Scouting Tulane

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Tulsa was favored by 4.5-5 points. So the outcome is not a huge surprise.

Looked to me like Tulane has enough to bother us, and I doubt we "curb stomp" them, especially in their home opener of their brand new on-campus stadium (sold out, btw). In fact, I expect a difficult game that has Tulane within striking distance until the 4th quarter when we pull away. Something like 35-20 sounds about right to me. And I do think it is a trap game for us.

PS- when was the last time we "curb stomped" someone on the road?

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow

Looked to me like Tulane has enough to bother us, and I doubt we "curb stomp" them, especially in their home opener of their brand new on-campus stadium (sold out, btw). In fact, I expect a difficult game that has Tulane within striking distance until the 4th quarter when we pull away. Something like 35-20 sounds about right to me. And I do think it is a trap game for us.

Duke last year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Last year at Duke? We won by 4 scores but wasn't that close, imo.

Edit: I typed this before seeing post from @Pj4prez01

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think this will be a good test for our DL more than any other group. If Tulane can stop our offense, this will be an ugly season. I expect us to hang 40+ on them but give up 20+. We'll see, but nothing about last night changed my prediction.

FWIW, I was in Durham last year and that game never felt close. Duke only scored twice. We had some "come on guys" moments when we just could not stop Duke for a whille, but Vad and the offense played a good game. If my memory is correct the Cockrell interception was the only turnover.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For those of you who did not see the game, here is my assessment:
Tulane did some good things on O. They have a very good throwing QB, but not a big threat to run. They have some good receivers. They have an outstanding freshman RB who can burn you bad (he had 3 long runs). He has to be bottled up. Tulane lost momentum when Tulsa started rushing 5 and 6 in the second half and Tulane did not handle the pressure well.

Tulane gave the game away with two minutes remaining, score tied, and 1st and goal on the 6. After some poor play calling, they managed to kill only several seconds off the clock and missed a very short field goal on 4th down. Team was totally gassed after that and flat in OT.

Both teams had some serious coverage breakdowns in the secondary, primarily safety coverage, and there was a rash of poor tackling and bad ST play with weak kicking and penalties. IMO Tulane's defense will be challenged to stop our TO3 but we will give up some passing yardage. Tech wins with big edge in STs and better fundamentals.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will learn quite a bit about team in that game. Being a road game is also apart of the learning curve when the rubber meets the road in Blacksburg.
I agree. Early on I poo-pooed this date on the schedule, but it now looks like genius. Tulane will provide a good test without a serious threat for a loss (I hope). Watching them last night I saw a team like Duke of past years. A team with some capable athletes, but not a complete team.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Early on I poo-pooed this date on the schedule, but it now looks like genius. Tulane will provide a good test without a serious threat for a loss (I hope). Watching them last night I saw a team like Duke of past years. A team with some capable athletes, but not a complete team.

Good assessment.