Season Ticket Renewal Has Started

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Weak. All im going to say about that. Theres a reason we cant fill up the stadium and it starts with fans like you. No other way to look at it!
100% wrong. The primary (not only) reason we can't fill up the stadium is we now have a consistently losing program... Fans ALWAYS follow and support winning programs in every sport in every location worldwide. No other way to look at it...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
100% wrong. The primary (not only) reason we can't fill up the stadium is we now have a consistently losing program... Fans ALWAYS follow and support winning programs in every sport in every location worldwide. No other way to look at it...
I wouldn't be so hard on Tech. Yes, the current state of the program is not helping attendance but attendance is dropping everywhere. The average attendance in 2021 was down 15 percent, more than 7,000 per game, from a record mark of 46,971 in 2008.

Why? Television and expense. This isn’t 10 years ago, 15 or even 20 years ago. Almost every game is broadcast now and if you attend a game, you are likely missing an even better one being broadcast. And one where you can sit in your EasyChair, enjoy a cold brew and easily hit the restroom.

As to expenses, I bought my first season tickets in 1983. What were the costs then? Parking was free (at the Coca-Cola garage), gas prices were low, you could buy a Coke in a souvenir cup for a $1. What is it now? $35 for the seat? Plus parking? Plus gas? Plus $5 for the Coke. With food, you are already into $100+ territory and probably more if your seats are any good.

No, attendance is going to continue to slide no matter what. I will not be surprised at all for Tech to average 30,000/game in the not to distant future. Tech will have to be truly innovative to go against the tide on this one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A winning program at Tech will net you 35,000 seats. A losing program between 15k and 20k. When we're up and down, it tends to be about 25k. Now, that's season tickets sold, not butts in seats. The remainder of seats sold depends on who we're playing and how well we're playing. It would take a historically unprecedented (recent history, as in the past 40-50 years) string of successful years or a 180 by the GTAA marketing arm to "fill up the stadium" with our people.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be so hard on Tech. Yes, the current state of the program is not helping attendance but attendance is dropping everywhere. The average attendance in 2021 was down 15 percent, more than 7,000 per game, from a record mark of 46,971 in 2008.

Why? Television and expense. This isn’t 10 years ago, 15 or even 20 years ago. Almost every game is broadcast now and if you attend a game, you are likely missing an even better one being broadcast. And one where you can sit in your EasyChair, enjoy a cold brew and easily hit the restroom.

As to expenses, I bought my first season tickets in 1983. What were the costs then? Parking was free (at the Coca-Cola garage), gas prices were low, you could buy a Coke in a souvenir cup for a $1. What is it now? $35 for the seat? Plus parking? Plus gas? Plus $5 for the Coke. With food, you are already into $100+ territory and probably more if your seats are any good.

No, attendance is going to continue to slide no matter what. I will not be surprised at all for Tech to average 30,000/game in the not to distant future. Tech will have to be truly innovative to go against the tide on this one.

The program has to overcome the inflated prices to attend to get more butts in the seats. I have put up with it for as long as I could but it cost me at least $500 a game to travel down and see it in person. I can't continue to buy season tickets with the state of the program. I still have to get some value for my money. This year I will watch and cheer for every game, I will just do it at my house or local sports bar.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The program has to overcome the inflated prices to attend to get more butts in the seats. I have put up with it for as long as I could but it cost me at least $500 a game to travel down and see it in person. I can't continue to buy season tickets with the state of the program. I still have to get some value for my money. This year I will watch and cheer for every game, I will just do it at my house or local sports bar.
I agree. But TV+Expenses is putting so much pressure live attendance that I just don't see a path for Tech to reverse it. Many of the "solutions" are mired in 1980's thinking and we are way beyond that. The reality is that Tech could play in an empty BDS, still earn it's ACC share and Hudson's will be packed to the gills.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

