to that, I always had seats in the upper deck sideline, but that year I was in the upper deck endzone. From what I saw on TV in 2014, Tech fans were in the lower deck endzone; I guess that would qualify as the "armpit" of the stadium. Maybe they were scattered about in other sections, but that was all that showed on TV. I have had bad experiences there, win or lose, almost every time I went; got spit on by a redneck mutt fan after one win. I have no desire to go back win or lose unless someone gives me a ticket and a ride....LOL My best experience there was in 1974, in the miserable, cold rain and wind. I took my dad and suggested we leave at halftime, with Tech already well in command of the game. He refused to leave, saying he was enjoying it too much. Best time in Athens and best time ever spent with my dad.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The largest grouping of the GT fans seem to be in sections 102, 103, or 104, I think. They may scattered throughout other sections but, again, the largest grouping is in that section in the lower level towards the west end by the bridge.

I think the reason the Tennessee allotment appears to be good is that Tennessee fans, for better or worse, don't mind going to Athens (not much better in Knoxville, frankly), while Tech fans just flat don't want to go to Athens.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Been to every game since '02, save for '12. Wife (then girlfriend) went once and will not return. She was pushed against the wall while in line for the bathroom... "Tech girls don't use the restroom before us."

Separately during pregame tailgating, with others as a witness, a guy and guy friend walked up unsolicited to her with a female friend and said stte "confirms ugly girls go to Tech".

I've had bottles thrown at our group outside of the stadium, unprovoked.

Had drinks thrown at us from a few rows up (student section).

After a loss some guys jumped out of a bush a started barking at us on our way back to the car, not doing anything other than talking.

All of the above has happened in different combinations, me+wife, me+guy friends, me+mix of GT/UGA fans.

In fairness, at a home game I almost beat the s*** out of a UGA fan who came into our student block, following a GT L, and demanded his buddy to take a picture of him doing a Jesus pose in front of the scoreboard right in the middle of us. Only reason I didn't beat his a**... my friends pulled me away after I threw him down and then they went after him. Kid got up and walked away and I assure you he regretted it.

Other times I've had no trouble.

No matter what, I will be there again this year. Few better moments in life than '08 when me + buddy worked our way down next to the band and Dwyer jumpstarted the 2nd half, and then '14 with the deafening silence after both the Kick and the Pick.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
My dad got us tickets in 130 something in 14 from a friend who couldn't go but was a dwag season ticket holder. People were actually pretty friendly over there before the game but didn't have much to say to us after. They were kind of annoyed with the guy who sold us tickets though and he said he wouldn't sell to us again lol

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Most of them sit outside Athens/Clarke county.

I've never had a good experience going to Sanford and son stadium.

Expect to have rocks thrown at you lol...it happens :)

Seriously, becareful . ....they weren't voted the worse fan base for nothing.

Lol...I've been to every Tech vs. Georgia game since 1999. In all that time I've been involved in four altercations. Three of them were at Grant Field, and one was in Athens...well after the game at a bar hours later because my brother was acting like an idiot after we lost.

It's really not that bad as long as you don't go out of your way to egg someone on. Most Tech fans in the past sit in the 600 level but in 2014 I was in the lower corner (section 144). My tickets this year are in the lower corner as well.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Been many times to Tech/ugag games in athens. They well bark at you, but just smile and pump your fist and yell "GO Jackets".

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever this discussion comes up, the stories lead me to the same conclusion... experiences of one does not reflect the experiences of all. Pretty standard for life.

As I mentioned above, my interactions in Athens on gameday over the years have a mixed bag with little rhyme or reason. We've never provoked anyone other than wear Tech gear, if that even makes sense. I've done all different types of tailgates and sat in almost every mixed group in the stadium.

So I suppose the obvious way to minimize risk is to tailgate in a Tech lot (elementary school still?), walk to the stadium with the masses, and sit in the Tech section. If commingling before, during, or after is your thing, then the risk goes up. I'm sure I've missed the safe havens with more cultured folk. Congrats to those that know how to do it, but I am starting to wonder if you really share the HATE :cool: ;)