Article Season Preview: Climpsumb

gtdrew

Banned
I hate Clemson. There, I said it. And I really don't have a good reason to. They're hospitable when at home, and polite, if loud, guests on the road. I guess it's the time I spent living in Traveler's Rest, SC. Or my insufferable Clemson sidewalk fan of a roommate. Maybe it's the fact that they retired CJ Spiller's jersey without him ever having won anything. In any case, I've never seen a fanbase that lives and dies so much by every word that's printed or spoken about their team than Clemson fans. Maybe it's because there are no professional sports teams in the state. Maybe it's because they share zip codes and sidewalks with South Carolina fans, fans so delusional they make Chicago Cubs fans look rational. Maybe it's because no one celebrates recruiting "stars" like the backwoods bengals. In any case, I hate Clemson. Other than U(sic)GA, there's no game I want to win more on our schedule every year than the one against the Tigers.

And that's a problem. Because this year, they really are loaded. At least offensively, where QB Tajh Boyd returns to guide Chadd Morris's Spread n'Sprint attack on the field. Last year, Boyd was a revelation, and flirted with an early entry into the NFL. But he's back, and WR Sammy Watkins couldn't be happier. After a disappointing sophomore campaign, Watkins has to have the pros on his mind, and a standout campaign in Death Valley this season would certainly help his case. The running back position will certainly want for stability, after the departure of stalwart Andre Ellington, but the "by committee" approach will help the Tigers stem the tide of uncertainty in the backfield. SR Roderick McDowell will start, but JR DJ Howard will see a large portion of snaps as well.

The good news for fans of opposing ACC teams; Clemson lost a LOT on defense, and they weren't all that good before. For all their bluster about recruiting classes, Clemson has yet to find a winning formula on the defensive side of the ball. Clemson fans will ell you they only lost four starters, but several steady rotation pieces also played their last down for Clemson last season. This team is vulnerable, althouth LB's Spencer Shuey and Stephone Anthony look to have big seasons.

Season Outlook: It's tough to say. Although they were an overwhelming favorite at ACC Media Days, Clemson has too long a history of underwhelming performances in key moments to simply pencil in as conference champions. Every year, their die-hards tell tales of some human catalytic converter who will forever change the face of the program, and every year they lay eggs in games they have no business losing. Florida State looms large in their division, and a season-opening tilt with U(sic)GA will tell a large part of Clemson's tale early, but on paper, this is the most talented team in the conference. But, unfortunately for their rabid fan base, the games aren't played on paper.

Record Prediction: 9-3
Order of Finish (ACC Atlantic): 2nd

gtdrew

Banned
I may have mildly overstated their losses personnel wise on defense. But they weren't great last year, and I don't expect them to be much better this year...

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
Drew, I agree but think they won't be as explosive without Nuke and Ellington. I actually think they take a small step backwards this season. Dabos like Donnan, world beater at recruiting but has trouble coaching em up....i don't know, we shall see...