Scrimmage 8/16

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he's quite as fast (yet) as AP was. One difference from PJ is that he usually isn't looking to run people over. You could tell that PJ really enjoyed that. One reason he is still one of my favorite Tech RBs.

If you're talking about GSU AP, he wasn't that fast.

I do love the PJ comparison, too. What a stud.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Leggett in the playoffs, he looked better than Custis did the previous season. Wish we could have both to compare them against the same competition.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Great recap of today. JT really did look smooth, and loved seeing Waller get up and the catch the ball at 2:18. Something we all hope to see him do more of this year! All the Abacks looked pretty good. IMO we may not have one person step up this year ala Godhigh or Orwin, but I think we have a good group. If someone does step up, Im looking for Perkins and Zenon!

Hard to tell from field level but:
1. Looks like Smelter picked up a step during the offseason leaving a gaggle of defenders in his wake. (Awesome!)
2. Snoddy showed some explosion off his first two steps that was missing in the past. (Awesome!)
3. JT and that fake pitch he showed is going to make a lot of defenders look foolish this season because you can not take any false steps defending his quickness and speed. (Awesome!) Oh, and very good to see JT make it all the way through a full contact scrimmage and not get hurt. (Awesome!)
4. Perkins also looked quicker and faster (Awesome!)
5. Saw lots of guys running through some pretty big holes on the outside, which means our perimeter blocking has improved since last season. (Awesome!)
6. TD catches from a variety of different positions. (Awesome!)
7. Didn't see too many defensive highlights so it's kind of hard to be too happy since we're playing against ourselves.
8. Good to see MJ get a lot of snaps, but it's tempered by Byerly sitting out for precautionary reason.
9. Great seeing Deon Hill back making plays after his health scare last season. Has shown flashes of being a really good player at times in the past.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Man... I think we are going to do some things this year. I had a feeling we would make strides in the preseason. JT is the Xfactor to us having a great season. His speed is just light years ahead of Vads. From all reports and videos ive had the chance to see... We are going to be alot more complete/balanced as a team this season. Im ready to see it in person @ the Wofford game. I know its not going to show us very much, but I can compare to last years game against Elon and see if we look crisper.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Now that I think of it this is the first time I can remember CPJ not saying "some good, some bad"

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Watched the scrimmage: will not (hopefully) speak of any individual athlete. My observations-
Defense- D line was much bigger and more athletic then I was expecting after reading several different boards. Line backers (swarm) and pursue but snuffed out several counters and reverses. D backs are athletic will come up and hit - but, are short, ( when we have a basketball forward at receiver)
O-line, great push, stay a tad lower, that will come. On pass protection we may need to gate, when the qb drops back there is to much attack with the line and helmets hitting the
D instead of sitting in a protective mode.
Qb's finally used the size of our Basketball player. He boxed out and used his height to his advantage and made it all look easy.
A walk-on Q.b. came in and threw some goodballs, tucked it when needed and
Got some positive yards.
One thing I noticed, with qb,s on a negative- (sorry). Some of the pitch outs were to "floaty to me". If David Pollack was at D end it would be pick 6,
And, on pass plays we look at primary,
If he is covered we have no time to hit second or even the check down,
Sorry for the negative at the end: D knows what's coming- hope that's a positve.
Give an option s couple more weeks and it will roll. D looks good to me.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I love how good JT throws on the run, could really open some things up especially how effective he can be with his legs. It can make his reads alot easier, causing less TOs. If a guys covers the receiver in the flat he can pull it and make some plays. Or if tgey bite and come up to stop him he has that quick release to get it to the receiver.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watched the scrimmage: will not (hopefully) speak of any individual athlete. My observations-
Defense- D line was much bigger and more athletic then I was expecting after reading several different boards. Line backers (swarm) and pursue but snuffed out several counters and reverses. D backs are athletic will come up and hit - but, are short, ( when we have a basketball forward at receiver)
O-line, great push, stay a tad lower, that will come. On pass protection we may need to gate, when the qb drops back there is to much attack with the line and helmets hitting the
Qb's finally used the size of our Basketball player. He boxed out and used his height to his advantage and made it all look easy.
Got some positive yards.
One thing I noticed, with qb,s on a negative- (sorry). Some of the pitch outs were to "floaty to me". If David Pollack was at D end it would be pick 6,
Sorry for the negative at the end: D knows what's coming- hope that's a positve.
Thanks.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Got some positive yards.

Interesting how fear and reality differ.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thanks to all.
@FatPat much rather get an honest gut feel comment even if there are some negative thoughts instead of just all sugary fluff.
I think that from what little I've seen and all that's been read, we should look more competent in our this year. ( hope that holds true)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Every time I hear good things about various positions on the team I start to look for the weak link. I do this because otherwise we would be talking an undefeated season and we all know that is not likely. So as of the end of camp I would have to say the weakest link on the team appears to be the defensive line. That is not a put down or a negative barb. It is just that in relative terms the area of that appears most vulnerable to me at the moment is the DL. But I am feeling cautiously optimistic about the team this year and very excited to see what happens when the real competition begins.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Awbuzz, got it. No more fluff. Sorry- I still will not comment on an individual kid! Team is pumped, very uptempo, I for one am excited. Passes need to be roll out with the o-line gating, D up front Is awsome - d backs need to bump receivers more at the line and not let them clear especially if they are smaller or much shorter, Is that enough No Fluff? We will be fine on Saturdays.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The original AP ran in the low to mid 4.5s. But as the game went on, he didn't slow down. He just wore people out. I think those 2 UMass LBs he knocked into la-la land on the same play may still be out on Glenn Bryant Field/Paulson Stadium

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Every time I hear good things about various positions on the team I start to look for the weak link. I do this because otherwise we would be talking an undefeated season and we all know that is not likely. So as of the end of camp I would have to say the weakest link on the team appears to be the defensive line. That is not a put down or a negative barb. It is just that in relative terms the area of that appears most vulnerable to me at the moment is the DL. But I am feeling cautiously optimistic about the team this year and very excited to see what happens when the real competition begins.

Like a lot of others have said, I think depth is what could really hurt us here. Especially down the stretch as guys get banged up.