Scrimmage 8/16

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
So is it safe to say that Leggett is almost for certain a lock to not redshirt and will play?
I would guess if Days continues to cross train and play well at b back then then as long as there aren't any injuries at the position then he would redshirt.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Leggett needs to get some PT this year so he will have some experience going into next year. I think it is safe to say that Laskey, like CPJ has stated earlier will have a a big year. I like the chemistry of the team this year. I'm glad to see the O line have a good day also. The AB's and WR's stepped up too. IMO our biggest ? this year will be the defense. Hopefully we come out and dominate our first three opponents and build confidence and momentum going into the VT game. It's almost time!

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel optimistic that we'll be productive offensively. We'll score a lot of points and I really like JT in this offense. We need someone at AB to step up because I think teams will force the pitch with JT.

Unfortunately, I'm definitely nervous about the D. We've lost at least 4 guys on the DL that were probably gonna get some PT. Depth is gonna be an issue there and if we have a guy or two go down, were screwed. I could see us not being able to stop teams late in games.

Hopefully our first unit will be good enough to make stops early against the Miami's, Unc's and Clemson's and our offense gets off to a fast start. Hopefully no blowing double digit leads this year.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to grind out several long scoring drives that end with a TD. Also, need to keep our "D" off the field as much as possible.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I am comfortable with players and depth at LB, S, and CB for the most part. The worry is DL, DL and DL. At DT we have like 1 and 1/2 players depth. At DE we have about no depth and a sort of question mark at starters. We somehow have to stay very healthy on the DL or we may have to get very creative with players there.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest area of concern is the D line also...but only bc of depth. We have some players but need to rotate guys in/out to stay fresh. I'm not sold on Golden at S only b/c he was such a poor tackler and he was a QB in HS. IMO D.Smith is the better more physical kind of guy we need in the secondary and wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at all this year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It has been a long time since I have read such a glowing optimistic report on a scrimmage. I believe this bodes well for the season. Of course injuries could play havoc with the way things goes. But at the same time someone we were not counting on could step up and be something very special!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Does not surprise me at all. He was my favorite running back to commit to Tech even when some other guy who is no longer with the program was getting all the attention. I have always really, really liked this guy's film.

months ago I was on the bandwagon he would win the #2 spot (since custis was gone)....feeling good about that if he stays healthy by years end he may have! Oh, and has to hold on to the ball.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Golden is a good ball hawk on defense with several interceptions. He would be deadly as an Aback.

I've always wondered how well Golden would have fared at QB in an offense seemingly made for his skillset. People tend to forget he was Alabama's player of the year and Gatorade POY for the state his senior year playing QB (he played in the same region as Justin Thomas for those that don't know). He put up some nasty numbers. We all know how gifted he is with the ball in his hands. That's the thing with Golden, he's so athletically gifted he would be such a good player at so many positions on both sides of the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
i am going to stick by this. This team can win 9. I still feel as though over a long season....depth can catch up and cost a game or 2. I hope to hell that isn't the case...but this is a 9 win team in pure ability, starting 22. Then the rest of the things that can happen may or may not happen to affect that.
So you're saying with zero injuries our ceiling is 9 wins? I don't think there's a team on our schedule that's an auto L supposing we are at full strength.