Season Finale vs. Boston College

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The second half was rough but overtime was such a palate cleanser for this season. The energy was incredible in OT, most of the arena standing and screaming. Noise on defense, picking up the guys after made BC baskets. We need that every game all game. Basketball is such a game of runs and momentum and it really makes a difference in our W-L record. The guys were flying around in that extra period.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The team showed some character today. It was really easy to hang their heads after losing the lead but they turned it around.

I really like the guys on this team. It is a hard team to watch at times but I really like the players. Let's make a run in the tournament.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Usher scored a bunch of points today, but I'm not sure GT fans realize how much we're going to lose when Usher moves on. That dude does a LOT of the dirty stuff for us, and he covers so much area defensively. He's rebounding well, and throws in assists. He's been every bit as important as Devoe this year.

I can see a Jalon Moore filling the role of the doing all the intangible things for us that doesn't show up on the box score. Good to see the young guns step up. Kelly today, Coleman on and off the last half of this season. It's their show next season, so these flashes of them contributing will help us build over the next few years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Doesn’t that mean we get in the ACC Big 10 challenge?
Theoretically, but there might be wiggle room based on next year's expected performance. They could drop us off they think we'll be the worse team.

Will be interesting to see if Keatts' seat was too hot, especially with both Millers available.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Theoretically, but there might be wiggle room based on next year's expected performance. They could drop us off they think we'll be the worse team.

Will be interesting to see if Keatts' seat was too hot, especially with both Millers available.
I thought they said he’s coming back

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think we have a punchers chance to win a few games in the ACCT and improve our relative performance higher to lock in an invite to ACC/Big10 Challenge.

Hell, I am drinking OF1920 to celebrate the 2-0 COFH Beesball situation and our closing out the regular season, on senior night, with a Huggable W; I think we might get hot and win the damn thing again and get an auto bid to NCAAT.

It wouldn’t be the most Unpastner thing ever. Just saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Good win...nice to see Parkview's own Miles Kelly (my daughter went to Parkview) show some future for next year's team.

He's played pretty well the back half of our schedule. If my math is right (and I did it quick so it could be off but the idea should be true)

1st 14 games 17 for 51 (33%) from the floor and 5 for 30 (16.7%) from behind the arc.
Last 15 games 24 for 58 (41%) from the floor and 19 for 43(44% from behind the arc.

Obviously the volume isn't as high as say Mike's but it's still nearly 3 three points attempts per game at over 40% clip against primarily ACC competition. He started on such a cold shooting streak that I think people are likely to overlook his potential for next year. Him and Deebo make a really good one two punch of shooters on the outside if we can get a good offensive system going to get them shots.

Anyways, I missed the game today, but glad we got the win. Looks like Ush saved his best performance for last. 30 points on 16 shots, 8 rebs, 5 assists and just 2 TOs. Phenomenal.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to close the season with a win! Let's all hug the win! BC is a team that we could have blown away...but we didn't. Our team still mystifies me--they show signs of being a really good team, and then they have stretches where they just fall apart. Yes, every team has that, but when this team "goes bad," they really have a tough time breaking out of it. Kudos to the team and coaches for pulling this win out. I hope this will propel them to a few wins in the tournament and some hope for next year.

Here are some random thoughts:
-USHER! Talk about going out with a bang. 30 points? 8 rebounds? 5 assists? WOW! He was everywhere and driving to the basket with both authority and control. Makes me wonder what our season would have looked like if he were offensive option #1.
-BC has some decent big men, but Howard kinda disappeared in this one. 2 points and 3 rebounds is not going to cut it. He has been so much better lately about cutting to the rim after he passes it, but it just wasn't there today. Personally, I think we should run more plays to establish him in the post. Or, run the pick and roll with him. He's gotten so much better around the basket. We need those easy ones.
-Mile Kelly might have been the difference in the game. With no Tristen to go off on 3-pointers, we needed somebody else to make up the difference and beat BC. As shown by @lv20gt above, Kelly's shot has gotten much better throughout the year. I loved his aggressiveness on offense and defense. He can slash and he can shoot. He and Deebo and JMoore make a solid core to grow with.
-We have a knack at turning double-digit leads into deficits. :) The bonehead TOs and the lapses in defensive intensity kill us. I don't know how to make it happen, but if we could play with defensive intensity for 40 minutes, we would win A LOT of games. (I guess every team could say that, but our defensive potential even without a rim protector is really high because of our amoeba zones)

So proud of the seniors and all they have given to the program. Thankful they could go out with a win. Go Jackets!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
1st 14 games 17 for 51 (33%) from the floor and 5 for 30 (16.7%) from behind the arc.
Last 15 games 24 for 58 (41%) from the floor and 19 for 43(44% from behind the arc.
I knew Miles had turned from disappointment into a reliable shooter but man is this exciting stuff to visually put into numbers. We won't have much of a core next year for the first time in Pastner's tenure (pending transfer portal) but there's a really high ceiling with some talented shooters and athleticism.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ush,Ush, Ush!! What can you say.The guy is a talented BEAST.When he is hitting, he is as good as ANY player in the conference. Sad to see he and Mike move on.