Scrimmage notes 4/5

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would anyone wish Custis would beat out Laskey, or that Laskey would beat out Custis. To me, this does not compute. I want the one who does the best to beat out the other. If Laskey is best for the team at this time, I want him to be the starter. If Custis proves to be better, then I want Custis to be the starter. Bias should have no part in the decision, only the effectiveness of the player.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why would anyone wish Custis would beat out Laskey, or that Laskey would beat out Custis. To me, this does not compute. I want the one who does the best to beat out the other. If Laskey is best for the team at this time, I want him to be the starter. If Custis proves to be better, then I want Custis to be the starter. Bias should have no part in the decision, only the effectiveness of the player.

Hey, you said something I agree with...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Gotta love that broken tackle in the secondary and TD! Seems like we haven't had that since Dwyer.

Makes you worry about Golden though doesn't it. The catch-22 of scrimmages for fans.
I caution anyone to draw meaningful conclusions from one run, one play. Who knows what would happen on 10, 20, 30 such matchups? Maybe Golden makes the tackle 80% of the time. When two good players square off, something's got to give. Both guys can't win. Greg Maddox gave up plenty of homers in his day. Imagine drawing a conclusion based on one of them.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Longestday: I agree with you on both items. A back should never slow down, he should always have the burner going full speed. Also, I hate it when I see a back run for the sideline instead of turning on the burner and trying to cut inside. If I saw a back slowing down, I would sit him on the bench until he learns to keep it at full speed. I would also bench a back that ran out of bounds instead of cutting it inside. Cutting it inside may get us a few more yards that would have been needed on the next play to get us another first down. Actually, a player cutting it inside often surprises the tackler who has a bead on him. He sometimes cuts inside and flies by the tackler also knocking an off -balanced tackler to the ground.
I don't think you can really say that a runner should always do any one single thing. Cutting back isn't always better. Sometimes all that will do is run you into the pursuit. Sometimes getting the most yards means taking it down the sideline. Sometimes, slowing down is good to set up a block. We all know good running instincts when we see them. The trick is doing the right thing at the right time based on what is happening in a given play, and getting your body in position to do it. There are no absolutes. If what you mean is to be decisive instead of hesitant, then I agree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
100% agree with Boomergump. As a runner, you have to be patient enough to allow your blocks to set up and decisive enough to hit the hole when it opens up or turn the corner when it's there. Tashard Choice was often complemented on being patient enough to allow the line blocks the form and then reaching top speed in two steps the get through the hole when it opened up.

Being a running back is about vision as much as it is power and speed (but I'm pretty sure everyone reading this already knows that).

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree with Boomergump. As a runner, you have to be patient enough to allow your blocks to set up and decisive enough to hit the hole when it opens up or turn the corner when it's there. Tashard Choice was often complemented on being patient enough to allow the line blocks the form and then reaching top speed in two steps the get through the hole when it opened up.

Being a running back is about vision as much as it is power and speed (but I'm pretty sure everyone reading this already knows that).
To add to your argument, why has snoddy not been the next JD.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow

I understand what you mean, but we, for the most part, know what we have with Laskey. If Custis can beat him out as a Freshman, that'd be huge.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand what you mean, but we, for the most part, know what we have with Laskey. If Custis can beat him out as a Freshman, that'd be huge.

Custis will not beat Laskey this year for the starting spot. He is in a battle with Connors for the #2 job at this time. Custis will play some but its really unfair to even expect him to beat out a veteran like Laskey.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Custis will not beat Laskey this year for the starting spot. He is in a battle with Connors for the #2 job at this time. Custis will play some but its really unfair to even expect him to beat out a veteran like Laskey.
Why, if he's a more talented player and give us the best chance to win I don't see why he couldn't potentially start.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Why would anyone wish Custis would beat out Laskey, or that Laskey would beat out Custis. To me, this does not compute.

Bout time somebody pointed this out.

Go back to when we had Calvin. What if some freshman beat him out in spring practice. Wouldn't that mean we have two Calvins? How, exactly, would that have sucked?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
- CPJ not happy

- Offense wasn't good

- All around bad performances today from the offense

- Defense clear winner of the practice

- Gotsis had a good showing today.

- Autry, Jeune, Days, Perkins, Gamble were a few that were out today.

- Laskey has a good grip on the starting job still.

- Custis starting to catch on.

- Was told that Durham still has a lot to learn but that you can see the potential.
Is it usual to have so many players out for a scrimmage? If these guys are not participating due to injuries, is this considered just part of the process of getting back into practice mode or does it mean we are looking at possible on-going health issues?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why, if he's a more talented player and give us the best chance to win I don't see why he couldn't potentially start.
Personally, I don't really care about who, in particular, wins the BB job (or any job for that matter). I will say this though. Young guys beating out old guys is a good sign for the program. If we see a bunch of newcomers on the field, we should all be happy. Most of us have all wanted to see the bar raised. That is one of the major ways it happens.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I don't really care about who, in particular, wins the BB job (or any job for that matter). I will say this though. Young guys beating out old guys is a good sign for the program. If we see a bunch of newcomers on the field, we should all be happy. Most of us have all wanted to see the bar raised. That is one of the major ways it happens.
Exactly--if we can replace an very average performer with a better guy -fine
but if a good player is pushed then- GREAT ,that is how you have fine teams