SbNation Podcast on GT Coaching Situation

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
By your initial measurement of 3 years. We averaged ~7-5. That is about average for our history. 4 years worse. But why stop there if it's not cherry picking? Why not 5 which brings us back to ~7-5. Again average.

I think we can do better and am excited to see who our new coach is. But to act doom and gloom like we are about to decline to the BL era is silly. Our recruiting class is on average with every other year. We may have one end in fire and the other ice. But we are very much average over the course of time.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
My goodness how is that cherry picking?

Is it cherry picking to say we haven’t been ranked since the second weekend in 2015?

I get so confused by some of you. Johnson has not been as successful recently as he was earlier in his career. I would love to know how you look at the numbers to come to a different conclusion. This pretty straightforward.

Cmon, man. I know you’re not really that obtuse. You only go back 4 seasons, so that you don’t include 2014.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
By your initial measurement of 3 years. We averaged ~7-5. That is about average for our history. 4 years worse. But why stop there if it's not cherry picking? Why not 5 which brings us back to ~7-5. Again average.

I think we can do better and am excited to see who our new coach is. But to act doom and gloom like we are about to decline to the BL era is silly. Our recruiting class is on average with every other year. We may have one end in fire and the other ice. But we are very much average over the course of time.

Just to be clear I’ve never said 3 years was some magic number by which coaches should be judged. My point was there was a downturn starting in 2015 so still including that year in my reasoning is very much consistent to my argument. For the record the nation obviously agrees with me as we haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015 which is Johnson’s longest such streak and our longest stretch in over 2 decades.

The thing that gets me is I have nothing against CPJ and wanted him to succeed here. I’m not trying carve a narrative in any way shape or form. I’m simply looking at results and coming to a conclusion. If you look at the results in a different manner then so be it.

Obviously I too am looking forward to a new start. Hopefully the fan base can unify.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Cmon, man. I know you’re not really that obtuse. You only go back 4 seasons, so that you don’t include 2014.

Exactly. Because who would claim the downturn started in 14? My liberal Arts degree is looking better every day I come on here.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to be clear I’ve never said 3 years was some magic number by which coaches should be judged. My point was there was a downturn starting in 2015 so still including that year in my reasoning is very much consistent to my argument. For the record the nation obviously agrees with me as we haven’t been ranked since the second week of 2015 which is Johnson’s longest such streak and our longest stretch in over 2 decades.

The thing that gets me is I have nothing against CPJ and wanted him to succeed here. I’m not trying carve a narrative in any way shape or form. I’m simply looking at results and coming to a conclusion. If you look at the results in a different manner then so be it.

Obviously I too am looking forward to a new start. Hopefully the fan base can unify.
So in that same breath, it's fair for me to say we have won 8(hopefully) + in 2 of the last 3 years. We are very much average now! So to your point, same data different lense.

But yessir. I'm hopeful for the future and will be pissed if we get wiz lol

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So in that same breath, it's fair for me to say we have won 8(hopefully) + in 2 of the last 3 years. We are very much average now! So to your point, same data different lense.

But yessir. I'm hopeful for the future and will be pissed if we get wiz lol

Hopefully we do win the bowl game and get to 8 wins again. It would be good for Johnson. We still wouldn’t be ranked however. Which is what Johnson was getting done at a much higher rate earlier in his stint here.

Enjoyed the discussion. Now I’m putting the phone and enjoying time with my family. Take care.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's because a lot of our fans have chicken little syndrome and refuse to believe GT can be at least competitive with programs like Clemson/UGA/FSU/etc. Doesn't mean we will always beat them, but we can give those programs a good run for their money. It's a built in excuse some GT fans have melted into their brain over the years because for some reason it makes them feel better about losing to those teams...and now, losing to teams like Duke/Pitt/USF...yuck.

Some of our fans forget GT was the original "smart school". At one time, we had the 2nd longest bowl streak, and that's when bowls were actually hard to qualify for.

My belief is you get what you expect out of life. Crazy thing is, GT fans have the highest expectations coming out of school and expect the most from their careers and ability to make a living, yet expect less than the best from our school's athletic program. GT has limitations, but those limitations are not as bad as some want to make it out to be. Otherwise, our HC opening would not be one of the better openings right now.

One of my biggest fears for this coaching search is a majority of our fans WANT GT to find a bad coach because it give them ammunition to say "I told you so...GT just can't compete...we have too much working against us...yada yada..." It's like GT failing will make them feel better about their low expectations. That's f'ing horrible...
You are just wrong here in just about all respects.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And right here we have the post of the week. Techster I’ve talked about self fulfilling prophecies on this board several times but apparently most of this don’t believe in the concept.
Just because we supported CPJ DOES not mean we are not going to support the new coach. In fact it is quite the opposite unlike you naysayers the past 11 years

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Smh. This is so far from the truth. Atlanta United created an atmosphere in BDS better than the team that plays there regularly. How is that not transferable?

Atlanta is the music and movie capital of the world right now. Why wouldn’t we want to take an advantage of that? Why wouldn’t we want to incorporate that in our atmosphere? Did you think it hurt or helped that Carmelo Anthony, someone with no affiliation with UGA, SEC, or the South, does an interview and says he wanted to experience that atmosphere live?
And said he always respected GT