Season Preview Series "Diggin In"

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The official GT site has a series previewing different groups of players.

The first is one of our strong suits: outfielders. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/020215aab.html

Good discussion of Kel Johnson. I think he is a regular DH to start the season.

My guess for OF starters in the first weekend series: Spignola, Gonzalez and Innis. Unless Gonzalez in the infield, in which case Peurifoy. Regardless of the starters, I think we will see more rotation this year based on batting strengths against RHP or LHPs. We have the depth in OF and IF.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
The official GT site has a series previewing different groups of players.

The first is one of our strong suits: outfielders. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/020215aab.html

Good discussion of Kel Johnson. I think he is a regular DH to start the season.

My guess for OF starters in the first weekend series: Spignola, Gonzalez and Innis. Unless Gonzalez in the infield, in which case Peurifoy. Regardless of the starters, I think we will see more rotation this year based on batting strengths against RHP or LHPs. We have the depth in OF and IF.
I don't see Gonzo in the IF this year. I feel like we're pretty set with Murray/Johnson at first, Thomas Smith at second, Justus at SS and Gold at third plus whatever freshmen we have for those positions

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed, that's why I had him in my first team outfield. Speedy could play infield if we needed his stealing ability or pinch hitting ..... or outfield.

Beating dead horse comment, but we are very solid everywhere but pitching.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, that's why I had him in my first team outfield. Speedy could play infield if we needed his stealing ability or pinch hitting ..... or outfield.

Beating dead horse comment, but we are very solid everywhere but pitching.
With the exception of not really having a closer, I actually really like our staff this season. I think it'll take a few games to figure out who will close, but I'm confident Hall will find someone to do it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The infield is reviewed here - another strong suit. Watching them turn the 77 double plays last year was a thing of beauty - and needed since the only way to turn one is there is already someone on.
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/020515aaa.html

Smith (1B), Justus (SS) and Gold (3B) for sure to start. Justus needs to get his .254 batting average up, but the plays he made which otheres wouldn't and lack of errors make him one of my favorites.

Hall in the podcast basically said that Fr Wade Bailey will be the starter @ 2B and is a good all around fielder and hitter. Looking forward to seeing him out there.

Like last year, I think Hall will tinker with where people play if he needs to. Our infield was rocky to start the year but after some switches ended up easily one of the best in the ACC.

GTEngin1

Georgia Tech Fan
I think there will be a lot of plug and play situation across the diamond. May take a bit to get a good mix in shape. Can't imagine the decisions that will have to be made in the next coming weeks. Very deep in the corners and OF. Johnson will hit and if not DH could play in RF or 1B. I would not be surprised to see FR Jackson move in at 3B, Hall seemed to be very high on him and Johnson's bats via the interviews.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Catchers today. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/020615aaa.html

No question Pabst is a very good catcher - calling games and throwing runners out. He really helped us last year with all those put outs and we had a much better team record with him catching. But I think he may see less time if he doesn't get his hitting better. After last year's 217, I was hoping he did better over the summer. But apparently he was only 138 in 65 at bats. http://beesball.com/summer2014.html {Thanks to Beesball.com - a great site.}

Wruble was 281 over the summer. And we have a freshman Trevor Craport who I don't know how he hits ........

Catcher defensively is definitely another strong part of our game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Waiting on the pitching summary, here's Baseball America's take on us - we weren't in their top 25.

"Georgia Tech: Starting pitching was a struggle for the Yellow Jackets in 2014, but a stout bullpen led by Sam Clay and Dusty Isaacs often made up for it. The team rallied late to win the ACC tournament and earn a regional bid. Clay and Isaacs are gone, but a healthy return by Jr. RHP Jonathan King and Sr. LHP Devin Stanton should lead to a deeper, stronger rotation. A strong lineup returns key veterans, from Srs. OF Daniel Spignola (.319/.384/.451, 15 SB) and 1B Thomas Smith (.310/.392/.380) to Jr. OF Matt Gonzalez (.314/.358/.416), and So. SS Connor Justus, one of the ACC’s slickest infield defenders."