Like I have written to Todd, and told many ticket reps.... The Upper North MUST become BOGO season tickets. Basically buy one season ticket in the upper north get the seat next to it for free. That section NEVER fills out. They are better off "preselling" that section at half price than go through the season with little to no sales at all. Upper North should be about $150 per seat, with the BOGO make it $75 bucks, but to make it a kicker they are non transferable tickets. So no resell value, only for people who will show up or give their money away.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Like I have written to Todd, and told many ticket reps.... The Upper North MUST become BOGO season tickets. Basically buy one season ticket in the upper north get the seat next to it for free. That section NEVER fills out. They are better off "preselling" that section at half price than go through the season with little to no sales at all. Upper North should be about $150 per seat, with the BOGO make it $75 bucks, but to make it a kicker they are non transferable tickets. So no resell value, only for people who will show up or give their money away.
The big question is will drive more sales since I would guess most people are buying in 2 seat blocks which means 1 of the 2 seats is now free. I do think doing something to drive more people in the upper North stands is a good thing, but I just not sure this pricing would drive more seat sales versus reducing revenue on the seats (admittedly not many) you are already selling. I always thought (and suggested to TStan) having seats that could be sold to be given away to groups could be of value. So say you could contribute $50 for 5 seats (or $100 for 10 seats) that would be given to youth groups, military, first responders, etc. to help fill up the seats, hopefully create some new fans and at the least be some goodwill. You could determine which tickets apply to which games so the more popular games (GA, Clemson, etc.) would not get any free seats while games against Western Carolina would get a lot.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Even if tickets were free, I don't think you could fill the stadium for most of our games right now. There is little demand for the product on the field, except by people hoping the product gets better with their donations, so decreasing ticket prices isn't going to help.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Even if tickets were free, I don't think you could fill the stadium for most of our games right now. There is little demand for the product on the field, except by people hoping the product gets better with their donations, so decreasing ticket prices isn't going to help.
How would you suggest we start to fill it again?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Obvious answer is to start winning at home AND winning at least half the road games. Start winning 10 - 12 games on average and people will be apt to actually attend the game.
You do know how ignorant this statement reads, right?

Win 10-12 games on average? I don't think there is a single program in the nation (save maybe 2 or 3) that wouldn't kill for that. That's 10-2 or 12-0 (okay 10-3 or 12-1 with bowl games). With all the money in the world, there are maybe 3 teams that have done that over the past decade.

Let's start with winning 8 and occasionally winning 10-11. That's realistic (well, maybe not with the NIL and portal...remains to be seen).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Win 10-12 games on average? I don't think there is a single program in the nation (save maybe 2 or 3) that wouldn't kill for that. That's 10-2 or 12-0 (okay 10-3 or 12-1 with bowl games). With all the money in the world, there are maybe 3 teams that have done that over the past decade.

Let's start with winning 8 and occasionally winning 10-11. That's realistic (well, maybe not with the NIL and portal...remains to be seen).
Just want to point out the obvious... duh!

I simply answered the question of what would it take to get more butts in the seats. If my statement is wrong, please correct it for me. It comes across at maybe you think that if we averaged 10 to 12 wins a season that more rears wouldn't be in the seats.

I guess I could have added something along the lines of pay people 50 bucks a pop to come in instead of selling the tickets. That would work too to get more people in the stadium.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan

Why would anyone come to GT games if they are terrible and winning 3 games / year? Certainly not for a 'juice crew' or insanely loud, ****ty rap noise blaring too often. This isn't rocket science....THEY GOTTA WIN GAMES. Period. Tech football has sucked for 3 years now and is absolutely irrelevant (not trolling; proud Alum actually). I long for the day we are better but it was obvious to 'even the most casual observer' that with Collins, et. al. we were not and will not be good. If you can't see that, you are not paying attention or just don't want to see the obvious.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just want to point out the obvious... duh!

I simply answered the question of what would it take to get more butts in the seats. If my statement is wrong, please correct it for me. It comes across at maybe you think that if we averaged 10 to 12 wins a season that more rears wouldn't be in the seats.

I guess I could have added something along the lines of pay people 50 bucks a pop to come in instead of selling the tickets. That would work too to get more people in the stadium.
If we went undefeated every year we'd put more butts in the seats too. So? Neither are realistic. I guess you could have suggested something reasonable and entered into the discussion.