SbNation Podcast on GT Coaching Situation

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Depends on the context. Sleeping giant as perennial Top10? No. Sleeping giant as we should have a strangle hold on the Coastal for the next 3-4 yrs? Yes
There is no reason we can’t be perennial Top 25, with some seasons that get us into playoff discussion. Basically what Stansbury said in press conference. I will accept no excuses or mindsets contrary to this. Carry on.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Something I haven't seen mentioned, but regardless of who the next HC is, there is virtually zero chance that several offensive assistants are retained. I fully expect Mike Sewak to be gone, and I expect that with Ron West and Craig Candeto as well. Buzz Preston might potentially stay on as WR coach and Lamar Owens may also stay on in a special teams/recruiting coordinator capacity, but both of those are doubtful as well
By not mentioning defensive coaches in this context, may I assume that there is a much better chance that they are retained?

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
By not mentioning defensive coaches in this context, may I assume that there is a much better chance that they are retained?
Absolutely. I expect an overhaul of coaches on the offensive side of the ball, but depending on who is hired, they may or may not make changes to the defensive side. However, it is certainly possible and perhaps even probable that whoever becomes the head coach would want a say in their entire staff and may not retain any coaches from the defensive side either

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. I expect an overhaul of coaches on the offensive side of the ball, but depending on who is hired, they may or may not make changes to the defensive side. However, it is certainly possible and perhaps even probable that whoever becomes the head coach would want a say in their entire staff and may not retain any coaches from the defensive side either
I know this is the wrong place any word on our recruits ?

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Not as hard as you think. It's harder to get the school and Tech people to chill out and let it happen, than it is to get everyday, non-Tech Atlantans on board. A city that has such gosh awful pro sports is looking for a team to back.

No, they are not. It's not hard to be a college football fan in Atlanta and completely ignore Tech. People aren't clamoring for a second team to root for either.

Atlanta United caught fire because Atlanta is a city of mercenaries and foreigners and Hispanics and soccer moms and Urban hipsters wearing Liverpool and Manchester scarves. Wasn't hard to apply basic Marketing with that fan base already built in

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I know this is the wrong place any word on our recruits ?
I have not been focused on the 2019 recruiting cycle due to personal commitments, so I could not give you the quality of perspective I would like to provide. I hope that this winter I can catch up to an extent and begin focusing on the 2020 cycle and providing insight, but it depends all on how everything sorts out

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The arrogance and elitism of some of GT fan base is a HUGE turnoff. When one of the board members dismissed Tony Elliot’s industrial engineering degree & college GPA because he went to Clemson, that’s a problem of mentality.

First of all, let me begin by saying that I appreciate you and your contribution to the forum. Even though we have sparred in the past, I really respect you. Unlike many of even our alumni who don't like CPJ, you have not let your displeasure with his scheme keep you from enjoying the wins and from participating on the forum after our wins. And, I say that even though the forum after losses drove me away. So, while we disagree on a lot, I respect you.

With that being said, I think that you misunderstand the response regarding people's reaction to Coach Elliot's "IE degree and college GPA because he went to Clemson." The question is not what kind of IE he would be. The question is does his experience doing an IE at CU translate to working at GT. For that question, the issue isn't the substance of the course work, but the culture of the campus.

If you want to throw the word "arrogance" around, I think it really applies more to someone who has never attended GT, doesn't have any engineering degree from any institution, but still thinks he can speak more authoritatively on the subject than people with both. If you have time, you might want to check out what Josh Pastner has said about recruiting to Tech before and after he was actually on the job.

Now, this last point brings me back to the Podcast. There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of young coaches see GT as entry level Power5 gig which has under-recruited given its location and conference. However, I think that people really need to read or listen to what Wes said about the reality of GT's academic environment. I'm not saying that it can't be done, and I certainly hope that we find someone who can do it. However, I also think that a lot of the young coaches who haven't actually been on staff at GT would get a wake-up call to the difficulties once they got here.

As far as Coach Elliot is concerned, it will be interesting to see if TStan meant what he said about not trying to out-Clemson Clemson with fewer resources.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
No, they are not. It's not hard to be a college football fan in Atlanta and completely ignore Tech. People aren't clamoring for a second team to root for either.

Atlanta United caught fire because Atlanta is a city of mercenaries and foreigners and Hispanics and soccer moms and Urban hipsters wearing Liverpool and Manchester scarves. Wasn't hard to apply basic Marketing with that fan base already built in

I think there is some truth somewhere in the middle. I agree that Atlanta United was a very unique circumstance that Tech cannot hope to simply "replicate." That said, we can do a better job trying to be an "Atlanta" team and incorporating elements of the city and culture.

Remember years ago when we had Big Boi perform with the band?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I have not been focused on the 2019 recruiting cycle due to personal commitments, so I could not give you the quality of perspective I would like to provide. I hope that this winter I can catch up to an extent and begin focusing on the 2020 cycle and providing insight, but it depends all on how everything sorts out

A DB was just offered, so they moving.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech suffers from SEC envy. We WERE the class act of the SEC in 1960. But things change.

I wouldn’t worry so much. I’ve watched Tech for four decades. It doesn’t change much. Shoukd we be a perennial Top 25? Yes. And that’s up to the AD.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone here think GT REALLY has the potential to be a sleeping giant? I never went to Tech and don’t know how truly difficult classes are, and how they affect recruiting. But can anyone give me their opinion on if it is possible or not?

