Schedule

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty crazy how difficult our remaining schedule is... #2, #5, #13 and #16 on the schedule. Plus Duke who won't be a pushover on the road.

What's interesting is that I believe this team (with a healthy O line) can beat any of those teams... so the potential is there for a special, special year... but with some bad breaks we could go 5-6 or 6-5 very easily.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The remaining teams have about 28 wins and iirc 4 losses. That's tough. No 0-4 s on rest of schedule.
We have a fair shot at the coastal!

The remaining teams have about 28 wins and iirc 4 losses. That's tough. No 0-4 s on rest of schedule.
We have a fair shot at the coastal!
As the announcer announced yesterday, we will figure in who wins the division. And you know that we will get everyone's best effort. The next game remains the most important game from here on out.

Ok, so before we hype the teams on our Schedule, UGA and Clemson are the only ones who have beaten anybody. Va Tech beat a weak WV team and 3 high schools. UN beat a suspect Duke team and a high school. I think we have yet to see what we can do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While we did have the easier teams first, we were (IMO) able to find our selves on offense and defense. Playing several tougher teams could have really set us back.
Now as we play them we will have our players on the same page.

Barring some fumbles and injuries on o line at thinnest depth position , we would have curbed stomped the teams we have played. As it was we won our games handily in spite of issues. In the not too distant past we had a way on making lessor teams competitive. Also keep in mind we have played many second and third dreamers during this stretch.

We are a young team that is playing well and physically on the mend.
Coach and staff have us right where we need to be.!!

I am pretty confident that duke and Virginia and wake will be brought down to earth in the next few weeks. Most worried about wake being hyper aggressive on defense. With any luck we sweep them.
Now back to the big 5. We beat unc badly. I feel we will beat Miami and v t but loose to Clem and uga while going to acc champ .
Taking care of business with so so teams, winning 3 out of big five is and in acc championship is a dream season.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty crazy how difficult our remaining schedule is... #2, #5, #13 and #16 on the schedule. Plus Duke who won't be a pushover on the road.

What's interesting is that I believe this team (with a healthy O line) can beat any of those teams... so the potential is there for a special, special year... but with some bad breaks we could go 5-6 or 6-5 very easily.
We gotta play them one day at a time. I'm just happy to be here. We just need to give it our best shot and if the good Lord is willin', things will work out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Here's my take after a month...

We should be 4-0 (maybe 5-0) but we have not played a good team yet. The Tennessee game still hurts a ton...

Defense is improved. How much I don't know, but we've never shut anyone down under CPJ the way we did Pitt and Carolina the last two weeks.

Offense can be very good, but there are some very notable problems. First, we fumble way too much. Two turnovers against Tennessee, four against Pitt, two against Carolina...and three fumbles against Jax St. We already lost a game that could be blamed on turnovers...if we don't get this cleaned up we will lose several more.

I can't find stats on this, but the other issue on O that I feel like I've noticed is that we either march down the field and control the ball for 8 min or we seem to go theee and out. It's probably not as bad as I recall, but it feels like we've gone three and out a little too often.

Turnovers get corrected and I think we win at Miami...if not we might get blown out. The defense will be facing a different animal in a couple weeks, and I'm not sure they'll hold up if you're just handing the ball to the other team once a quarter.

The Miami game is huge...if we win that it places us as the clear leader for the coastal going into the VT game, which I feel we can win at home. We just have to scrap it out each play in Miami and get the win.
Virginia Tech's freshman qb is putting up better numbers than Michael Vick did his first year.

Here's my take after a month...

We should be 4-0 (maybe 5-0) but we have not played a good team yet. The Tennessee game still hurts a ton...

Defense is improved. How much I don't know, but we've never shut anyone down under CPJ the way we did Pitt and Carolina the last two weeks.
Offense can be very good, but there are some very notable problems. First, we fumble way too much. Two turnovers against Tennessee, four against Pitt, two against Carolina...and three fumbles against Jax St. We already lost a game that could be blamed on turnovers...if we don't get this cleaned up we will lose several more.

I can't find stats on this, but the other issue on O that I feel like I've noticed is that we either march down the field and control the ball for 8 min or we seem to go theee and out. It's probably not as bad as I recall, but it feels like we've gone three and out a little too often.

Turnovers get corrected and I think we win at Miami...if not we might get blown out. The defense will be facing a different animal in a couple weeks, and I'm not sure they'll hold up if you're just handing the ball to the other team once a quarter.
I certainly agree, we have not played a good team yet. That said, we have a habit of playing down to the level of our competition. Looking forward to the Miami game

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It's going to have to be ball control and concentration to detail on each play during the Miami game. Also feel like we may see some of Matthew Jordan with the hits that are going to be delivered.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
brutal. But we have a good squad.

What no one likes to talk about is the luck thing. There's probably a big difference between most 3-9 and 9-3 teams. But when we start looking at teams in roughly the same echelon, there are so many caprices that determine whether you're at 7-5 or 9-3.

Like, think about fumble recoveries. Good teams fumble less, but good teams don't recover fumbles at any higher of a rate - it's just about where the ball bounces. Same with tipped passes (Pitt last year?). The wind on field goals. Little indeterminacies that don't always quite balance out.

This is all just to say, I understand CPJ's resigned, almost fatalistic attitude of "it's never as good or bad as it seems." Based on what I've seen so far this year, we are clearly better than the Pitts and UNC's of the ACC, clearly not as good as Clemson, and probably in the same ballpark as everybody else. If we win, it won't necessarily be because we are better in that game, and if we lose it won't necessarily be because we're worse.

The players still need to execute, of course, but they have the talent and the coaches have clearly taught them how to do what they need to do. But, as I think UNC 2017 and GT 2015 teach us....just being healthy is the biggest thing once you're at that point