Scheller MBA

bos

Helluva Engineer
Hello,

I'm planning on going back for my MBA this fall and Scheller is at the top of my list. Has anyone gone through this already and/or has any experience/tips to share about the program? My plan is to go for the evening part-time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hello,

I'm planning on going back for my MBA this fall and Scheller is at the top of my list. Has anyone gone through this already and/or has any experience/tips to share about the program? My plan is to go for the evening part-time.

I haven't gone back, but have been to a variety of presentations about it.

They seem hyper focused on being the MBA for technology, so that should be a consideration when you're considering it.

I'm sure you can literally go do any thing next from Scheller, but their best inroads will be in tech and is that what you're looking for?

bos

Helluva Engineer
I haven't gone back, but have been to a variety of presentations about it.

They seem hyper focused on being the MBA for technology, so that should be a consideration when you're considering it.

I'm sure you can literally go do any thing next from Scheller, but their best inroads will be in tech and is that what you're looking for?

Not necessarily. I'm at a point where I've got work experience and I need something to take me further in my career, which is why I'm going for the MBA. I'm an accountant and a little stagnated right now. I guess I'm going more for career growth, but also skill-building and networking.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Consider Emory. I love GT but an Emory MBA has better career options and gives you access to another high-caliber network in the south / NYC.

Not arguing, just what I am sensing. so an opinion. It seems to me that Tech is continuing on its rapid ascension, while Emory is kind of stagnate at a strong level. Look at all the companies moving to Tech Square and the midtown area, there is not really an equivalent for Emory. I feel like the network for Tech MBA will continue to greatly expand. So if you are making a 40 year life plan, I think the odds are greatly in Tech's favor that it will dwarf Emory. But I also could see them continuing to expand their partnership and commingling their degrees and networks. So maybe long term it wont matter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not arguing, just what I am sensing. so an opinion. It seems to me that Tech is continuing on its rapid ascension, while Emory is kind of stagnate at a strong level. Look at all the companies moving to Tech Square and the midtown area, there is not really an equivalent for Emory. I feel like the network for Tech MBA will continue to greatly expand. So if you are making a 40 year life plan, I think the odds are greatly in Tech's favor that it will dwarf Emory. But I also could see them continuing to expand their partnership and commingling their degrees and networks. So maybe long term it wont matter.
To me, (and this is just my opinion) , the answer is "it depends". Because of Emory's strong medical connections and their close proximity to the CDC, if I were going into fields like biomedical start ups or the like, then I would vote for Emory.

If I were going to start a new chip company, I would vote GT.

if I was going to start something mundane like try to start...oh, I don't know...a new cereal company or a financial start up or a venture fund...I'd go to Harvard or Stanford.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
To me, (and this is just my opinion) , the answer is "it depends". Because of Emory's strong medical connections and their close proximity to the CDC, if I were going into fields like biomedical start ups or the like, then I would vote for Emory.

If I were going to start a new chip company, I would vote GT.

if I was going to start something mundane like try to start...oh, I don't know...a new cereal company or a financial start up or a venture fund...I'd go to Harvard or Stanford.

Though Tech is no doubt strong in fundamental technology, technology is branching into every aspect of just about everything in our lives. I would not put such a narrow focus on it. I feel like Tech is better positioned from a business perspective than just about any other institution.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Question. Are you planning to quit work and go full time or do an evening or weekend program? Can’t speak to Tech vs Emory but those programs may be quite different. Good luck whatever you choose.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Three of my friends did the Executive MBA at Emory, and one did the Executive MBA at Tech.

IMO, it's more about what you want to do with your career. Two of the people that did the EMBA at Emory ended up being managing directors for investment banks, while the other is a COO for a big bank. The GT EMBA continued on with his engineering firm and I believe is a COO now.

Your work experience and expertise will dictate where your career takes you more than the MBA, though going to certain schools can open doors for you depending on what field you want your career to grow in.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Question. Are you planning to quit work and go full time or do an evening or weekend program? Can’t speak to Tech vs Emory but those programs may be quite different. Good luck whatever you choose.

I would keep my job and do the part-time evening MBA.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at a 1 year full time program. One of my kids got a great job after graduating from GT, worked 4 years. Took the 1 year MBA (3 semesters: summer, fall, spring) at Emory and nearly doubled the annual salary. Six figures at 27 yrs old is pretty good, and the average Emory MBA starting is $100K - more with a GT undergrad. I don’t know what Tech’s MBA starting salaries are. Really good investment for both undergrad and grad.