Scrimmage #2

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Aug. 16, 2015

By Matt Winkeljohn | The Good Word
Georgia Tech’s football team took its first day off since beginning camp two weeks earlier, and Sunday came at a doubly good time.

Players had the freedom to move out of the midtown hotel where they’ve been staying, and into dorms, apartments and houses. And everybody had reason to feel better because Saturday’s scrimmage, the second of the month, was finally enough to prompt head coach Paul Johnson to rise out of his often-dour mood.

The offense, which is incorporating well over half a dozen running backs and wide receivers into new roles, scored touchdowns on its first three possessions – a decided improvement over many previous practice and scrimmage results.

Graduate transfer Patrick Skov stood out at B-back, chiefly alternating with freshman Marcus Marshall as Johnson said Marcus Allen, “got dinged a little bit.”

Skov rushed eight times for 86 yards and two touchdowns, and caught a 24-yard pass from backup quarterback Tim Byerly.

“Patrick Skov really played well. Marcus Marshall was with the [starters]. He and Patrick rotated,” Johnson said. “It was [Skov’s] best performance to date. It was good to see Patrick be physical. He’s still got a lot to learn.

“The first team offense was pretty good. The defense got a little better as the scrimmage went on.”

Starting quarterback Justin Thomas guided the offense on the first and third possessions, and he said camp closed with signs of progress among backs and receivers in a scrimmage that was closed to the public and media.

“We started off well. I like what I’ve seen throughout the whole camp so far,” Thomas reported. “We were executing and staying consistent; not getting behind the chains. The blocking, especially on the perimeter, [is improving].”

Senior defensive tackle Adam Gotsis saw what the offense did, and did not like it so much. The defense rallied through the scrimmage, as senior safety Jamal Golden intercepted a Byerly pass and Step Durhamrecovered a fumbled pitch.

“It’s about how you handle adversity,” Gotsis said. “We were a bit rattled at the start because we went from pretty much dominating [the offense] in camp so far and they scored on their first three drives. It was pretty good to see how the guys responded to that.”

There was good news at the still-open right guard spot vacated by Shaq Mason.

“Shamire Devine did much better,” Johnson said. “He got some really nice blocks the first two or three drives . . . some nice drives.”

Linebacker Paul Davis was busy, as usual, and Gotsis noted the progress of freshmen defensive linemen Anree Saint-Amour and Brentavious Glanton – not that he plans to spend much time being spelled.

“We found out who’s really about playing, and we had some movement in the depth chart,” the big fella said. “I think we’ve got a pretty good team, good chemistry, and we’ve got a lot of work to do . . . I’m not looking to rest during games. I’m looking to be out there the whole time.”

Practice will take on a new tenor Monday, the first day of classes. The season opener will be two weeks from Thursday night, Sept. 3 against Alcorn State.

“We’ll set the depth chart,” Johnson said. “I think we got some things done [in camp]. You’re never where you’d like to be.”

spacer.gif

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

From my (limited) perspective "we got some things done" :
The BB rotation seems to be decided among Allen, Skov, and M Marshall.
The now and future QB seems to be settled: Thomas, Byerly, Martensen, and Campbell.
ABs Snoddy, Searcy, Willis, and Lynch grown to include L-Davis and Jordan.
Devine likely moving into RG but CPJ has hedged his bet with several practiced options.
WRs seem to be not as big of a concern as once thought with seemingly Stewart joining a solid group of returners who seem to be doing OK.
Perimeter blocking still a big concern but some recent signs of improvement.
OL came through Camp without injuries and initially struggling, but finally started to show their stuff..
D has lots of depth and experience with little performance drop-off in the back seven; D may have gotten ahead of schedule in getting season ready.
Coaches know enough about performance to build an initial depth chart and likely some of the RS decisions are made.

I am sure there were many other things "that got done" to be added to this list.

Best news is not a mark on Thomas and lots of hard work was accomplished with hopefully the only serious injury to Cottrell. Wishing him the best.

Declinometer

Banned
At the risk of setting off another thread that never ends, I'll say that it looks like the freshman on O who is most likely to play right now is - wait for it - Brad Stewart. We'll see soon enough, but it is beginning to look like we have a major steal in this young man. For which, of course, three cheers.

