Scrimmage 8/16

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Aaaannndddd we're analyzing one pic to make a determination about ball security, "extra swing," and its effects on speed....

Come on game one.

(No offense. I analyzed it, too.)
Didn't we all. As well as comparing dozens of mental notes on various running backs we have watched over the years trying to parse out every little arm angle, grip, finger placement etc., etc.

We are all like addicts scraping the floor, counter tops and the bottom of the oatmeal container for any last residue of our drug until our big shipment comes in on August 30.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
33, what about that one guy that is a complete surprise! One that could make a difference? Just a question as I have agreed with your statements for longer than this board!

well, i am not sure what you mean here. So last year godhigh was a surprise...7 wins. Year before Orwin did well. 7 wins or 8 (can't remember off the top). Last year smelter played solid, not prolific like Bebe, solid...7 wins.

I guess my point is we have surprise but they aren't sammy watkins. So its relative. The starting talent on this team is good enough for 9 wins. Last year...it was not. But the problem is DL depth. OL depth at spots...if we don't think we are thin at tackle we are not looking. Thin at BB bigtime, lets face it if laskey goes down connors is not good enough to carry the team and the other guy may be some day but still is a freshman.

Point being....lets say gotsis goes down for the year. So does Griffin at OT. And then Green is out for half the season. and Laskey misses 4 straight games....this is all really possible and really we won't recover...

All I am saying is I have yet to see a GT team go through a season unscathed since maybe 2008...or 09...and so key injuries will happen....that is why i feel like 7 or 8 again this year. I hope I am wrong.

Now if a guy goes down for a game or 2...thats fine...not talking about that..I am talking about significant injury impact

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
well, i am not sure what you mean here. So last year godhigh was a surprise...7 wins. Year before Orwin did well. 7 wins or 8 (can't remember off the top). Last year smelter played solid, not prolific like Bebe, solid...7 wins.

I guess my point is we have surprise but they aren't sammy watkins. So its relative. The starting talent on this team is good enough for 9 wins. Last year...it was not. But the problem is DL depth. OL depth at spots...if we don't think we are thin at tackle we are not looking. Thin at BB bigtime, lets face it if laskey goes down connors is not good enough to carry the team and the other guy may be some day but still is a freshman.

Point being....lets say gotsis goes down for the year. So does Griffin at OT. And then Green is out for half the season. and Laskey misses 4 straight games....this is all really possible and really we won't recover...

All I am saying is I have yet to see a GT team go through a season unscathed since maybe 2008...or 09...and so key injuries will happen....that is why i feel like 7 or 8 again this year. I hope I am wrong.

Now if a guy goes down for a game or 2...thats fine...not talking about that..I am talking about significant injury impact
Agree with what you're saying. But, I think we had the starting talent to win 9 or more last year too. At least 3 games we could've won with just the smallest difference in one or two plays - those differences weren't talent induced/related. (Thinking about VT, Ugag, OM)

Most of the time for the Jackets, it comes down to a play or two or a big mistake being the difference between a mediocre year and a big year ... and usually luck is heavily involved. It's been that way for about 15 years now (about the time we started our bowl streak, and about the time I became a GT man), and I imagine it will be the same this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I can't think of a team in recent memory where we did have enough depth to absorb season ending/halving injuries to our key starters. Even in '09, if we had lost Nesbitt, Thomas, Dwyer, any of the NFL'ers, we'd have had a tough time winning the same number of games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

This makes me want to find my rabbit's foot, pull a four leaf clover out of the yard, bury a dead possum at night under a full moon . . . or just hide under my covers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with what you're saying. But, I think we had the starting talent to win 9 or more last year too. At least 3 games we could've won with just the smallest difference in one or two plays - those differences weren't talent induced/related. (Thinking about VT, Ugag, OM)

Most of the time for the Jackets, it comes down to a play or two or a big mistake being the difference between a mediocre year and a big year ... and usually luck is heavily involved. It's been that way for about 15 years now (about the time we started our bowl streak, and about the time I became a GT man), and I imagine it will be the same this year.
Thats fair i just prescribe to you are what your record says. Could lost pitt unc just as easily too!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I can't think of a team in recent memory where we did have enough depth to absorb season ending/halving injuries to our key starters. Even in '09, if we had lost Nesbitt, Thomas, Dwyer, any of the NFL'ers, we'd have had a tough time winning the same number of games.
This is the biggest reason UG has the advantage in November. They are better equipped to absorb the injuries than Tech.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see a VT undefeated when we face them. Will make our win over them that much more impressive. ACC needs to do well out of conference to assure our champ a place in playoff.
Not me. If they are good enough to beat #5 tOSU, then they're gonna be really tough to beat. Strength of schedule only matters if you beat them.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Braxton Miller reminds me alot of Logan Thomas. He does alot more once the play breaks down, than when its developing. The QB whom takes over for BM may actually be more adept at getting the ball to his playmakers.
The kid behind him can ball but he’s just a RS FR. Very similar type of player to Braxton though just not as fast.