Article Season Preview: Florida State

gtdrew

Banned
I'll admit, I've gotten to the point where I have no idea what to expect out of Tallahassee on a year to year basis. It's been too much underachieving for surprise hotseat occupant Jimbo Fisher during his time as Bobby Bowden's successor, as multiple top 5 recruiting classes have failed to produce the championship season FSU fans are waiting for. On offense, the loss of EJ Manuel will be more psychological than anything else, as he was often very good, but never the type of great that so many projected when he arrived on campus. His elite-level measureables earned him the "reward" of being a 1st round pick (Buffalo). Jameis Winston showed out during the spring game, and after the transfer of Clint Trickett, the job is his to lose. Unfortunately for him, stability at qb has not been a watermark of the Fisher era at FSU. James Wilder Jr may finally be the bell cow that this coaching staff has waited for. He will probably get 2/3 of the carries, while Devonta Freeman will be his primary backup. They'll also turn to Mario Pender when they want to screen or draw out of the backfield, as he's a Warrick Dunn-level home run threat. At receiver, they've got about 5 guys who are pretty interchangeable. FSU will have a stout offensive line, but need to keep their top five guys on the field, as they have very little depth to speak of.

Defensively, it's the same song, different verse. There are athletes everywhere. On the line, they have four new starters, but every team should be so blessed as to have "four new starters" like this team does. Mario Edwards and Timmy Jernigan will lead a standout unit. Returning starter Christian Jones will anchor the linebacking core, and LaMarcus Joyner will be the one to watch, making the switch from safety to corner. If his level of play doesnt drop, he'll be all ACC again.

Predicted record:12-2
Order of finish (ACC Atlantic): 1st

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno I really expect Clemson to be better than FSU this year. I think Clemson beats them like 35-21

gtdrew

Banned
I dunno I really expect Clemson to be better than FSU this year. I think Clemson beats them like 35-21
That could very well happen. But all Climpsumb has to do is lose one more game than FSU, and would any of us really be that surprised if that happens?

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson would have to lose two at minimum. I'm putting FSU in the same boat as UNC and Miami. Over hyped until they prove it on the field.