Scouting Tulane

Weather projected way out next Saturday is high of 88 and possible thunderstorms. It should cool down by game time a bit but humidity will be there all night past the end.

The reason I bring up temperature is this last game of our had very limited substitutions in blistering hot conditions. THis has to have taken a big toll on many of our players, especially the OL and DL. They may have lost 15 pounds for some. The big guys had to be dying. It was not only hot; they were sprinting and with their body fat they are well insulated.

As a side note, if not for the game day experience for the fans, CPJ should push for these non-relevant (to TV viewing) games to be in the evening to put less fatigue on the players. The Woffard game took far more out of our starting team than I expected.

(I used to race bikes / triathlons and would go from 158 to 152 in three hour races despite drinking all I could so I sympathize. I would feel the dehydration effects in my body for a few days as a general lethargy. And that was in my 30's and I was in much better cardiovascular shape than the football players.)
Unfortunately, the TV people and the ACC control the KO times, and they don't care about the heat or its effects on either players or fans.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of people are brushing off the fat that Tulsa was 3-9 last year with 7 double digit losses.

They aren't good, and the fact that Tulane played them close should not be cause for concern.

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
There was game this week with the opening of a new stadium in Houston. It didn't help them much. They got killed by an alphabits school, UTSA 27-7. So much for new stadium advantage!
SkyBuzz

Animal02

Banned
Mack:
Me and my daughter were there also. I just went back and checked and that game was the last weekend in September. That makes it worse. :)

Farmer's Almanac says the high in ATL on Sept 26 that year was only 93. Felt like 103 didn't it?

Was there too....and it felt a lot hotter than that in the upper east. Didn't even drink that day either.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know we played a tough game against wofford that many thought would be a blow out. We scored about as much as I thought and would've scored more if our defense could get off the field. Tulane will play an offense that isn't good vs a secondary that is better than your wideouts, which is the case when they play us, and I just don't see what some of you see. The qb is a freshman vs a big time school. Roof will bring the heat, we will create a turnover early and we will roll. We didn't beat wofford badly enough to be complacent and that's good. I think we win this game 45-17. We have better athletes and have a better system, especially when they haven't played us multiple times. The last time we played a team like this was last year vs Syracuse and that didn't turn out well for them.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Mack:
Me and my daughter were there also. I just went back and checked and that game was the last weekend in September. That makes it worse. :)

Farmer's Almanac says the high in ATL on Sept 26 that year was only 93. Felt like 103 didn't it?
U got that right......will not do that again........bad or rather hot day in Hotlanta

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of people are brushing off the fat that Tulsa was 3-9 last year with 7 double digit losses.

They aren't good, and the fact that Tulane played them close should not be cause for concern.

You do realize that Wofford was a 5-6 team in FCS last year, right? So by the measure you're using, we're in trouble. :rolleyes:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You do realize that Tech was 7-4 in 1989, before winning the NC in 1990. What does the previous year have to do with the current year?

LOL. Statistically a lot. MOST teams stay in about the same performance range. There is the great overachiever or under achiever for a couple percent of the teams; like our NC team.

Woffard was awful last year which is why the impartial computer ranking services had us as 99.7% likely to win. Woffard is obviously improved this year (or we are worse).

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
You do realize that Wofford was a 5-6 team in FCS last year, right? So by the measure you're using, we're in trouble. :rolleyes:

We beat Wofford by almost 20 points, and outgained them by almost 200 yards. The game was never in question. I'm sorry for your football PTSD if you ever truly felt otherwise, but one fluke play does not a close game make.

Get your liquor drinks ready, in 4 days we roll.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree but I think that improvement is more of scheme (Run fits/ pass coverage) more than techniques. Maybe a better way of saying it is you can improve between the ears. I think the only way to improve tackling is to do more of it and I don't think that is going to happen in one week. At least I hope it doesn't.
One way to improve tackling in one week is to move the non-tacklers down the depth chart. That'll light a fire in a hurry.