Scrimmage 8/16

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like a lot of good things are going on today. It's getting about that time when the O should be clicking and I love hearing the D is getting stops. Let's hope both sides of the ball are rounding into top form!

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
It sounds like offense is doing great with JT, Laskey and Shaq back. As always our starters are great, just need to keep them healthy and not winded...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
@MikeDeGeorge: Smelter scores on a loooong TD run (70yds) and Waller goes up to grab 14yd TD pass.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Flip side is this. If the defense were stuffing the offense in scrimmage we would all be complaining about CPJ's offense not getting it done. So it goes when playing against your own team.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am glad the offense produced no TOs. Especially since my greatest concern about JT has surrounded that very proclivity. Still, just like in all scrimmages, you get disappointed in the defense (not creating TOs) when the offense does well.

If forced to choose, I would rather have this result than our defense forcing 12 TOs with their stellar swarming effort. We lost the TO battle last year and that stat badly needs to change. We need to force more on defense, but even more so, in my mind, we need to eliminate the needless ones on offense due to poor execution. It is hard to get upset when your ball carrier coughs up the ball after a sprinting defender puts a well timed helmet right on the football, but that typically is not what happened last year. Most of our TOs on O were of the sloppy variety or the result of bad choices.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I was not at the scrimmage, just getting updates from various sources, but I don't think the ball was out on JT's series. MJ may have had one/two come out that he got back.

I also understand there may be some bad news regarding injuries.. More to come when I can confirm.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My feeling is zero turnovers is a very good thing. Sometimes TOs are a result of effort, sometimes sloppy play and sometimes just plain bad luck. Crisp, good ball handling is such a key to this offense so to go 110 plays without a TO is a unusual. I understand we want the D to cause TOs but if the O can run this number of plays without a TO it shows the O is clicking, the QBs are making the rights reads, executing mesh/pitches correctly, proper ball security by the A and B backs and the O line is working as a unit.

We know the D is a work in progress and, from what Mike DeGeorge was posting, they had their time today as well.

It's going to be interesting to see what the coaches say today.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hope any injuries are minor...I'd rather not know about POSSIBLE injuries with more info to come....just give me the bad news when it's in.