Scouting Tulane

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are two guys playing at Tulane who played for my old HS in NY. One of them is starting at RT who I had in my calculus class. If he is starting, they aren't in too good shape. He is big but he has zero toughness. The other guy is a second string LB and ST player. He is a really nice kid. I had him for PreCalc as a Junior. Don't worry. I won't be rooting for them in the least bit. In fact, I saw the LB last spring and I gave him a bunch of crap.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
One way to improve tackling in one week is to move the non-tacklers down the depth chart. That'll light a fire in a hurry.
good idea except the BIG problem of little depth/talent--the next guy may know how to tackle but he is not fast enough or too inexperienced on where to go--after watching the tape if we had more talent/exp neither Stargel nor golden would be 1st unit def- Stargel was a slow LB now he is a slow DE,golden was good hi school QB that we switched to DB but he never learned to tackle(which is hard to do late in career)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
good idea except the BIG problem of little depth/talent--the next guy may know how to tackle but he is not fast enough or too inexperienced on where to go--after watching the tape if we had more talent/exp neither Stargel nor golden would be 1st unit def- Stargel was a slow LB now he is a slow DE,golden was good hi school QB that we switched to DB but he never learned to tackle(which is hard to do late in career)
Golden is not a good tackler, but he has a pretty good nose for the ball in the air. Maybe a few picks will outweigh his liability tackling. We play a pass happy team this week, let's see how it goes. The bigger issue this week will be pass rush/pressure. I was pleasantly surprised with IJ's tackling last week.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Golden is not a good tackler, but he has a pretty good nose for the ball in the air. Maybe a few picks will outweigh his liability tackling. We play a pass happy team this week, let's see how it goes. The bigger issue this week will be pass rush/pressure. I was pleasantly surprised with IJ's tackling last week.

Isaiah Johnson is out for the game this weekend. Just FYI.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The team Tulane lost to last weekend is getting absolutely pasted by Oklahoma right now. 31-7. 31-0 at the half.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Voice of Tulane was just talking to GT pregame. The stat that he said was the talk of Tulane's coaching stat was a new one for me:

Under CPJ, GT has had 26 1 play drives (I'm assuming that those were just the scores and not the fumbles and interceptions but who knows). The Tulane DC was quoted as being really concerned about the special need for playing every play.