Scrimmage notes 4/5

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yep. "The defense is ahead of the offense." Also known as the biggest cliche in football spring practice history. Also usually true, especially in our O. It isn't for nothing that they always said up at Navy that the O starts rolling when the leaves begin to change. It'll take awhile, especially with a brand new QB and middle of the OL.

Patience, everybody.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are two pictures that look like the ABs (Bostic and Andrews) are slowing down on the corner with an incoming hit. This never seems works out.

Godhigh did cut back inside a lot but was able to maintain speed through the decision process.

I think ABs either need to run for the sideline and the corner at full speed or do Godhigh's partial speed and cut back inside at full speed.

Of course it is really hard to know what is happing from pictures. You can see them slamming on breaks though. Push the gas peddle and see what happens.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Custis simply doesn't look like a Freshman physically.

He looks like a starter. {:trolling}

But then again, I said the same thing about Daniel Drummond. Custis really got a phantom RS by not being able to play last year due to his school losing accreditation. I still hope we burn his RS this year since it will mean he is the best we have and Laskey is pretty good.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Custis looks huge, I hope Laskey plays well and custis beats him out. That would be fantastic. We need a guy that defenses have to plan for at BB. That opens up everything else.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Gotta love that broken tackle in the secondary and TD! Seems like we haven't had that since Dwyer.

Makes you worry about Golden though doesn't it. The catch-22 of scrimmages for fans.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My kingdom, my kingdom for a horse! The las key custis combo could open up recruiting to a new category of athletes.
A fresh BB the whole game - 10, 15 yd gashed by laskey then add a couple of 30 yd runs by custis. At least we can dream..

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Longestday: I agree with you on both items. A back should never slow down, he should always have the burner going full speed. Also, I hate it when I see a back run for the sideline instead of turning on the burner and trying to cut inside. If I saw a back slowing down, I would sit him on the bench until he learns to keep it at full speed. I would also bench a back that ran out of bounds instead of cutting it inside. Cutting it inside may get us a few more yards that would have been needed on the next play to get us another first down. Actually, a player cutting it inside often surprises the tackler who has a bead on him. He sometimes cuts inside and flies by the tackler also knocking an off -balanced tackler to the ground.