School Recruiting rankings

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are 65 ranked - so we are lower middle of the pact or almost low pact. Some could be debated Maryland#33 Rutgers #43 and Miss St#28 are the ones that seem a bit overstated to me.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think we actually recruit quite well (given the circumstances), despite rankings. I've always felt that a three star Georgia player equates to a four star in some less talent rich states. While not football related, when I played junior tennis I had friends who were top 100 in Georgia (a big tennis state) move elsewhere (Nebraska, Illinois, etc.) and easily break into the top 10 there. They weren't better players after they moved, just faced lesser competition. Surrounding talent is huge. When you're a great player playing against great teams, you can look pedestrian. I think it works for us that we can rely on local talent to fill our roster if going national doesn't work out. It also helps that we shoot for high ceiling guys and retain them for four years.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think we actually recruit quite well (given the circumstances), despite rankings. I've always felt that a three star Georgia player equates to a four star in some less talent rich states. While not football related, when I played junior tennis I had friends who were top 100 in Georgia (a big tennis state) move elsewhere (Nebraska, Illinois, etc.) and easily break into the top 10 there. They weren't better players after they moved, just faced lesser competition. Surrounding talent is huge. When you're a great player playing against great teams, you can look pedestrian. I think it works for us that we can rely on local talent to fill our roster if going national doesn't work out. It also helps that we shoot for high ceiling guys and retain them for four years.

interesting you made that "retain for4 yrs" statement--we can't basically very well, look at '10 class

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the main thing to get here is that, while they are trying to pretend otherwise, this is basically an ordinal scale based on "expert rankings". They have us at 45. Great. Does that mean that there is a perceptible difference between Tech and the teams 15 above and below us? Probably not. There is a difference between Tech and, say, USC and it is due to the factors they cite. Is it the difference between 4 and 45? No, because there are not set intervals between the ranks. Does USC have an easier time recruiting then Tech does? Sure, but their advantage probably isn't as great as these rankings make out.

That said, I wish Tech had a more varied curriculum. That's the main problem and it will probably remain so.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I know that the common perception among GT fans is that recruiting rankings don't matter, but is anybody else a little concerned about recruiting.

I know Tech has a great history of taking recruits and showing that they were always great players, but man we seem to not be getting any of the 4 star rated recruits..

Our last 4 star recruit was step durham in 2014. We got zero in 2015, we currently have zero in 2016, and we got zero in 2013.

2012 had two, Justin T and Francis.

We are sitting number 88 currently rivals and we are really low on the other sites, even our average per student athlete is low... I know we have a small class, I know we face tougher restrictions (Which I think is crap), but I little concerned about our ability to win over kids.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know Tech has a great history of taking recruits and showing that they were always great players, but man we seem to not be getting any of the 4 star rated recruits..

We got zero in 2015, we currently have zero in 2016, and we got zero in 2013.

To point #1, understand that we never will, unless the school decides to compromise itself for football, which it won't.

To point #2, our 2015 class will not make anyone long for more "4 stars" when all is said and done. That class is dynamite, and the best of CPJ's tenure. I wager it is better than CCG's '07 class, especially considering how many will most likely stay and make a lasting impact.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I know that the common perception among GT fans is that recruiting rankings don't matter, but is anybody else a little concerned about recruiting.

Our last 4 star recruit was step durham in 2014. We got zero in 2015, we currently have zero in 2016, and we got zero in 2013.

We are sitting number 88 currently rivals and we are really low on the other sites, even our average per student athlete is low... I know we have a small class, I know we face tougher restrictions (Which I think is crap), but I little concerned about our ability to win over kids.

I am concerned as well. Tech does face a little more of an uphill battle with the academic requirements needed to get in compared to many other schools, especially factories. With that said, I also think it is a little bit of a cop-out used by our fans and coaches for not recruiting better. IMO, Tech has some things going against it in the fact PJ is never going to be a Dabo rah-rah, cool with the recruits, type of person, its just not his thing. Which is fine, but it doesn't really help with sealing some of the bigger names who want a coach they can bond with. Also, the lack of majors that kids can choose from, and been mentioned several times on pretty much every board, the majors that we can hide players and push them through like a lot of other schools have. Most kids know and or are told by other coaches that Tech requires some effort on the education side and lets be honest, majority of big name recruits now days have no interests in having to work in the classroom. Not that everyone isn't concerned with academics, because there are some, but those who are, we are fighting for with schools like ND, Stanford, Ivy League schools, etc that are looking for Blue Chip players who are also smart.

