Saved by Defense Stats

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Someone has probably already posted about this, but I couldn't remember the last time we won a game with two scores or less (less than or equal to 14 points) and I did a little digging. The last time this happened was against Gardner-Webb in 2008 season with a score of 10-7. Then the last time we won under those conditions against an FBS opponent was against Clemson in 2007 with a score of 13-3.

Obviously a weird stat since you need to do poorly on offense to qualify, but it's nice to see that our defense can bail us out if needed. For reference, CPJ was held to two scores only 16 times in his 143 game career at GT (11%), but lost 15 of those games. Whereas Chan Gailey was held to two scores 20 times in 76 games (26%), but he had Jon Tenuta there to help bail him out of 5 of those games.

So far Geoff Colins is 1-1 in this statistic, but hopefully the offense picks up to the point where we don't score 14 or below again. Either way, I'm very happy with how the defense has looked and I hope our guys continue to collect accolades for superb play.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting stat. What would be inverse stat to winning when you score 2 tds or less? Losing when you score 35 or more? I can think of a few times that has happened as well.

Suffice to say, we’ll be more likely to lose when we give up 35 or more under the new regime, and more likely to win when we score 14 or less.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Interesting stat. What would be inverse stat to winning when you score 2 tds or less? Losing when you score 35 or more? I can think of a few times that has happened as well.

Suffice to say, we’ll be more likely to lose when we give up 35 or more under the new regime, and more likely to win when we score 14 or less.

I guess the inverse be the Tennessee gm or 2010 (?) UGA gms

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Under Johnson the magic number seemed to be around 28. If we gave up more than 28 we were very unlikely to win.

in 2018 we beat UL when we gave up 31 and lost the other 4 games when we gave up 28. (1-4)
in 2017 the most we gave up in a win was 24. We lost all 4 games where the opponent scored more than 28. (0-4)
In 2016 we beat duke when they scored 35 and lost the other 3 games we gave up more than 28 (1-3)
In 2015 we were 0-5 in those situations
In 2014 we beat GSU when they scored 38 and MSU when they scored 34. We lost the other 3 such games. (2-3)
In 2013 we were 0-4 in those scenarios
In 2012 we beat UNC when they scored 50, and lost the other 5 games we gave up more than 28. (1-5)
In 2011 we were 2-3 in such games.
In 2010 we were 0-3.
In 2009 we were 4-2
In 2008 we were 1-1.

In total we were 12-37 when we gave up more than 28 for about a 25%. It was also getting worse as nearly half the wins came in the first two years. That was somewhat to be expected because the nature of our offense, but for a team focused so much on one side it was a bit troubling. Don't have numbers to compare it too so I don't know how other teams generally do in those situations.