Scrimmage 8/16

Matt E

GT Athlete
Is Leggett staying exclusively at B Back? Considering Days is getting snaps there it would seem he would have more opportunity at A Back if he is talented enough to play as a freshman.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We need Leggett at B back for next year...need all the experience he can get this year. We have good depth at A back.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Is Leggett staying exclusively at B Back? Considering Days is getting snaps there it would seem he would have more opportunity at A Back if he is talented enough to play as a freshman.

Days, Hill, Bostic, Zenon, Andrews, Perkins. He has a better shot at b back.

Laskey mentioned BJ sprung him for the TD catch. RR mentions he opened the way for Deon's big run too. Sounds like he had a good day blocking. Good to hear

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Was able to attend this morning. The ramblinwreck.com summary is thorough. My only additional observation is that the offense, especially the option, seems to be clicking pretty well. It felt like slow motion at times in recent years, but looked very crisp today. Certainly looks says a lot when the ball stays off the ground. Lots of good energy and emotion on field and sidelines. I think this team is embracing underdog role.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
17 play drive, lovin' it. Sounds like back to basics ain't just a catch phrase. I don't know about you guys, but 17 play drives are a thing of beauty and so demoralizing to the opposing defense. It also tires them out while keeping our D fresh.

Especially this year with our depth issues on D, this is how we are going to win games this year. How are we going to stop Gurley and Johnson? By keeping them off the field.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Byerly sat out today, stood behind offensive huddle the entire scrimmage. Matthew Jordan got a good number of snaps. Made some good and bad plays, about what you'd expect from a true freshman, definitely has some ability running the ball.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Don't want to share too much, since this was obviously closed for a reason, but left feeling encouraged and optimistic given that there are still two weeks before the season opener. CPJ has done a nice job this preseason of getting this team ready.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck

Great recap of today. JT really did look smooth, and loved seeing Waller get up and the catch the ball at 2:18. Something we all hope to see him do more of this year! All the Abacks looked pretty good. IMO we may not have one person step up this year ala Godhigh or Orwin, but I think we have a good group. If someone does step up, Im looking for Perkins and Zenon!

Declinometer

Banned
@Boomergump went to last weeks scrimmage and said he had trouble following the ball. That means to me that it is much improved... And that was a week ago.
Does not surprise me at all. He was my favorite running back to commit to Tech even when some other guy who is no longer with the program was getting all the attention. I have always really, really liked this guy's film.

AP clone

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not to derail the scrimmage thread into a Leggett thread, but as I've said before, watching him in the state playoffs I thought he was the best RB I had seen. And yes, he does run a little like "the real" AP. Not a burner, but he just runs "mean."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see him in the film and I wasn't there, but from his HS films he reminded me more of PJ then anyone else. I don't think he's quite as fast (yet) as AP was. One difference from PJ is that he usually isn't looking to run people over. You could tell that PJ really enjoyed that. One reason he is still one of my favorite Tech RBs.