Scale baby Scale

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s funny to me, that people can see all the changes going on around them and not connect them. The internet, iphone, and social media has changed so much about how companies/institutions can grow, but people still don’t understand it. This is the part that I think most people are missing. It used to be that if you were a small institution competing against larger ones, that you were at a distinct disadvantage. The large football factories have all the attention so they get all the money is all people see. They aren’t understanding that there are a lot of opportunities right now to disrupt this. Smaller schools, have all the same access to marketing, more then ever before. Why spend $10 to get an extra fan in a seat, when that same $10 could be spent on marketing, to get 10, 100, etc fans watching. It is all about how can you scale faster with less costs. In fact in this day and age, if you aren’t marketing, you have already lost. That to me, was the biggest failure of the CPJ era. We didn’t take advantage of our identity under him and market to our fullest. When CPJ complained about having one hand tied behind his back, this was a large part of it. TS recognized it, and has been attacking the issue since he came. I think CPJ was just tired by the end and didn’t want to wait for the fixes to have effect. Luckily CGC recognizes the fixes TS is implementing, and actually multiplying them and increasing the focus on marketing. This is change, I know some of the fans are griping, because we are not doing it the way they are used to. If we don’t commit to making these changes we will become obsolete.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It’s funny to me, that people can see all the changes going on around them and not connect them. The internet, iphone, and social media has changed so much about how companies/institutions can grow, but people still don’t understand it. This is the part that I think most people are missing. It used to be that if you were a small institution competing against larger ones, that you were at a distinct disadvantage. The large football factories have all the attention so they get all the money is all people see. They aren’t understanding that there are a lot of opportunities right now to disrupt this. Smaller schools, have all the same access to marketing, more then ever before. Why spend $10 to get an extra fan in a seat, when that same $10 could be spent on marketing, to get 10, 100, etc fans watching. It is all about how can you scale faster with less costs. In fact in this day and age, if you aren’t marketing, you have already lost. That to me, was the biggest failure of the CPJ era. We didn’t take advantage of our identity under him and market to our fullest. When CPJ complained about having one hand tied behind his back, this was a large part of it. TS recognized it, and has been attacking the issue since he came. I think CPJ was just tired by the end and didn’t want to wait for the fixes to have effect. Luckily CGC recognizes the fixes TS is implementing, and actually multiplying them and increasing the focus on marketing. This is change, I know some of the fans are griping, because we are not doing it the way they are used to. If we don’t commit to making these changes we will become obsolete.
In general, I agree about scale, but I don't think "marketing" can substitute for a staff that knows what it is doing and resources to help them do it. Scale is largely a matter of resources and, unless Tech gets more of them, we can market our jocks off without effect. No doubt there's an interaction here; hype is necessary and you can't raise money without it. Problem = hype works best when accompanied by winning; ask Butch Jones about that. And that's going to be our problem going forward. If Tech can do ok next season (4 - 5 wins), then we should be able to sustain momentum. If it can't - and I think another 3 win season or less is possible - then we'll see what all the hype gets us. I know you will disagree with this since you think that social media images are so important. I don't.

Oh, and as to marketing during Paul's time, goto ramblingwreck and look at press guides in the football archives. Compare the 2009 press guide with the most recent edition. Paul may not have been as active in the press as Collins, but the hype was sure there. Then the whole business was toned down. I'm guessing that the staff thought the money should go to something else. There wasn't much to spare when Rad took over.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree about marketing before TS, putting something in a media guide is not marketing in the social media age. As far as winning, to me CPJ did win (I know others would say he wasn't consistent), and it still didn't bring much attention. I agree that all the marketing without results isn't going to mean much, but unless you are winning the CFP, winning without marketing doesn't seem to move the needle much either. The marketing is starting to bring in the better players, now it is up to the coaches to start executing on the field to reinforce the marketing.

Marketing has nothing to do with any of this. Football is still football.
Fact Georgia Tech has a limited curriculum which will inhibit attracting players
Fact Georgia Tech is in a big city which can hurt attracting players
Fact Georgia Tech has a smaller fan base and following
Fact Georgia Tech does not have the budget that the larger schools have.

Since the modern era of football, 1970 and on, we have had some great seasons but many not so great. Do I see this changing...no. As a Tech fan I look at the 1985, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2014 as magical seasons. But there are many that were not. So here will be the hype youngsters believing that Tech can be Alabama....hell we weren't Alabama back in the the 50s and 60s. We have a pretty good recruiting class this year but we have had many 4 stars that never panned out. I don't expect much from next year, maybe 2-3 wins but it will be the following year that will be make or break.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Marketing has nothing to do with any of this. Football is still football.
Fact Georgia Tech has a limited curriculum which will inhibit attracting players
Fact Georgia Tech is in a big city which can hurt attracting players
Fact Georgia Tech has a smaller fan base and following
Fact Georgia Tech does not have the budget that the larger schools have.

Since the modern era of football, 1970 and on, we have had some great seasons but many not so great. Do I see this changing...no. As a Tech fan I look at the 1985, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2014 as magical seasons. But there are many that were not. So here will be the hype youngsters believing that Tech can be Alabama....hell we weren't Alabama back in the the 50s and 60s. We have a pretty good recruiting class this year but we have had many 4 stars that never panned out. I don't expect much from next year, maybe 2-3 wins but it will be the following year that will be made or break.

Isn't marketing exactly what grows a smaller fan base? It gets sidewalk fans to support a school alongside alumni. For years the main message Tech was sending out was that we were smarter than everyone else. Even with winning that's not endearing to a potential sidewalk fan. Focused marketing can change that message and attract more sidewalk fans and in turn more resources.

Marketing can do wonders. Hell, pink was a boy's color before marketing convinced people is was a girls color.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
How GT being in Atlanta hurts recruiting?
Because some fans love GT being the small little engine that could and being the underdog. when in reality we have the facilities tradition and location to compete with everyone we play, and have done so throughout our history until Mike Bobinski set us back with his lack of support for the program.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Marketing is absolutely essential to contemporary college football. Of course, you have to have coaches that coach well and good players. I mean, duh? But that doesnt mean marketing doesnt serve a very important function.

To make a statement like "marketing has nothing to do with any of this," AND "Atlanta is a detriment to recruiting," (or however he phrased it... I'm not putting myself through reading that again) is laughable.

Nova is spot on. In another few years, the results of GT-CGC-TS marketing campaigns will be clearly obvious to anyone without an agenda.

I'm still kinda shocked at the ignorance in this thread.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Marketing can do wonders. Hell, pink was a boy's color before marketing convinced people is was a girls color.
An aside.

My mother used to have my father's dress pinks. It isn't widely known now - the Navy shuts up about it - but the dress Pacific uniform color for the Navy during the 30s and into WW2 was - believe it - pink. And, I might add, that uniform looked pretty slick. I don't know how this decision was made, but it worked. I wish I could find the uniform, but it disappeared down the years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
An aside.

My mother used to have my father's dress pinks. It isn't widely known now - the Navy shuts up about it - but the dress Pacific uniform color for the Navy during the 30s and into WW2 was - believe it - pink. And, I might add, that uniform looked pretty slick. I don't know how this decision was made, but it worked. I wish I could find the uniform, but it disappeared down the years.
As was said, when pink and blue were originally chosen to represent boys and girls, the pink was for the boys and the blue was for the girls. I don't remember what caused it to flip.