The Atlantic has Clemson as their sleeping giant. Could Tech be the Coastals?
Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant and Todd Stansbury is the best thing that has come. We will be competing for championships soon. A big fast smart player beats a big fast not so smart player every time.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Before I always thought Clemson was the sleeping giant. They woke up. Now I think UNC is.
I have always thought UNC was a sleeping giant. I saw a post the day before Mack Brown was hired again. It stated he was coming back and the kid from Texas Tech was going to be his OC and Gene Chizic was going to be the DC.

When I saw this, my first thought was well crap. It made me realize that they are a sleeping giant and it will only take the right hires to realize that.

It makes GT's hire that much more important. I don't think we have the resources that UNC has.

Without the right hire, we very well could be facing the "dark ages" of GT football.

Hope not

I have a lot of time and effort invested in GT. I don't want to have to go through this.?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I have always thought UNC was a sleeping giant. I saw a post the day before Mack Brown was hired again. It stated he was coming back and the kid from Texas Tech was going to be his OC and Gene Chizic was going to be the DC.

When I saw this, my first thought was well crap. It made me realize that they are a sleeping giant and it will only take the right hires to realize that.

It makes GT's hire that much more important. I don't think we have the resources that UNC has.

Without the right hire, we very well could be facing the "dark ages" of GT football.

Hope not

I have a lot of time and effort invested in GT. I don't want to have to go through this.?
UNC football is like Kentucky football in that they will never be a consistantly strong football program because they care more about basketball than anything else.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy how some of our fans think. Drives me nuts. Most of the national media folks say this is a great job and the best job on the market. Why argue with the very positive press.

It's because a lot of our fans have chicken little syndrome and refuse to believe GT can be at least competitive with programs like Clemson/UGA/FSU/etc. Doesn't mean we will always beat them, but we can give those programs a good run for their money. It's a built in excuse some GT fans have melted into their brain over the years because for some reason it makes them feel better about losing to those teams...and now, losing to teams like Duke/Pitt/USF...yuck.

Some of our fans forget GT was the original "smart school". At one time, we had the 2nd longest bowl streak, and that's when bowls were actually hard to qualify for.

My belief is you get what you expect out of life. Crazy thing is, GT fans have the highest expectations coming out of school and expect the most from their careers and ability to make a living, yet expect less than the best from our school's athletic program. GT has limitations, but those limitations are not as bad as some want to make it out to be. Otherwise, our HC opening would not be one of the better openings right now.

One of my biggest fears for this coaching search is a majority of our fans WANT GT to find a bad coach because it give them ammunition to say "I told you so...GT just can't compete...we have too much working against us...yada yada..." It's like GT failing will make them feel better about their low expectations. That's f'ing horrible...

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck

This is so short-sighted. A competitive GT program would do the same thing AU has done - build a bandwagon. Most of those "mercenaries" make lots of money and would love to have a nerd school with a national profile.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
One of my biggest fears for this coaching search is a majority of our fans WANT GT to find a bad coach because it give them ammunition to say "I told you so...GT just can't compete...we have too much working against us...yada yada..." It's like GT failing will make them feel better about their low expectations. That's f'ing horrible...

My eyes just rolled to the back of my head so hard at this I am worried I might have gotten a concussion. Lol.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My eyes just rolled to the back of my head so hard at this I am worried I might have gotten a concussion. Lol.

I suggest you go to the hospital then.

You must have missed the multiple "Wait till GT loses next year..." posts going on. We haven't even named a coach and our fans expect us to lose because the next guy isn't CPJ or an ex CPJ assistant.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I suggest you go to the hospital then.

You must have missed the multiple "Wait till GT loses next year..." posts going on. We haven't even named a coach and our fans expect us to lose because the next guy isn't CPJ or an ex CPJ assistant.
I really hope this isn't the case. I am disappointed that CPJ is leaving, but I'm also excited about the potential hires. I think the "I told you so" attitude needs to go away. It is not productive in any way. I don't care how they do it (ethically), I just want the team to succeed. If we need to stick with the TO to do that, so be it. If we need to switch to an NFL style offense or go Air Raid, I am all for those too. I just want to be competitive and I think that Stansbury is going to give us that chance with his decision.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
It's because a lot of our fans have chicken little syndrome and refuse to believe GT can be at least competitive with programs like Clemson/UGA/FSU/etc. Doesn't mean we will always beat them, but we can give those programs a good run for their money. It's a built in excuse some GT fans have melted into their brain over the years because for some reason it makes them feel better about losing to those teams...and now, losing to teams like Duke/Pitt/USF...yuck.

As an FYI, over the last 11 years, we played UGA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT collectively about 50 times. Of those games, the opponent was ranked over half the time. And yet we managed to win almost 40% of those games. Yes, while that could be better, that is more than the definition of “being competitive.”

Right now, Clemson and UGA (along with Alabama) are on a whole nother level from the rest of college football and we are definitely on a bad run against them. So too is all of college football. They are a combined 48-5 over the last two years, with 2 of those 5 losses coming in the national title game against Alabama.

That said, we did beat each of Miami, FSU, and VT the last time we played them, so let’s not pretend our current bad run against a pretty decent Duke somehow means we are no longer competitive with any of those teams.

We can be, we should be, and we are. And I hope we will continue to be under the new coach.