Article Season Preview: Duke

gtdrew

Banned
Last season had a textbook ending for the Blue Devils. A last second touchdown against archival UNC put them bowl-eligible for the first time since 1994. Coach David Cutliffe, longtime OC at Tennessee and one of the architects behind the Manning NFL Dynasty, has brought a level of professionalism and self-respect to the Duke program that it has sorely lacked in recent years. Although the Devils finished the season with 5 consecutive losses, Cutcliffe has vowed to "build on" last year's bowl appearance, and the shift from a modified "Air Raid" spread to what Cutcliffe is calling a "balanced zone-read" attack will play more to the strengths of new quarterback Anthony Boone. If there were many Duke fans, they would claim that redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk is a better fit for the offense Cutcliffe will transition to, but injury will keep him from significant action in 2013. Running backs Juwan Thompson and Josh Snead will benefit from increased opportunities in the run game. The loss of the constant, steady play from reciever Connor Vernon will be sorely missed.

Defensively, Jim Knowles has extensive plugging in to do in the back four, and will be looking for dynamic play from his front four. In November, Duke lost four games in which they gave up an average of almost 50 pts. a game, so improvement among this unit is a must if the Devils hope to build on last year. If Senior DE Kenny Aninuke can stay healthy, he will provide some pass rush for a team that sorely needs it. Senior CB Ross Cockrell will provide leadership and steady play, although his numbers may lack big play indication.

Predicted 2013 record: 4-8
Predicted Order of Finish (ACC Coastal): 6th

Predicted Record:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'm very interested to see if Duke can have some sustained success this year. I look forward to playing them.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Breaking in a new QB along with losing their most consistent receiver is going to take some time to adjust. Add to that the questions on D I feel it going to be a tough year for the dookies. They may their moments but more than 5 wins would be a great season for them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As I may have said before, I like the fact that Duke's new offense will be more run oriented while Elon's offense is more pass oriented. We can play Elon and see what works with our pass defense and have a week to get stuff worked out and then play Duke to see what works with our Run D. Hopefully, we'll then be prepared to run on all cylinders for the next several weeks.