Scoring totals this year

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Impossible to gauge after playing Clemson... but it got me thinking. People were mad about the offense last year, which in a down year without two All-ACC players (Dedrick Mills and Kirvonte Benson) had games of:

66 points... 63 points... 50 points... 38 points.. 41 points, etc.. 655 yards of offense. 565 yards of offense.. 530 yards offense... 602 yards of offense.. 470 yards offense, etc..

If last years team has Mills and Kirvonte it would have been significantly better too. You can't lose two all conference backs in a running system and not suffer.

The question is... will this team put up these kinds of numbers in multiple games? Or is the offense going to just have to take its lumps all year?

Jmonty71

Banned
I dont see us having an offensive explosion vs anyone besides Citadel. Doesn't mean we won't win some games, but we will need to keep teams at least in the 20's to do so.[/QUOTE100% agree with this..... Our offense is missing a lot of pieces and have to use what we have. By all means, this team will not be a juggernaut.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I dont see us having an offensive explosion vs anyone besides Citadel. Doesn't mean we won't win some games, but we will need to keep teams at least in the 20's to do so.
21 points should be enough to give you a chance to win a game if you have a good defense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO, I would trade the gaudy numbers for less variation in the process but that is the engineer in me talking. I became less and less impressed with the gaudy numbers against lesser opponents and/or people who never saw the offense because we could look equally ineffective at times, not just against the Clemson's or Uga's, which is understandable but even with teams like Duke who were familiar with us.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We’ve been spoiled by the CPJ offense (and whatever the opposite of that is by his defenses). We put up video game numbers with fewer possessions than almost every other team. It stalled against good defenses - as most offenses tend to do - but we were probably the number 2 offense in the ACC over the course of his tenure behind Clemson.

The 2014 offense was rated the most efficient in modern history. We scored TDs on over half our drives on the season. Absurd.

There is zero chance we put up the same ppg this season as last year I doubt we even hit our average points/drive from the previous regime anytime in the next 3/4 seasons. I also wouldn’t be that surprised if we have a better defensive points/drive number in 2020 than any season since ‘08.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
21 points should be enough to give you a chance to win a game if you have a good defense.
21 points will give you 8 loses this year. Clemson and Alabama both had pretty good defenses last year if not great Clemson would have lost 3 games and alabama would have lost 4 more games.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
21 points will give you 8 loses this year. Clemson and Alabama both had pretty good defenses last year if not great Clemson would have lost 3 games and alabama would have lost 4 more games.
I'm not saying go undefeated scoring 21 a game. I'm saying 21 is enough to give you a decent chance at winning the game. Obviously to be elite, you need both sides humming.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We’ve been spoiled by the CPJ offense (and whatever the opposite of that is by his defenses). We put up video game numbers with fewer possessions than almost every other team. It stalled against good defenses - as most offenses tend to do - but we were probably the number 2 offense in the ACC over the course of his tenure behind Clemson.

The 2014 offense was rated the most efficient in modern history. We scored TDs on over half our drives on the season. Absurd.

There is zero chance we put up the same ppg this season as last year I doubt we even hit our average points/drive from the previous regime anytime in the next 3/4 seasons. I also wouldn’t be that surprised if we have a better defensive points/drive number in 2020 than any season since ‘08.
100% agree

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I dont see us having an offensive explosion vs anyone besides Citadel. Doesn't mean we won't win some games, but we will need to keep teams at least in the 20's to do so.

I think we will have at least a couple of other high scoring games. The coastal is still a hot mess and we have some pretty good skill guys. The offense will gel more as the season continues.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

They changed the metrics mid season in ‘14 to give #1 to Oregon. :D

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Need to be high 20's or 30's most weeks, nowadays, even with a good defense.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m with an earlier post that I became less enamored with gaudy numbers and high point totals against bad teams/teams that had no clue. The goal will be to put up numbers like that in 3 years with talent that can show up the next week and go toe-to-toe against the Clemsons and UGAs. Or at least be competitive with them.

Hopefully we’ll have some successful saturdays this year, but my I’ll be happy with doing whatever we need to do to get to that point in 2 or 3 years. Doubt will see numbers like last year’s in 2019.

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
2008 would be a better comparison IMO. But even then we had much better top end talent. Having those kind of difference makers can go a long ways.