Searcy and the Austins

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
A thread on another site about these three running together on their track team got me watching some highlight videos. There will be the requisite warning about the level of competition they faced, size, etc., but let me say... these kids are football players. They each remind me of Jemea, which I think we all can agree is not a bad thing! Searcy, especially just makes plays everywhere. Catching passes, picking off passes, blowing up receivers, returning kicks, whatever. The thread I saw mentioned that Searcy might get a look at AB first to see where he could get on the field quickest. Eric, what you know? Can't wait for these guys to get on campus!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
You can coach a lot of things, but speed and size are two that can't be taught. I remember a time in the 80's, when UNC's linebackers could out run anyone on our team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought Searcy was coming in at WR?

I think the Austin twins would be phenomenal ABs...they're just so talented with the ball in their hands, and they're physical as all get out which is important for all the blocking ABs do. I know they're slotted to play DB, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with two short CBs on the field at the same time given the evolution of tall WRs in the modern college game. However, if they turn into Jemea...I'll definitely take that!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought Searcy was coming in at WR?

I think the Austin twins would be phenomenal ABs...they're just so talented with the ball in their hands, and they're physical as all get out which is important for all the blocking ABs do. I know they're slotted to play DB, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with two short CBs on the field at the same time given the evolution of tall WRs in the modern college game. However, if they turn into Jemea...I'll definitely take that!
I wouldn't mind seeing them at Aback, either. It seems a little counter to what you'd expect as well. You'd expect any interchangeable players getting first shot on O considering our coach is also the OC. Maybe this signals a shift in emphasis to defense which would be outstanding, imo. Maybe the twins have such incredible ball skills and instincts on D, it's just a nobrainer. That would be awesome, too.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If you put the twins at AB, that would make too many RB's. We've already got Leggett, Autry, and Lynch slated for that spot (Leggett could be BB, but is said to be coming in first as AB). Those 3 would probably not be able to play DB, so I think we need to keep the twins at DB and Searcy at DB or WR depending on what Jalen Johnson does.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If you put the twins at AB, that would make too many RB's. We've already got Leggett, Autry, and Lynch slated for that spot (Leggett could be BB, but is said to be coming in first as AB). Those 3 would probably not be able to play DB, so I think we need to keep the twins at DB and Searcy at DB or WR depending on what Jalen Johnson does.

In the twins third year (probably RSSO) there will likely only be L Griffin and S Durham at CB ahead of them. Z Allen and T Teknipp may be in the mix but most likely the twins will be needed at CB.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
As long as they can run, tackle, and give the WR a good knock coming off the line, you let the safeties worry about being tall.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jemea started out as an AB then moved over. The opposite can happen here. Deon Hill, Zenon, Days, and Bostic are all scheduled to be gone in the next 2 years so that's 4 slots. M. Autry, Leggett, and Lynch were signed to AB for this class, so it's not like there aren't slots there for the twins.

In the end, it all depends if they develop to play DB at this level. Worst case scenario, they move over to AB because they have the ability to do so. I'm a big believer in if a kid is equally talented on both sides of the ball, you put him on defense unless he's a QB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To pick-up from @Techster,
At A-Back (Scholarship only, iiuc)
Perkins, Days, Zenon, Bostic, and Hill are all RS Srs this year. Snoddy is a RS Jr, Dennis Andrews is RS So and Donovan Wilson is a RS Fr. True Freshmen at A-Back for this year, iiuc, are Leggitt, Autry and maybe Lynch (listed as WR/RB). So, while we lose 4, we'll have 6 returning for the 2 slots on the field.

At DB (scholarship only, iiuc)
I Johnson is a RS Sr.; DJ White, Chris Milton; Demond Smith; Dominique Noble; and Jamal Golden are Jrs or RS Jrs (though JG will get an extra year); Lynn Griffin is a RS So; Corey Griffin and John Marvin are a RS Fr; and Durham, Searcy, 2 Austins are tr Fr. So, while we are losing only 1 after this year (or did IJ also get another year?), we are returning only 12 or 13 next year for 5 slots, and we'll lose 4 or 5 of them after 2015.

So, while it's possible that they could play A-Back, I think the need to develop depth at DB is the bigger need, especially since we're looking to have 5 of them on the field at the same time on a regular basis.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Techster on the importance of putting your most talented guys on D. Obviously it could shake out completely different when they show up in the fall, but I wouldn't mind Searcy and at least on Austin staying at DB (Qua looks like a BEAST on D in his video) and the Johnson kid going to WR. The Lynch kid looks more like a WR to me than an AB.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
To pick-up from @Techster,
At A-Back (Scholarship only, iiuc)
Perkins, Days, Zenon, Bostic, and Hill are all RS Srs this year. Snoddy is a RS Jr, Dennis Andrews is RS So and Donovan Wilson is a RS Fr. True Freshmen at A-Back for this year, iiuc, are Leggitt, Autry and maybe Lynch (listed as WR/RB). So, while we lose 4, we'll have 6 returning for the 2 slots on the field.

At DB (scholarship only, iiuc)
I Johnson is a RS Sr.; DJ White, Chris Milton; Demond Smith; Dominique Noble; and Jamal Golden are Jrs or RS Jrs (though JG will get an extra year); Lynn Griffin is a RS So; Corey Griffin and John Marvin are a RS Fr; and Durham, Searcy, 2 Austins are tr Fr. So, while we are losing only 1 after this year (or did IJ also get another year?), we are returning only 12 or 13 next year for 5 slots, and we'll lose 4 or 5 of them after 2015.

So, while it's possible that they could play A-Back, I think the need to develop depth at DB is the bigger need, especially since we're looking to have 5 of them on the field at the same time on a regular basis.
Plus, usually AB is kind of a catch-all position for QB's and BB's who end up not seeing the field at those positions, so there will likely be numbers added to the AB list from those positions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Plus, usually AB is kind of a catch-all position for QB's and BB's who end up not seeing the field at those positions, so there will likely be numbers added to the AB list from those positions.

That's right. I actually think Ty Griffin is going to be moving to A-Back and will ultimately have better numbers in our offense than his brother has at Oregon.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Searcy plays Safety. Since we don't utilize our talent at receiver that much unless it's a Demaryius Thomas/Stephen Hill type I hope we play him at safety so he can have a big impact.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That's right. I actually think Ty Griffin is going to be moving to A-Back and will ultimately have better numbers in our offense than his brother has at Oregon.

I doubt that from what I'm reading about Ty ..

I would rather see Searcy as a Safety as well. Jonathon Johnson and him would make for 2 big safeties with the twins being corners.

BTW Donavon Wilson is a Bback now.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree that as a general rule you put your more talented players on D...........BUT Tony Hollings is a good example of how moving from D to O can be a very good thing.....some are just better with a ball in their hands and evading contact and some are better at hitting the crap out of people and have brick hands....

Sounds like all three have the 'option' of playing on either side, a good problem to have.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have heard they want to get Searcy on the field as soon as they can so I wouldn't say A back is out of the question.

Although if he ends up at A back I won't be too happy...I want him at S.

Same here, E.

I read last year in AJC that had he gone to a bigger school with more media coverage and attended more camps he would have been rated one of the top DBs in the state with bigger schools. Glad he didn't.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Same here, E.

I read last year in AJC that had he gone to a bigger school with more media coverage and attended more camps he would have been rated one of the top DBs in the state with bigger schools. Glad he didn't.

CAM basically said the same on NSD...said if this kid had went to camps and all that he would have been a 5* guy. Which shows how the staff really likes him.