"Simma down na !!!"

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
At the risk of setting off another thread that never ends, I'll say that it looks like the freshman on O who is most likely to play right now is - wait for it - Brad Stewart. We'll see soon enough, but it is beginning to look like we have a major steal in this young man. For which, of course, three cheers.

Well considering Marshall is said to be rotating with Skov as first string B back Id say he is most likely. Also sounds like Philpott has been hurt and will be returning on Monday so I'm curious to see if we hear about him in the coming weeks

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
From my (limited) perspective "we got some things done" :
The BB rotation seems to be decided among Allen, Skov, and M Marshall.
The now and future QB seems to be settled: Thomas, Byerly, Martensen, and Campbell.
ABs Snoddy, Searcy, Willis, and Lynch grown to include L-Davis and Jordan.
Devine likely moving into RG but CPJ has hedged his bet with several practiced options.
WRs seem to be not as big of a concern as once thought with seemingly Stewart joining a solid group of returners who seem to be doing OK.
Perimeter blocking still a big concern but some recent signs of improvement.
OL came through Camp without injuries and initially struggling, but finally started to show their stuff..
D has lots of depth and experience with little performance drop-off in the back seven; D may have gotten ahead of schedule in getting season ready.
Coaches know enough about performance to build an initial depth chart and likely some of the RS decisions are made.

I am sure there were many other things "that got done" to be added to this list.

Best news is not a mark on Thomas and lots of hard work was accomplished with hopefully the only serious injury to Cottrell. Wishing him the best.
Matthew Jordan is not out of the post Thomas QB race by any means.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure he was a steal, after all, he was a 3 star like all of our other receivers. Or did I miss something?

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
At the risk of setting off another thread that never ends, I'll say that it looks like the freshman on O who is most likely to play right now is - wait for it - Brad Stewart.

Clearly not. It's Marcus Marshall by a long margin. He'll be probably even starts.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Matthew Jordan is not out of the post Thomas QB race by any means.

Agree. Things "getting done" are dynamic as attrition, player maturity and development, and new recruits can change any of these issues with time. These things learned from Camp are a baseline from which to start prep for the season....and things will change. Last season for example Joe was not in the OL discussion right after Camp but he became a real contributor the second half of the season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else bothered that we are talking about two freshmen D linemen getting on the field, when we have Gotsis, and Jabari, and Francis Kallon in the middle, with Freeman, Rock-Chungong, Pat Gamble Tyler Stargel and Whitehead outside? I am not sure if that means that Glanton and St. Amour are that good, or if it means that the other guys are....well, I am not sure how to say it nicely, not perhaps not living up to all of our hopes. I guess I have been particularly worried about Jabari ever since I heard he had not made the top of the depth chart (we'll see today if that still holds true, I guess).

I am glad for the contribution and like the depth that we have (for the first time in forever) but in a really good program, even very good true frosh D linemen redshirt.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else bothered that we are talking about two freshmen D linemen getting on the field, when we have Gotsis, and Jabari, and Francis Kallon in the middle, with Freeman, Rock-Chungong, Pat Gamble Tyler Stargel and Whitehead outside? I am not sure if that means that Glanton and St. Amour are that good, or if it means that the other guys are....well, I am not sure how to say it nicely, not perhaps not living up to all of our hopes. I guess I have been particularly worried about Jabari ever since I heard he had not made the top of the depth chart (we'll see today if that still holds true, I guess).

I am glad for the contribution and like the depth that we have (for the first time in forever) but in a really good program, even very good true frosh D linemen redshirt.

I think it means those guys are just that talented.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is true for any team...the defense will always get the better of the offense earlier in the season. Offense is based off of timing, and chemistry. Sometimes it takes a bit for all the parts to sync. Our offense has A LOT of moving parts in terms of timing in the backfield, on the perimeter, and along the line. That's why our offense, though prolific early in the season, becomes a freight train in the second half of the season.

In our case, we're pretty much replacing every skilled player outside of JeT. Our defense returns a lot of guys, so they will have the edge in terms of knowing how to play together, and experience. I would have been more worried about our Defense had our Offense had their way early in training camp.