With the current staff, I just don't think we have a strong enough recruiting group to bring in those 5-6 really great (4-5 star) players mixed in a class consistently to keep us competitive. Winning would always help, and if we could have had another great season this year, we might have had a chance to really gain some ground with good recruiting classes with back to back great seasons. But since this year was an absolute bust, the momentum and positive energy we had going from last year pretty much went down the toilet. The only silver lining is you can tell the recruits now you're obviously going to be playing early, because we need all the help we can get.

I know recruiting here will never be easy and that's understandable, but I still think we could be doing better than we are.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's unreasonable to have some concern about the recruiting for this year. I think we can live in the 40s and be competitive, but if we're in the 80s it will be a problem later down the line. Further, this would mark the second class rated that poorly in the last four. That's not a recipe for success. I recognize that there is still time and that the rankings are influenced by volume and that we've lost two good players in the past few weeks, but this needs to improve, because the teams we play against annually aren't waiting on us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

The best shot we have for a blue chip recruit is one that also:

a) truly values education, not just lip service like you get from 80% of them (right now you've narrowed the field of recruits to about 3% of the total.)
b) wants a STEM degree (now you've further narrowed the field to 1.5%)
c) is not offered or can't get into Stanford or ND (field now at .5 %)
d) lives in GA and wants to stay close to home (field now at .25%)
e) too small to play desired position at factory but fits our offense and willing to snub the factory so he can play the position he wants (ie: the JeT exception - no telling how small this percentage is.)

*percentages are hyperbolic guestimations, but not far from truth

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

a) truly values education, not just lip service like you get from 80% of them (right now you've narrowed the field of recruits to about 3% of the total.)
e) too small to play desired position at factory but fits our offense and willing to snub the factory so he can play the position he wants (ie: the JeT exception - no telling how small this percentage is.)

Probably wouldn't hurt if we could develop a reputation as a school that produces excellent "X." Think VT with DBs or Missouri with DL or Baylor with WR, or as much as I hate to say it, UGA with RBs lately. They all seem to consistently have players at those positions that seem to affect games positively.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Back in 15 your post was spot on.

Are there way more hs elite athletes that value a good education or do we have a helluva recruiting staff that sells our grad rate. Imo, its both.

Now your recent posts of -
I really " hope these guys can coach" is spot on.

Sorry to give u a hard time. The changes that coach solidified thru discipline after the 14 attrition has solidified our player grad rate. Coach hurt told me this would payoff. We are so lucky to have Coach. What if he had an AD!!

Let's enjoy the ride and hope they can put a game plan together , scrap it after 1 st quarter and adjust to give us some exciting wins.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting!!! Come on all you negative posters! Tell me why this is a fluke, it can't be maintained, etc.,etc.,etc. Guess I need to be brought down to your levels, instead of dwelling on the positive!!

"Brooks is the fourth member of what will be Geoff Collins’ first full cycle, joining a trio of three-star prospects who committed over the first two weeks of March. His commitment bumped Georgia Tech’s 2020 recruiting class up to 25th nationally." SBNation

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting!!! Come on all you negative posters! Tell me why this is a fluke, it can't be maintained, etc.,etc.,etc. Guess I need to be brought down to your levels, instead of dwelling on the positive!!

"Brooks is the fourth member of what will be Geoff Collins’ first full cycle, joining a trio of three-star prospects who committed over the first two weeks of March. His commitment bumped Georgia Tech’s 2020 recruiting class up to 25th nationally." SBNation

Anyone who reads my posts knows I've beaten "GT should recruit better drum". That said, I think we should wait until we have our signing class in the barn at the end the cycle before we start proclaiming anything.

Yes, it seems the class is off to a very promising start, but it's WAAAY to early and a LOT will change between now and the signing day. Trust me, I'll take a top 25 recruiting class all day every day...but it will mean something only if we can actually sign a top 25 class.